Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

After a reflash on my car, it tends to overboost for a short time till I drive it like recommended by IPD.

I don't turn off the engine and wait, I figured how could the ECM learn when its turned off, but the relearning process helps mine

Looks like a loose connection in your OBD-kkl-USB interface or something like that.

Ah, it could be. I bought a flat extension cable because I was fed up of the centre console lid being up whilst driving. It could possible be a problem with that. It was fine yesterday. Cheap Chinese extension

I am hoping that I can use the WB02 signal from my Innovate LC-2 to have complete closed-loop wideband regulation. Am I correct in assuming that your software-based wideband regulation only requires a calibrated WB02 input to work properly?

The problem with the LC-2 is the output speed. It can't be set to instant, fastest speed is 1/12th. I used the LC-2 but sold it and bought a spartan2.

The problem with the LC-2 is the output speed. It can't be set to instant, fastest speed is 1/12th. I used the LC-2 but sold it and bought a spartan2.

The Spartan2 is an interesting option.

Piet, For those of us who are running the LC-2, Spartan2 and other such gauge-less WB02 controllers, do you think it might be possible to repurpose say the instantaneous MPG display to display an AFR/lambda value? Or in a case where there is a failure condition (AFR/Lambda value out of expected range) for wideband regulation, can there be a flashing CEL or something of the sort to indicate as much?

100% agreed, looking forward to using Raxorx's spreadsheet!

Why not to simply use the p-part bin (TCV map only)?

I've been using it since the beginning. And for those exceding 12.24 of load like I was exceding I think it's a requirement to use the p-part bin, unless you rescale your maf table and all of your fueling and ignition maps accordingly.

p-part bin works great for 99% of the situations I guess.

The Spartan2 is an interesting option.

Piet, For those of us who are running the LC-2, Spartan2 and other such gauge-less WB02 controllers, do you think it might be possible to repurpose say the instantaneous MPG display to display an AFR/lambda value?

I like that idea. We are tuning Volvo's who cares about MPG, Its never going to be good

Sorry, I was tired. Just fit a gauge or even better, log the AFR.

Edited by Avinitlarge

I've been using it since the beginning. And for those exceding 12.24 of load like I was exceding I think it's a requirement to use the p-part bin, unless you rescale your maf table and all of your fueling and ignition maps accordingly.

Piet is not a fan of the p-part bin according to >this post in LPT Tuning thread.

Could someone attempt to explain the difference please? I studied PID controls back in college but forgotten most of what I once knew I'm afraid.

I think you misunderstand. There are two separate things here. The Housing and the Sensor. The ME7 MAF housing is larger ID. The ME7 sensor in the housing doesn't register any more flow than the M4.x . The housing is what makes the difference. The M4.x sensor will not fit in the ME7 housing neck. Put them side by side and see for your self. The orientation is different, and the hole is slotted to prevent Mis installation of a different sensor. The wiring is also different.

Thanks, but I dont think I misunderstand, I just didnt have all this information before me at the time of my original post :-) The only thing I didn't verify myself was that the ME7 sensor in the ME7 housing doesnt register any more flow than the M4.x sensor in the M4.x housing - but I trust you on that. If the ME7 housing combo did register higher flow (which I assumed due to the larger size) and could be used with the M4.4 ECU (which I wasnt sure about) I was going to try to find wiring diagrams to help me connect it all up, but now I have realised that there is no point :-)

In short, I have now gone back to my old plan, i.e. to upgrade the MAF at a later date using the M4.x sensor in a larger housing.

Yes, as long as you're always driving in the same cirumstances it does.

The P-part bin does make tuning easier, but at a cost.

It's a bit "the easy way out"

For further explanations:

Edited by Piet

And for those exceding 12.24 of load like I was exceding I think it's a requirement to use the p-part bin, unless you rescale your maf table and all of your fueling and ignition maps accordingly .

Not true.

When you're exceeding 12.4 load with the P-part bin you will still have the same problems, reading cells in the last row of the tables for everything bigger then 12.4 load.

So rescaling will still be necessary.

Exceeding 12.4 load with a small turbo like a18T or 19T b.t.w. is often due to injectors with greater capacity then necessary. Greater capacity will decrease the injector constant.

Since load is caculated with the formula load= (airmass / (RPM*injector constan))*certain constants, installing higher capacity injectors or increasing fuel pressure will increase load.

Best balanced is when peak duty cycle of the injectors is about 85%.

With larger turbos you do need much bigger injectors to match the increased max air mass, exceeding 12.4 load will become inevitable because of the increased airmass and decreased injector constant.

Rescaling therefore becomes necessary not only with the normal bin but with the P-part bin as well.

Edited by Piet