Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Keep forgetting to post about this - I turned off Adaptive Knock by raising the temp threshold to 175º, in order to do logging for tuning purposes. I forgot to lower the temp & reflash the bin for a few days of driving (Bosch coils). When I reset the threshold, I immediately got a flashing CEL under part throttle, mostly in 1st & 2nd gear.  Any one else experience this?

The rationale for this is that there can much adaptive knock that skews the logs when reviewing for tuning purposes - like this screenshot.

Screenshot%202015-09-01%2007.56.37_zps0g

Turning off adaptive & doing an identical pull resulted in a clean log with no knock, no enrichment. With adaptive on, I get knock & enrichment seen here (middle table)  - where the KRcount is 00 (green row). I'm assuming it's unwise to leave Adaptive knock threshold set to the upper limit, but I'm not sure how to proceed since if I tune with it disabled, the results aren't great with it enabled? 

Screenshot%202015-09-12%2009.29.43_zpsuz

On a separate note, I also reset the row addresses for dwell time/degrees. I then moved the data in the row fro 13v up to 11.5v, etc. I have to say, it doesn't 'feel' right up top with the shifted values, feels like it has lost upper end (over 6K) 'umph'. I'm going to try shifting the values back one row at a time & see how it goes. The very high ambient temps of late may be contributing, so I'll keep separate versions of the bin to switch back.

Edited by lookforjoe

Ive been running without adaptives (and with knock) for over a year. If you keep an eye on your tune and fix the knocking that occcurs I don't see any problems running with it disabled as your effectively replacing its function with your own tuning.

OK. I think I'll do the same, it easier to deal with it that way, than keep switching. Thanks.

Still it's odd having so much adaptive knock after turning on adative knock, while before turning it on you did'n had knock at all.

Question is where did this adtaptive knock came from, for you have to had real knock somewhere to induce adaptive knock.

Did Bits indicate real knock?

You have to be carefull though, with adaptive knock turned off, at times you have to use lower octane gasoline then normal.

Edited by Piet

The original comment was that if you turn off adaptive knock, you then need to be careful if there is ever a situation where you are forced to use lower octane than what you tuned with (i think!).

Yup. Added some comma's for clearity

Edited by Piet

Afaik, the rev6 bin simply volvo released is the latest one.
It had code added for launch control, and he was working on flat foot shifting.
It also had some parameters added to the adx.
I'm probably basing the new release on rev6.

I'm going to create a changelog for the new release, and a manual explaining some of the new features.

Is there a way to use this new file for automatics yet ?

Still it's odd having so much adaptive knock after turning on adative knock, while before turning it on you did'n had knock at all.

Question is where did this adtaptive knock came from, for you have to had real knock somewhere to induce adaptive knock.

Did Bits indicate real knock?

You have to be carefull though, with adaptive knock turned off, at times you have to use lower octane gasoline then normal.

Got bigger problems now. Must have had some real knock on some pulls that  I didn't log. Motor sounds like I have rod knock. Drove 220 miles to Ithaca NY this morning, and started seeing some oil smoke on decel about an hour into the drive. By the time we reached Ithaca, it was smoking pretty much continuously, and knocking. No signs of crazy blowby, though - I would have thought with the amount of oil being sucked through, there would be some CC pressure. First I thought maybe it was the turbo, since that would account for oil consumption without any engine-side issues, but it really sounds more like rod knock,and its there at idle.

Screenshot from log enroute, 5th gear

Screenshot%202015-09-13%2013.54.49_zpsxn

Damn. Like I said earlier you really should be logging KRCOUNT. That will let you know the actual amount of knock events that are occurring. 

I started looking at KRCount in the logs after you told me about it. I thought I posted a pic - 

Screenshot%202015-09-12%2009.29.43_zpsuz

The center table, bottom row shows the KRcount (green) - it remained "0.00" across the log.

I'm honestly not sure what the knock is from yet - I was able to drive 250miles home today - took about a quart every 50 miles to keep it in the 5 quart full range. It's a kinda sharp knock, doesn't sound like typical rod knock to me. Kinda rattlely - almost like it's 'floating' at low load / cruise (3K, 5th), doesn't idle badly which I would expect if it were valve train, but that would better explain the oil loss. I'll do a compression & leak down tomorrow to see what I can find before going any further.  No excess oil in the breather system, which I would have expected if the oil consumption was blowby.  I dunno. See what comes from further diagnosis.

EDIT: I'll continue the hardware failure issue in my own thread, not to clutter this one. 

Edited by lookforjoe