Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

I started looking at KRCount in the logs after you told me about it. I thought I posted a pic - 

Screenshot%202015-09-12%2009.29.43_zpsuz

The center table, bottom row shows the KRcount (green) - it remained "0.00" across the log.

I'm honestly not sure what the knock is from yet - I was able to drive 250miles home today - took about a quart every 50 miles to keep it in the 5 quart full range. It's a kinda sharp knock, doesn't sound like typical rod knock to me. Kinda rattlely - almost like it's 'floating' at low load / cruise (3K, 5th), doesn't idle badly which I would expect if it were valve train, but that would better explain the oil loss. I'll do a compression & leak down tomorrow to see what I can find before going any further.  No excess oil in the breather system, which I would have expected if the oil consumption was blowby.  I dunno. See what comes from further diagnosis.

EDIT: I'll continue the hardware failure issue in my own thread, not to clutter this one. 

Hi,

Just a tip to be sure it's not a cylinder head issue.

Put a screwdriver or likewise between your ear and the cylinder head at idle, no ticking sound means valves okay.  My cylinderhead was "quiet" when 2 of 5 rods was bended. My engine sounded really bad from a distance at idle and got worse at higher load. (My rods came in contact with the counterweights of the crankshaft) 

// Turboforslund

After much testing and tweaking we felt it’s finally time to release a slew of mods me and my dad developed for this bin. 
I’ll describe them briefly first.

The Wideband mod.
Many here already know what this is. Essentially the mod allows you to substitute the stock narrowband sensor with a wideband sensor. This effectively turns the ve- map into a true Lamdba request map. The ECU will use the wideband input to meet the requested AFR in this map. This greatly simplifies tuning your fueling, and can also improve your mpg considerably by running leaner on low loads.
A good fueling base map is included to start from.

The LPI switcher.
This mod is targeted to people running a LPI system in their cars. The ecu will look for a signal on one of its ports. If the signal indicates that the driver has switched to LPI, it will select a different mapset.
The signal can usually be tapped off the LPI relay, or a control signal coming from the LPI ECU.
This way the injectors parameters, the load request, ignition timing, and fueling can be customised independently for the LPI system.

Meth control.
This mod was created to safely control a water/methanol injection system.
It will switch on the pump above a certain load level pressurizing the system.
A pressure sensor will detect this rise in pressure, confirming that meth is flowing.
When the ECU detects the signal from the pressure sensor it will switch the mapset.
Again, this allows the ignition, load request, and fueling maps to be calibrated independently for the injection system. The pressure sensor adds safety to the setup, as it will not run the meth mapset if the signal isn’t detected. If the fluid were to run out mid-pull the mapset is switched back to normal immediately as the fluid pressure drops.

Boost threshold control.
The m44 ECU needs a way to determine when to start up the turbo control routines.
In stock form it’s all throttle based, and there’s a table called “throttle angle threshold for ldr active”.
This table determines the angle after which the ECU will start regulating the turbo.
However, a static throttle threshold like this will cause those routines to either start too early or start too late depending on the situation. This can contribute to overshoot, or unresponsiveness depending on the situation. I never liked this approach, so I wrote this mod.
The idea is that the control routines should activate right when the turbo starts spinning up, and not any earlier, or any later than that. This mod replaces the throttle angle threshold table with a boost pressure table. The control routines will activate as soon as a certain boost target has been met.
Testing shows, that activating somewhere between 0,15 and 0,2 bar yields the best results.
The result is a much smoother torque curve, and better response.

2448 mod.
If you have a big turbo, accompanied by a big maf, chances are that you are maxing the internal load variable at 12.24ms. This is undesirable, as it has the same effect as maxing your maf: Loss of control and resolution in the upper load regions. This mod doubles the maximum internal load cap from 12.24 ms to 24.48 ms. Rescaling your axes in these maps results in much better control in all load situations. 
The new load variable that is created with this mod only applies to the necessary tables like load request, ignition, and fueling. This way you don’t have to worry about rescaling all the other maps that use the primary load axis, as that will be left untouched.

