Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Nope, neither seemed to be useful

Is the conversion for dead times correct in the XDF? After installing my 750's, I had to increase the dead times .35 over the data sheet values. Piet thinks its to high and so does the supplier, yet the car runs sweet

I wouldn't worry to much about that though, if your car runs very well on it and fueltrims are ok with narrowband control.

Did you determine them with the iteration method?

I wouldn't worry to much about that though, if your car runs very well on it and fueltrims are ok with narrowband control.

Did you determine them with the iteration method?

I did. I didn't take long for me to set them up at all, A matter of a couple of hours max. I just need to copy everything over to the WB bin now.

I have thought about creating a routine to write to the ecu in real time. The ecu cannot do this at runtime (there's no instructions to do so) so it appears this would be no trivial matter. I did come up with a possible workaround, but it will only work for stationary stuff like the inj constant and a single deadtime. It's more or less complicated stuff so I'm not sure when and if this will see the light of day.

Hi,

Midnightcaller: Do you flash on bench or have you tested my in-car flashing kit+fan mod?

All:

Would it work to make a on/off switch on the 30-supply to clear the adaptations w/o removing the ECU all the time?

Regarding the WB closed loop SW:

How do the sw handle fueling before the lambda wakes up, is there base values stored somewhere except in the VE map? Is the closed loop regulation stopped during transients.

// Turboforslund

I mentioned pulling the ECU out and taking it inside, so I'm still doing bench flashing, but I ordered today a step-up converter (4 bucks) and I'll be looking for a SPDT switch or try to use an ON-OFF switch and a 5 pole relay to do the fan trick :)

It will be more complicated to decide whether I will take the painful road ans run wires to the cabin and install the switch inside, or put it on the ECU housing and have to pop the hood everytime I flash...

I have thought about creating a routine to write to the ecu in real time. The ecu cannot do this at runtime (there's no instructions to do so) so it appears this would be no trivial matter. I did come up with a possible workaround, but it will only work for stationary stuff like the inj constant and a single deadtime. It's more or less complicated stuff so I'm not sure when and if this will see the light of day.

I'm not sure if you can erase anything less than the full flash, but you can turn ones into zeroes, so you would have to make a system to move the data and lookup for every new write until available free space is filled.

Writing to RAM is possible in normal diagnose communication, so if you could move some data to RAM, you could adjust it there.

There is a company selling some strange device claiming to be able to adjust the tuning through diagnose connection. (FS3 and VP12)

I'm quite sure it CANNOT work like described:

How it Works:
The FS3 uses an exclusive process of Dynamic Soft-Flashing not available anywhere else. Each FS3 comes programmed with a set of EPROM addresses that directly affect fuel efficiency. When the ECU attempts to read one of these addresses, the FS3 patches the factory value with one from its on-board highly tuned map.
If it is not just a total fake, I cannot think of anything else than writing to RAM or maybe there are some calibration possibilities in the McMess protocol.

Regarding the WB closed loop SW:

How do the sw handle fueling before the lambda wakes up, is there base values stored somewhere except in the VE map? Is the closed loop regulation stopped during transients.

// Turboforslund

Before the lamda is activated the ECU reads the values in the VE table and superimpose things like cold start enrichment and such, just as it would do with the narrowband regulation. The wb regulation doesn't differ from the narrowband regarding to that. De facto... it uses exactly the same routine.

A wibeband, however, doesn't need a warmup time as long as a narrowband sensor, therefore the "Time for theoretical Lambda readiness" can be set to for instance 4 sec or so.

Therefore the ECU can start the closed loop regulation much sooner, avoiding the stock overrich cold start condition.

What transients do you mean exactly?

Edited by Piet

Hi,

Midnightcaller: Try to put it inside the car, makes it a lot easier! :) I love it!

Piet: I did mean that the wall-wetting transient fueling calibration normally turn the lambda control off for a short while. In order to tweak it right during tip-in/tip-out it makes sense to not influence it by the lambda control (like the WOT reaction).

Maybe i'm confusing things with my questions but I'm just curious (my daytime work is calibration of modern bosch systems).

// Turboforslund

I've been driving with it a few moths now, as some others are too, it seems to be working quite good.

It makes tuning a lot easier. Mileage has improved considerably.

It will probably be implemented in a next software version.

I was reading an old post about using an ME7 filter box (e.g. from a 99+ x70) housing to provide a 3" coupling to a MAF housing. Has anyone tried using the ME7 MAF housing/sensor also?

The ME7 housing doesnt seem compatible with the M44 sensor (it would be oriented sideways), so I guess you would have to take the housing/sensor as a package and change the plug on your harness.

Edited by clintonpriddle

Quick question. Is the TCV really "learned" in time ? Like adaptive knock ? Meaning that overshoot/undershoot gets smaller through time, as you are driving it ?

I am asking because even if I lowered the TCV pilot map, I am still getting situations with over 1 diference in load (real over requested) deviation.

That was driving max 10 kilometers from pulling the ECU and I see TCV values well over what's in the TCV map at throttle tip in to WOT.

Thanks !

I was reading an old post about using an ME7 filter box (e.g. from a 99+ x70) housing to provide a 3" coupling to a MAF housing. Has anyone tried using the ME7 MAF housing/sensor also?

The ME7 housing doesnt seem compatible with the M44 sensor (it would be oriented sideways), so I guess you would have to take the housing/sensor as a package and change the plug on your harness.

I used a XC70 lid, which fits the 850 box, in combination with a S90/960 MAF which fits right into it.