Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

So ive been messing around with this a bit I used the "18psi " map boost control maps to modify my map. I am unable to get more than 14 PSI and typically a sustained 12 psi.  The car pulling harder than before, though.

Is it suggested to get a boost controller and bypass the stock system?

Also, I can't find a section for SAS and I'm wanting to pull mine off. I will be building a a new 2.5 or 3 inch down pipe myself.

Sorry I have another :)question, is there a decel enrichment setting? This could greatly cut fuel consumption!

Edited by mrjacobrussell

Which "18" psi boost map is that? And are you talking about the TCV map and/or target load map?

A "18 psi map" for a car may not translate into 18 psi in another car. Apart from boost leaks, things such as what kind of turbo you have, what spring rate your WG actuator has, what CBV you have etc leads to different boost even with the same map.

You don't need to bypass the stock system. The stock system is perfectly able to handle high boost levels.

For instance with my 20T I was having 22/23psi. Of course after 5800rpm or so it couldn't do more than 18psi (that's a turbo limitation).

This weekend i finalized the carputer project. I ended up with a NUC in the dashboard case and a double din android device to control it by RDP. A mobile phone will work too.

With a homebrew user interface and some scripts, it was possible to make tunerpro touchscreen friendly and "workable" on a 7" screen.

When I am in front of my house after a ride, the carputer syncs the log file automatically with my home network. Inside home I can look at the log file and modify my bin. Just on my normal PC. Next morning I press "upload bin" and I am ready for a next improvement. No more laptop in and out of the car e.t.c. Every day a log.

First I got my self a nice flat OBD cable.

2015050201.jpg

2015050202.jpg

M3 ATX automotive PSU is mounted on the left of the glovebox. Intel NUC inside.

2015050205.jpg

2015050207.jpg

Daily logging is a fact for me.

2015050209.jpg

When I touch "stop recording" an OSK pops up, so i can type the filename of the log.

This post is not directly related to tuning. But this automatic wireless log and bin syncing is a big improvement in tuning productivity.

Edited by razorx
Added a phrase for completeness
  • Upvote 7

That's interesting but I think the laptop is still the most productive way if you are really interested to tune the car within a few hours and not a few days/weeks.

I am not willing to tune in a few hours. I want to optimize as much details as possible. That can only be done with lots of logging. Patience and only working on one thing at a time. I think that is a good way to get a well balanced tune. 

​I still use a laptop or normal PC for tuning. The difference, is that I dont have to put in in the car. I leave it at home. ;) . I do intentionally not tune while being in the car. I just collect data, sync it automatically.

After my drive to work, i do not have to take a laptop out of the car against theft. But I have been logging during this ride in the meantime.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I understand that.

For me, having to bring the laptop with me a few times when I want to tune is as simple as taking my wallet. There's no big deal with it.

Anyway, for me that wouldn't work as I wouldn't have the patience to tune for instance a new turbo within 1 month or something like that.

To tune high loads/WOT, having the laptop is better because you can immediately change whatever you need, boost, ignition, fuel, etc. It would be a nightmare to tune for a new turbo (for instance) doing a change per day. It's like the same as to have to get back home to take the ECU out and flash it (like if we haven't the ostrich).

To tune light loads having daily logs would be better for sure but usually light loads are not critical as high loads.

I'm just giving my personal opinion :)

I think that's a good improvement but I still prefer the laptop method. Don't get me wrong.

Keep the good work.

Self tuning is an ongoing process. Regarding to that, the system made by Razorx seems to be extremely efficient. Of course with tuning in a major change, like a new turbo, a laptop comes in handy but that's still possible with his system.

Tuning is not about tuning at WOT alone, but for great drivability tuning at partial load is much more important and that cannot be done in a few runs on the street for that Razorx system seems to be really handy to me.

• Upvote 1

so, trying to flash new bin onto this ecu, and keep hitting this error

im using 13.8v 

i have tried everything. 

its probobaly something simple, but after 3hrs of trouble shooting my brain is fried. can someone please help!!

error.gif

It would.

I've been messing with it a little already.
I got so far as cloning me7 ecu's using various tools from nefmoto.
I'm working on the disassembly, but I didn't have much time up until now to really dig into it yet.
I'm intending to make me7 my summer project, and I've been talking to various people about it.
It will take a long time to get going though.

so, trying to flash new bin onto this ecu, and keep hitting this error

im using 13.8v 

i have tried everything. 

its probobaly something simple, but after 3hrs of trouble shooting my brain is fried. can someone please help!!

error.gif

​On my bench flashing setup i have to crank up the pwr supply to almost 16v; otherwise i get erase and/or pgming errors.  Also the laptop (really old ibm thinkpad) has to be plugged into the wall or I get same issues.  FWIW.

It would.

I've been messing with it a little already.
I got so far as cloning me7 ecu's using various tools from nefmoto.
I'm working on the disassembly, but I didn't have much time up until now to really dig into it yet.
I'm intending to make me7 my summer project, and I've been talking to various people about it.
It will take a long time to get going though.

​Just bought a 2001 t5 wagon and I would like a backup ecu, could you give me a DIY on the ME7 cloning?

Thanks.