RPM+ mod
This mod is not for the faint hearted. It extends the internal RPM cap from 7650 to 10200 RPM.
If you like to rev it to the point of destruction, this mod will at least enable you to try to keep that from happening. This mod essentialy works in the same way as the 2448 mod.

Quite a bit of work has been done as you can see.
After giving it a lot of thought we (me and my dad Piet) decided we won’t  be releasing these freely.
Instead we ask a small donation to keep the project going, and to keep control over our mods.
We don’t want them to fall into the hands of third parties, making money off of our work.
These mods can be injected into any existing rev5b bin, so copying all your maps to a new bin isn’t required.

• Upvote 9

After much testing and tweaking we felt it’s finally time to release a slew of mods me and my dad developed for this bin. 

The Wideband mod.
Many here already know what this is. Essentially the mod allows you to substitute the stock narrowband sensor with a wideband sensor. This effectively turns the ve- map into a true Lamdba request map. The ECU will use the wideband input to meet the requested AFR in this map. This greatly simplifies tuning your fueling, and can also improve your mpg considerably by running leaner on low loads.

I've been testing the wideband mod, I have to say, if anyone is considering paying for any mods, this one is well worth it

When the time comes I will be needing 2448.

I know you are clever but this suggestion is probably out of the window 32x32 tables :D

Edited by Avinitlarge

I have the code finalized for my dual map routine finished. If you guys want to make a patch for it let me know and I can prodvide the source code. 

My dual fuel and ignition maps utilizes one map with stock load and rpm axes and another with 2448 and RPM+ axes effectively giving you double the resolution for ignition and fueling maps.

If this thing had the ability to extrapolate between E85 and 93 maps in a flex-fuel type of manner I would jump at it right away. I would run E85, but you never know what the true ethanol content is and I'm scared to run out in a place where there isn't any then running stupid rich if I put in 93. It seems that this is an incredibly difficult algorithm to get working however.... I still might eventually invest for the increased civility and drivability that is afforded with all of these fantastic updates. Great Work guys!!!

• Upvote 1

After giving it a lot of thought we (me and my dad Piet) decided we won’t  be releasing these freely.
Instead we ask a small donation to keep the project going, and to keep control over our mods.
We don’t want them to fall into the hands of third parties, making money off of our work.
These mods can be injected into any existing rev5b bin, so copying all your maps to a new bin isn’t required.

What is the cost?

The Wideband mod.

The LPI switcher.
This mod is targeted to people running a LPI system in their cars. The ecu will look for a signal on one of its ports. If the signal indicates that the driver has switched to LPI, it will select a different mapset.
The signal can usually be tapped off the LPI relay, or a control signal coming from the LPI ECU.
This way the injectors parameters, the load request, ignition timing, and fueling can be customised independently for the LPI system.

Meth control.
This mod was created to safely control a water/methanol injection system.
It will switch on the pump above a certain load level pressurizing the system.
A pressure sensor will detect this rise in pressure, confirming that meth is flowing.
When the ECU detects the signal from the pressure sensor it will switch the mapset.
Again, this allows the ignition, load request, and fueling maps to be calibrated independently for the injection system. The pressure sensor adds safety to the setup, as it will not run the meth mapset if the signal isn’t detected. If the fluid were to run out mid-pull the mapset is switched back to normal immediately as the fluid pressure drops.

