Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Hussein, I don't use Spartan but from what I could search the Spartan2 with the LSU4.9 has a 10-20AFR range corresponding to a linear 0v-5v.

So, in this case I think the conversion factor would be (for the tank pressure or rear o2 channels): ((X*0.01953125)*0.5)+10

Try it :)

Edited by S70-R

By the way. it would be nice to get a feedback from you about the spartan2, especially when compared to the AEM.

I may be considering replacing my innovate lc-2. AEM or Spartan, one of these would be the choice most likely.

Hussein, I don't use Spartan but from what I could search the Spartan2 with the LSU4.9 has a 10-20AFR range corresponding to a linear 0v-5v.

So, in this case I think the conversion factor would be (for the tank pressure or rear o2 channels): ((X*0.01953125)*0.5)+10

Try it :)

It is scaled as you mention. The factor I have is x*0.0390625+10, from Piet - I believe it is correct, he just said it is unchanged. Not sure what is wrong. I used A19 to ground the electronics (black wire) so maybe I need to move that to a hard ground? I used A28(power ground) for the heater circuit 

EDIT: bridged A19 to A18 in the ECU (cut A19 & soldered to A18 pin) Seems to be resolved - AFR's are at least now normal for the engine during warmup. I'll do a quick run.

Edited by lookforjoe

I dont know if Piet uses the Spartan2 but that formula is not the same as the one I've put.

I'm not an electronic/electric geek but I think that the ground would not make such a difference in terms of dumping huge amount of fuel. It would differ only sightly I guess.

Try the formula I put.

Edited by S70-R

Sorry, my bad.

That is indeed the correct formula. It is the same as ((X*0.01953125)*2)+10

When doing the math where I put the 0.5 it is 2. 2 is basically 10AFR range / 5v.

According to the pinout the A19 is:

"Signal (-) rear heated oxygen sensor".

A18 is:

"Signal ground sensor (measured to the battery negative terminal)"

So, A19 doesn't seem to be appropriate really. Actually your A19 is connected to nothing I guess.

Edited by S70-R

I like to log the current gear to aid in tuning, but wasn't able to do so when I swapped in the M66 due to the different ratios. For anyone who wants to log current gear the XRAM address is FA94 and the 'gear ratio table' is at 0x13368. For a M66C the values should be (no conversion factor):

Gear%20detection%20table.jpg?dl=0

Can't figure out what parameter option (scalar, table, function) to create, and how to insert the table :( got this far -

Screenshot%202015-07-10%2023.40.41_zpsc5

Edited by lookforjoe

So, A19 doesn't seem to be appropriate really. Actually your A19 is connected to nothing I guess.

A19 is a ground, just not a regular or even standard switched ground.

The system runs OK now (with A19 input bridged to A18 signal ground (ECT, TPS, CPS, OTC) , but the actual AFRs still deviate from the requested AFR's I need to move the electronics ground off the signal ground to a regular ECU ground line & see if that resolves the disparity.

Spartan Controller

453ED622-33F8-4E0D-A3B4-7F10E7FEA86A_zps

Edited by lookforjoe

Don't use A19 for your WB ground reference; it adds in an offset used for the stock O2 sensor.  Use A18 and/or A42 only, which is your ECU's sensor (analog) ground.  Connecting A18 to A19 or pwr grounds (i.e. A13 or A28) will likely work, but could add noise to your WB signal.

I went through this very issue a few months ago and was discussed in this thread; will try to pull up the link..

here it tis..

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159506-tuners-rejoice-free-tuning-for-m44/?do=findComment&comment=2378877

Edited by gdog

You guys need to have more faith in your math skills. It is really simple to figure out.

The value that the ECU puts out is one bytes (hexadecimal value), so its' range is 0-255. You know that 0hex = 0V and 255hex = 5V. The spartan is 10AFR at 0V and 20AFR at 5V. Therefore, 0hex = 10AFR and 255hex = 20AFR. 

The output is linear, so you can represent the output by the formula y = mx +b. M = slope = rise/run = (10-20)/(0-255) = 10/255. B = y axis intercept = 10. So the final formula is (10/255)*x+10.

Edited by Tightmopedman9

Don't use A19 for your WB ground reference; it adds in an offset used for the stock O2 sensor.  Use A18 and/or A42 only, which is your ECU's sensor (analog) ground.  Connecting A18 to A19 or pwr grounds (i.e. A13 or A28) will likely work, but could add noise to your WB signal.

I went through this very issue a few months ago and was discussed in this thread; will try to pull up the link..

here it tis..

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159506-tuners-rejoice-free-tuning-for-m44/?do=findComment&comment=2378877

That's right. Just stay away from A19 as ground for whatever sensor.

Don't use the A18 either, although it's a better choice then A19.

Keep it simple and just ground the WB electronics to the ECU ground at A28, it's by far the best choice. I really don't understand the urge for connecting the WB ground to one if these exotic pins :)

Edited by Piet

By the way. it would be nice to get a feedback from you about the spartan2, especially when compared to the AEM.

I may be considering replacing my innovate lc-2. AEM or Spartan, one of these would be the choice most likely.

Go for the Spartan 2. It's really fast, much faster then the innovate.

And it uses the LSU 4.9 wich definitely is superior to the older LSU 4.2

Hussein, I'm not sure what your problem is. Looks like you already have the table created and the values adjusted. You're done.

I don't have any connection to  "the 'gear ratio table' is at 0x13368." unless that occurs automatically (?) - I just manually entered all the values.

That's right. Just stay away from A19 as ground for whatever sensor.

Don't use the A18 either, although it's a better choice then A19.

Keep it simple and just ground the WB electronics to the ECU ground at A28, it's by far the best choice. I really don't understand the urge for connecting the WB ground to one if these exotic pins :)

I used A28 for the heater ground. I'll move the electronics ground (black wire) from A18 to A28. I thought they were kept separate to prevent feedback from the less discrete power ground circuits (like the heater circuit). It was also easier to use the existing harness than run new wires to the ECU :rolleyes:

I'll move the wire to A19 at the ECU connector to A28 & be done with it. I still have some wide AFR discrepancies in the short log I did after moving it to A18.

On decel / trailing throttle & part throttle seems more evidient

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-11%20at%209.09.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-11%20at%209.10.1