Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Not related to the discussion at hand but, I have noticed that my car idles at 9kg/h mass flow. I know that, on a factory gasoline car, these cars usually idle around 14kg/h. Is this possibly because of the fact that I'm running e85? I never really thought about it. The car seems to run fine. In fact, I have no genuine knock anywhere and my trims are fairly decent considering my lack of on-the-fly emulation.

How would E85 make any difference in regards to ingested air? The cylinders are still moving the same distance, the VE is still the same. If you are making reference to the fact that you have to inject more fuel, so therefore there is less space for air ingestion, it would be a negligible effect.

My money is on a vacuum leak, or poor engine health (worn valve seats or worn rings).

I'm figuring that because the fuel requires less air for a given flow, it's lowering the pulse width on the IAC and using less air because E85 uses less air per quantity of fuel. I have already checked for vacuum leaks, there are none. The last time I ran 93 octane gasoline, the mass of air was actually a little higher than it should have been at 16 or so kg/h. The engine is well worn, however, all but one cylinder was at 165psig and the low one was 152 after a drive with no extra oil. A warm and wet test lept up to around 175 across the board. The specs listed by Volvo are 156-185psig. It's confusing me because I have nothing leaking. The intake manifold gaskets and all the vacuum lines are new with exception to the EVAP system over the tank. I capped off the EVAP system to check at one point. I'm also not running excessively rich under heavy boost. It would make sense that considerably more fuel is injected per quantity of air so the engine needs less air to maintain the same energy required to keep it rotating at a steady idle. I was hoping someone could chime in and verify my thoughts. Not so sure about them now.

look at this ''Madafaca''

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpiRfrptP3yRFQxUGllR25Zc2c/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpiRfrptP3yY2lTVVFIMzdXTUU/edit?usp=sharing

seems like a problem to be solved =/

about the fuel cut, when running corrected MAF tables, it's solved

i've sanded a little bit the rotor and the CAP terminals, and the engine runs different, but the problem is not over, over 3500rpm the car is loosing power with some misfiring ... gonna change the rotor and cap,next monday

I'm figuring that because the fuel requires less air for a given flow, it's lowering the pulse width on the IAC and using less air because E85 uses less air per quantity of fuel. I have already checked for vacuum leaks, there are none. The last time I ran 93 octane gasoline, the mass of air was actually a little higher than it should have been at 16 or so kg/h. The engine is well worn, however, all but one cylinder was at 165psig and the low one was 152 after a drive with no extra oil. A warm and wet test lept up to around 175 across the board. The specs listed by Volvo are 156-185psig. It's confusing me because I have nothing leaking. The intake manifold gaskets and all the vacuum lines are new with exception to the EVAP system over the tank. I capped off the EVAP system to check at one point. I'm also not running excessively rich under heavy boost. It would make sense that considerably more fuel is injected per quantity of air so the engine needs less air to maintain the same energy required to keep it rotating at a steady idle. I was hoping someone could chime in and verify my thoughts. Not so sure about them now.

I am running E85 and am getting around 14kg/h, so that is not it. I did not notice any change when I went from petrol to E85, but i wasnt looking for one. .

Keep in mind that a vacuum leak may not be a boost leak. There are some check valves in the system (e.g. to the EVAP system), which means that vacuum is allowed in some areas that boost is not.

Also, I havent verified this, but I believe that the valve to the EVAP system lets air get sucked from the tank during startup. If that valve is bad (and not closing), it will let air get sucked in all the time. Maybe something to look into?

Just some thoughts to help you out, I know what it is like to be banging your head against a wall when you have already checked everything :-)

Also, I havent verified this, but I believe that the valve to the EVAP system lets air get sucked from the tank during startup. If that valve is bad (and not closing), it will let air get sucked in all the time. Maybe something to look into?

My Evap valve is pulsing most of the time, warm or cold

Edited by Avinitlarge

Evap purge valve should not be open on startup, nor run most of the time. Except for when the diag is running, it normally only opens I think at cruising speeds, steady throttle, for a short time. The diag routine should happen during same conditions. It monitors the ft HO2S for a swing to the rich side when opened. So on accel, it wont test system.

Not a big deal until you start going above the stock highest load value of 8ms of load, which you certainly will do with that turbo.

What injectors are you running. At only 10.8ms of load you are running they at 147% duty cycle.

You need to work on your timing map as well, you are getting loads of knock, even in areas where you aren't maxing out your injectors.

Also, why are you flooring you car when it isn't even close to warmed up?

After some testing, I'm going to give my opinion on the COP conversion.
Idle seems smoother

cruise seems smoother
the pull through the rev range seems so much stronger, even at high RPM
Is it worth doing, definitely.
I have elimanated most of my knock just by converting to COP

The only issue I have is the starting issue even after swapping the coils. Will keep on turning over and pop through the exhaust, May take a couple of attempts before starting

This is the knock I have now, almost half of what I had with the old system. This was from a ten minute run with lots of heavy foot

cop_knock20-7-14.png

Edited by Avinitlarge

Those are good news Avinitlarge,

I recall you had before a lot of KR in really low/low/medium loads and low/medium rpms. Not so much on high load/rpm right? If swapping into the COP eliminated most of that low/medium KR I think something on your old ignition system was not in shape or something else was creating it - actually KR is still happening but it was smoothed. So the source for your low/medium KR problem may still be other.

I believe COP conversion is a great mod but I think its biggest effect should be felt on high load and rpm.

Are you sure your engine mounts are good?

I've been checking mine closely yesterday and I found trans mount and right mount are extremelly soft and bouncy. I'll replace it soon and I hope this may end with my shifting phantom knock and with my random and stupid KR when pulling.

Hello,

i want too convert my s70 t5 too coil on plug, i have a 960 ecu here, they already have the resistors on the board... converted too ostrich!

when the bin with the modified code comes out too run cop?? please can send me someone!

i think is a good thing too make the volvo better

the original system is more then bad, i am on 580hp now and need something better! the distributor system is so sensitive about knock...

regards Zeno

Edited by Zeno3