Boost threshold control.
The m44 ECU needs a way to determine when to start up the turbo control routines.
In stock form it’s all throttle based, and there’s a table called “throttle angle threshold for ldr active”.
This table determines the angle after which the ECU will start regulating the turbo.
However, a static throttle threshold like this will cause those routines to either start too early or start too late depending on the situation. This can contribute to overshoot, or unresponsiveness depending on the situation. I never liked this approach, so I wrote this mod.
The idea is that the control routines should activate right when the turbo starts spinning up, and not any earlier, or any later than that. This mod replaces the throttle angle threshold table with a boost pressure table. The control routines will activate as soon as a certain boost target has been met.
Testing shows, that activating somewhere between 0,15 and 0,2 bar yields the best results.
The result is a much smoother torque curve, and better response.

2448 mod.
If you have a big turbo, accompanied by a big maf, chances are that you are maxing the internal load variable at 12.24ms. This is undesirable, as it has the same effect as maxing your maf: Loss of control and resolution in the upper load regions. This mod doubles the maximum internal load cap from 12.24 ms to 24.48 ms. Rescaling your axes in these maps results in much better control in all load situations. 
The new load variable that is created with this mod only applies to the necessary tables like load request, ignition, and fueling. This way you don’t have to worry about rescaling all the other maps that use the primary load axis, as that will be left untouched.

RPM+ mod
This mod is not for the faint hearted. It extends the internal RPM cap from 7650 to 10200 RPM.
If you like to rev it to the point of destruction, this mod will at least enable you to try to keep that from happening. This mod essentialy works in the same way as the 2448 mod.

Finally....!!!      {:^)

I would be interested in the WB regulation (of course!!) and possibly the boost threshold control.  This deserves its own thread at minimum, and probably its own website?

Dumbass question: what's LPI?  Sounds like switching between petrol and ethanol?

And are you going to publish a price list or should we just PM you?

Getting a bit tired of saying this, but you guys rock!!

Probably # 1 million with this problem, but I can't get my M4.3 ECU to flash. Procedure should be similar if not the same to M4.4. Here's what I did:

- I got a laptop 15.9V. Power supply, connected +15.9V to pins A12, A26, A27, and B8.

- I connected ground leads to A18 initially, and after all issues to A13, A28, A42 as well. (this did not solve my problem)

- I connected +15.9V to Pin 16 of the VAG-Com, B5 to Pin 7 of VAG-Com (B5 is the programming pin according to m43.wikia.com).

- I connected pin 4 of the VAG-Com to the ground leads, using the other terminal of my laptop PSU as ground.

The cable I'm using is an OBDLink with latest FTDI drivers (2.12).

The issue I'm having is that when I start flashing in TunerPro, it consistently get a time-out on the erase. Using Realterm, I did verify that a connection to the OBDLink cable was in principle working. I used COM1 in tunerpro, as well as setting my USB Serial Port on COM1. Also tried the 25ms setting. When that all didn't work, I cleanly installed everything on my laptop, only to have the exact same issue - timeout on the erase step.

Is 15.9v too much? The wiki said anything up to 16.8 would be fine. Any other known causes for this problem? I saw S60R and some other user having the same problem in this thread, but couldn't find how they in the end resolved it. 

EDIT// Got a 13.5-13.7V source (measured during flashing attempt) and this too does not solve my problem.

Edited by Boxman

Is it a stock ecu?
If it's an ecu which has been tuned previously, there's a chance they replaced the eeprom inside the ecu.
Usually it's not possible to flash those.

Tmm9: that may be the way to go after all. We would certainly be interested in trying out your code.

Extrapolating between e85 and 93 maps using a ethanol content sensor has been on my mind for some time.
I need to gather some more info  on it though. From what I've seen so far it should be possible.

LPI is probably more of a european thing. It's an abbreviation for liquid propane injection, or liquefied petroleum gas.

Regarding the cost, I'm not sure if this is the right place to publish such a thing.
Send me a PM, and I will reply with detailed info.

Edited by venderbroeck

Great to see the summary of your excellent work Maarten and Piet. A lot of your mods are used in my ECU. The car feels different in a positive way.

Thank you both for being your guinea pig!

@theothers: The boost threshold control is a recent mod which I appreciate a lot. Much directer and precise control.