Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

The actual AFR will never always exactly be  the same as the requested AFR., but will be oscillating somewhat around the requested AFR, ihherent to a feedback (closed loop) regulation. 

​Got it.

I leaned out my maps, now that the WBO2 can bring values closer to chosen they don't need to be anywhere near as low as they were. Added more timing over 12ms Load, I'm not getting any signs of knock with the rescaling so far, however, it's way too fat under higher load/ part throttle. See how this goes tomorrow.

TimingVEchangesAfterJun03log_zpssq991uvr

old scaling VE & Timing for comparison 

Screenshot%202015-05-28%2018.50.04_zpszq

example from yesterday, way to rich for part throttle, even if the load is already over stock max of 12.24

Screenshot%202015-06-02%2021.44.43_zpsox 

Edited by lookforjoe

The revision of your VE table looks good as well as the ignition table.  I'am curious how they will turn out.

(From before your last revision)

ve-hussein.jpgve-hussein.jpg

The system is working like it should.

15.55 AFR is requested in the table and in the graph (green line). The  Actual AFR ( blue line) is oscillation around that value..

WBlogHussein1.jpg

Red line in the lower graph is load.

Blue line in the lower graph is TPS

(yep: 15.17 load @‌ 72% TPS!!!   :P)

The behaviour of the AFR mod is best judged with aid of a graph. That way it's visible whether the actual AFR is following the requested AFR adequately.

Edited by Piet

The revision of your VE table looks good as well as the ignition table.  I'am curious how they will turn out.

The behaviour of the AFR mod is best judged with aid of a graph. That way it's visible whether the actual AFR is following the requested AFR adequately.

​Feels very good with the increased timing. Having the revised Load table makes a huge difference in being able to tune higher timing. I am seeing 16ms load by 40% throttle - I have no knock at all, running more timing at higher loads than previously. VE mapping still needs work, and I have areas that still run in the low 11's even though requested is over 12. Having trouble going WOT, since it goes very rich & I have to push through that to get to the higher load/leaner AFR areas. I'll add some screenshots from the xls file & TP later. Can't figure out how to get the WB AFR, RPM+ & Load2448 to graph or in the history tables (which is kinda cool to playback)

Edited by lookforjoe

​Feels very good with the increased timing. Having the revised Load table makes a huge difference in being able to tune higher timing. I am seeing 16ms load by 40% throttle - I have no knock at all, running more timing at higher loads than previously. 

​Great !!

Yeh, the WB needs some more work., there's still more te be gained I think

Edited by Piet

Anymore updates with the release of the release of the new rev? I've seen that a few members are currently testing it on their cars (Hussein, etc.) but I haven't seen a widespread release as yet (at least on this thread or on the Wiki). 

Been running this great mod for a few months now, I recently decided to do an ostrich mod to one of my spare computers. When I run the newly modded ecu with the AC mod for my 95, I get a persistant check engine light. I have all the disables in since I am running a wideband and boost sensor to the tank pressure and rear o2 signal lines. When I checked for codes it was P0605 Rom error I have tried saving and reuploading and haven't gotten it to clear yet, and two others related to voltage on heater which I though the disables would take care of. Thanks for all the great work on these bins guys!

Hi everyone.

For my power goals I decided MAF would not be appropriate for me as I would require a 4.5-5" OD MAF. I decided to start working on my m4.4 speed density conversion I posted a while back. I made some progress this weekend.

Basically my method uses the ideal gas law to estimate air flow in KG/HR based on boost, displacement, IAT and RPM. It then plugs that KG/HR value right into the stock load equation (which i see no reason to change or modify).

I figured out all of the math I have to do on the ECU as well as all the conversion factors for boost, displacement, R constant, IAT, RPH, etc ,etc. I then planned out the entire calculation routine and its 100% possible to perform the ideal gas law equation on the ECU using the MULT/DIV Unit. And for IAT I will use the stock ambient temp sensor channel and for MAP I will use the MAF channel. This will open up the whatever channel you use for your map sensor, for another sensor such as EGT or EBP.

Before jumping right in and coding the routine, I decided to do a little test. This test consisted of an arduino, with a map sensor hooked up to it and the RPM cluster signal hooked up to it. I didnt use a baro or IAT sensor and simply calculated the airs density that day.

The arduino then put out a 62500 PWM signal to the maf connector (MAF ADC must have some filtering built in because there was no PWM ripple issues). I modified the table for 1kg/hr increments for a max of 255kg/hr, this made it easy to output KG/hr because as long as it wasnt above 255, i could just write the byte out.

Right now the arduino is using a 1x14 2D VE table. I got the car idling and driving and took it for a cruise through my neighborhood. Tapping the gas more than 10% usually caused it to stall and when slowing down, it would shut off.  It needs work though. The 2D VE map is way too small. For instance, when starting the car usually the RPMs go up to 1500 then drop down to idle. This is a problem with a 2D VE table because when tapping the gas from idle, the air mass increased a lot, so you need a higher VE value, but when starting the throttle is closed so you dont need a big VE. This means when starting the car would run very rich and start hunting, but you would be able to give it gas from idle. Vice Versa.

My next step is to create a history table of boost vs RPM and fill it with MAF data (KG/HR). Then I will do the same thing for the arduino, boost vs RPM filled with calculated KG/HR. I can then perform MAF/Estimated MAF and start building a 3D VE Map, which will consist of boost vs rpm filled with a multiplier (VE).

Eventually once the system is running using the arduino I will simply write the code for M4.4 and it can be plug and play for everyones enjoyment.

The good part is this will be a true speed density conversion, looking at evo and subaru conversions, they usually just correlate MAP to a load value, then use crazy RPM vs VE modifiers. Not really what i see necessary due to the fact our load calculation already takes in air mass, so why modify it? That will just require to rescale / remap every single thing that uses load. Load will still exist, it will just be used for fueling, and for compatibility reasons so I dont need to rescale every map that uses load.

I plan on making fuel, ignition and boost maps MAP vs RPM.

• Upvote 1