Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Oh the joys of tuning injectors :( I spent a long time getting greens as near to zero as possible. Ive just bought a set of EV14 750cc so the fun begins again, Car is running and drive OK but at 19psi I am seeing very low AFR's. Constant and dead times need some serious adjustment

Yeah that's an old post. You are correct.

I just wanted to share a bit of info about the way I see it. :)

I also like to think everybody is regarding the algorithm with scrutiny.

It's the only way to improve it if necessary.

Avinit, get a helper in the car :)

With the ostrich it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to get it right.

Also keep in mind that any vacuum leak will screw you over.

Also having good power cabling, or a buck converter to provide stable voltage to the injector immensly helps the process.

Bad battery cabling also makes the process much harder (the ground cabling seems to go bad on these cars over time).

It's one aspect in which the iteration method is not perfect. It doesn't account for changes in supply voltage, as this is hard to simulate.

If the cabling and the voltage regulator of the alternator are in good condition, this won't be much of a problem.

Using a buck converter to feed the injectors completely circumvents this though.

Edited by venderbroeck

I think I found another small error in the M4.4 Wikia. As I've read, the diameter for the 850 MAF housing is 2.75", and that for the S90/960 is 3" in diameter. On the Wikia, the S90/960 MAF is specified as 2.75".

Should I correct it, or there's something else wrong in the measurements ?

Edited by Midnight Caller

2.75" is 70mm, 3" is 76mm. Maybe the difference is in the lip thickness ? It's 6mm still, I don't think the housing lip is 3mm thick though !

If all are measured at the interior, maybe it would be ok to add the 850MAF (I think by this rule would be 2.5" inner diameter) for comparison purposes. I stopped a little and asked myself "why change it if it's the same diameter housing ?".

I have a 960 MAF on the way now, I'll post back with the inner and outer diameter.

Avinit, get a helper in the car :)

With the ostrich it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to get it right.

Also keep in mind that any vacuum leak will screw you over.

Also having good power cabling, or a buck converter to provide stable voltage to the injector immensly helps the process.

Bad battery cabling also makes the process much harder (the ground cabling seems to go bad on these cars over time).

It's one aspect in which the iteration method is not perfect. It doesn't account for changes in supply voltage, as this is hard to simulate.

If the cabling and the voltage regulator of the alternator are in good condition, this won't be much of a problem.

Using a buck converter to feed the injectors completely circumvents this though.

I have considered a helper, problem is, most of the people I know locally are not clued up enough. I would let someone else drive the car whilst I do the adjustments but, I suffer from motion sickness, so looking at a laptop in a moving car isn't good for me.

I did buy a buck converter which I am going to fit once the weather starts to get a little better.

The ground cable is something I need to check. I am seeing about 12v at idle quite a lot. Not sure if its the alternator or the ground cable. Ive fallen behind with car jobs due to the winter.

Edited by Avinitlarge

I think I found another small error in the M4.4 Wikia. As I've read, the diameter for the 850 MAF housing is 2.75", and that for the S90/960 is 3" in diameter. On the Wikia, the S90/960 MAF is specified as 2.75".

Should I correct it, or there's something else wrong in the measurements ?

Nooo, the diameters mentioned in the Wikia are right !!

They are ID = Inner Diameters

(Measuring outer diameters is meaningless because of varying wall thicknesses)

850 : 2.5" ID

S90: 2.75" ID

BMW 540 : 3.25" ID

Doiing things all over again, esthablished already a while ago, is a bit of a waste of time and topic space.

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 2

I'm really sorry for digging that up again, but I'm doing my homework now, going for an upgrade and I thought it would be a good time to clarify things. For example I already corrected the wikia regarding the last column (75% TPS) for tuning, which is almost never reached, modified it to 70% because I've hit my head against the wall never reaching those values :)

Small things leading to big head scratching questions sometimes.

I added the 2.5" ID to the wikia now and modified the stock 850 MAF limit from 800kg/h to 826kg/h, and a note on using a dot instead of a comma depending on regional settings set up in windows (I had to use a dot, not a comma).

Edited by Midnight Caller

Hmm could be something to do with measuring inner or outer diameter.

I'm not sure though, maybe someone else knows?

Idiot !! :):)

you were there when we measured it....

I'm really sorry for digging that up again, but I'm doing my homework now, going for an upgrade and I thought it would be a good time to clarify things. For example I already corrected the wikia regarding the last column (75% TPS) for tuning, which is almost never reached, modified it to 70% because I've hit my head against the wall never reaching those values :)

Small things leading to big head scratching questions sometimes.

I'll add the 2.5" ID to the wikia now and modify the stock 850 MAF limit from 800kg/h to 826kg/h

Haha no problem... :)

The last column is never reached by the way

(I thought this was already mentioned in the Wikia by Venderbroeck?)

Edited by Piet

Otherwise you're completely correct, but I consider dead times as "fine tuning" for now :)

It isn't!

Especially with larger injectors.

You won't get your trims really right without setting the dead times correctly.

I advise you to do the iterarion method we described, it isn't that much work or time consuming, or you wil base your whole tune on deadtimes beiing off.

(Just some words of advice :))

Edited by Piet

Thanks for the information, it makes sense!

I've made a little review of the current rev5b 607/608 xdf and changed a few things as a test.

I've added a changeable RPM-axis (used in acceleration enrichment ) for these maps

Load threshold lambda control (both banks),

Overcharge load,

Maximum boost pressure reduction (min factor),

LDR boost pressure reduction / cycle (delta factor),

Throttle angle threshold for LDR active,

LDR time per charge pressure increase by 1 incr,

LDR KFP2,

LDR waiting time between 2 standard charge pressure lowerings,

Throttle angle threshold for charge pressure increase,

Boost pressure reduction factor, manual transmission

(F913 replace the adresses FA71, CC8C, CD8C because they seems strange...)

New conversion factor for the Knock Detection Map (is it better or worse?)

I removed the map max enrichment in knocking map due to the fact that it adresses the same map as knock fuel enrichment (1)

I swapped the axis for knock fuel enrichment 1 and 2 as a tryout since the max enrichment in knocking map was like that...

I made the voltage axis for the dwell maps more correct since the axis before was not linear at bottom and did stop at 14V.

Please verify if these changes are valid and usefull or if I have been totally wrong by making these changes.

Download the 607/608 test update here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oen0xi98s9b4yi8/rev5b_607-608_fox%20_01.xdf?dl=0

// Turboforslund

Hi!

I did change the voltage axis adress by 1 byte(red text above) in my xdf, since I do believe it's not correct in the rev5 xdf.

It's the same voltage axis for the deadtimes if I'm not wrong. Have anyone seen this eccept me?

// Turboforslund

@Piet: dimensions confirmed, Magneti Marelli housing is 70mm interior, 80mm exterior (2.75" ID with 3.1" OD)

I'll put the greens after installing the S90 MAF, and play a little with them, of course using your iteration. It won't be easy as I don't have an Ostrich unfortunately :( If I remember correctly, there were some dead times for greens specified on this thread, which worked pretty good, I'll just have to dig them out.