Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

From my experience if you turn the key on then flip the boot mode switch, the fans do not run. I have flashed like that without issue but its probably not right! :lol:

​When I first did a flash I loosened the ground then got distracted by one of my housemates, and forgot to completely disconnect it. put key in second position and sounded like a jet engine was firing up in my garage. So unplug ground.

topic switch..

Do you guys disable lambda control when tuning your VE table?  I'm trying to lean it out at low load for fuel economy when cruising (load in the 1-3 range) but doesn't seem to change what the WB is reading under those conditions; stays in the mid to low 14's AFR and gas mileage is about same or worse than when i had the green tune in there (18-19 mpg mixed driving).

Right now i have lambda control disabled above 3.5 load; tempted to turn it down further..

topic switch..

Do you guys disable lambda control when tuning your VE table?  I'm trying to lean it out at low load for fuel economy when cruising (load in the 1-3 range) but doesn't seem to change what the WB is reading under those conditions; stays in the mid to low 14's AFR and gas mileage is about same or worse than when i had the green tune in there (18-19 mpg mixed driving).

Right now i have lambda control disabled above 3.5 load; tempted to turn it down further..

​What you need is full wideband control...

It will be out in the next revision.coming up

• Upvote 1

To avoid clutter I will make this straightforward. I am making a new intake, will be upgrading my MAF to this 3.5" from a BMW http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39-M3-Z3-540i-740i-Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-MAF-Bosch-0280217800-NEW-/380407830852

I knew I had read it somewhere in here when people upgrade to this some have had a problem with the element leaking when swapping out the BMW one with the Volvo one. Is this the o-ring people are having leaking with causing the MAF flow tables to not be correct?

DSCF3400_zpsnzjnp3nw.jpg

If so, I talked with Aaron and he said he remembered some saying they have added an extra o-ring or some silicone sealant to it. For anyone with any knowledge on this that could chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Tommy I can help you with the O-Ring - I went through the same thing. I will have to measure mine again though and tell you what standard size it is. I can also send you one as well... I have a warehouse of seals haha

Is the picture you posted above your set up? Curious who has/had green Viton in this application.

Edit: I haven't actually tested mine but I know it will work. I measured the current groove and the 540 housing bore and calculated roughly 20% compression on a ring and found the correct size haha

Edited by gmsgltr

Tommy I can help you with the O-Ring - I went through the same thing. I will have to measure mine again though and tell you what standard size it is. I can also send you one as well... I have a warehouse of seals haha

Is the picture you posted above your set up? Curious who has/had green Viton in this application.

Edit: I haven't actually tested mine but I know it will work. I measured the current groove and the 540 housing bore and calculated roughly 20% compression on a ring and found the correct size haha

​Greg that would be perfect. If you wanted to ship me a o-ring and I could pay you for shipping/your time/materials that would be amazing.

It is not my actual setup. The only picture google wanted to give me of the element haha I haven't pulled mine apart or have an extra one otherwise I would have just done that.

Let me know man! Thanks for the response. I would also be interested in how you calculated the compression % just for my own nerd purposes :D

Edited by Tommy.

​What you need is full wideband control...

It will be out in the next revision.coming up

​Thanks Piet; yeah I already knew that; anxiously awaiting next rev..:)

But what about my first question?   Is turning down/off NB lambda control (at least temporarily) a valid method to tune the VE table in low load areas of the map?

​Thanks Piet; yeah I already knew that; anxiously awaiting next rev..:)

But what about my first question?   Is turning down/off NB lambda control (at least temporarily) a valid method to tune the VE table in low load areas of the map?

​You will have to turn that off to tune a VE table. You will also need a proper wideband sensor to make tuning the VE table successful and you can't divert from stoichmetric mixture in the ranges where NB lambda closed loop is enabled.

Piet's mod does away with the VE table and uses the same table for a target AFR and uses wideband sensor/controller output voltage as an active part of the calculation.

While this works just fine if your sensor and controller are fast and precise enough, other ECUs often use the wideband the same way the narrowband is used in the M4.3 and M4.4. They still work with a VE table, have an extra target AFR table and only use the wideband output to calculate fuel trims. This allows for slower sensor/controller setups and might (if both systems have proper fault diagnosis algorithms, which isn't the case in the M4.3/M4.4) be more robust.

• Downvote 1

With my WB mod the ECU still uses the VE table to calculate basic injection times.  It's therefore important that the MAf table is correct and the injectors are well calibrated.

This calibration needs to be done according to our iteration method described in the Wikia, calibration is done with widebandcontrol/narrowband control and fueltrims disabled.

That way the requested AFRs in the VE table represent the actual achieved AFR already closely. The wide band input is used to create a closed loop on top of that.

This way the needed corrections to exactly achieve the requested AFR can be rather small and therefore rather fast.

If calibrations are off, the wideband control  will still strive for  AFRs as requested in the VE table,  but will be slower and less precise.

It does work good enough  with slow widebandcontrollers like the innovate 1 but works much better and even more precise  with faster widebandcontrollers like the Spartan 2.

Every closed loop sytem oscillates around  requested values, the faster the sensor the smaller the oscillations.

Advantage of this system is that when the wideband completely  fails, the AFRs will not become completely beserk, and  will still be following more or less, roughly the requested AFRs as dictated in the VE table.

This way the system is intrinsically already quite robust.

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 2