Sign in to follow this  
Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

RS232 is using two wires. One for transmit and one for receive.

K-line communication is using a single wire with an inverted and different voltage. So you need some sort of signal combiner/transformer.

The lm339 circuit should be my latest? circuit for Motronic 1.8 communication I believe. Probably connected to a 5V TTL serial signal on TX and Rx. (Like from FTDI).

shurkline is similar with addition of the max232 chip for connecting to standard RS232 signal.

shurkline.jpg

lm339.gif

Ok so it's not as 'dumb' as one led to believe. I'll just get an ebay one, this is not gonna work period.

So, the protocol used by our ECU is ISO9141-2?  Because the OBDLink does in principle support it.

Edited by Boxman
  • Like 1

I guess 'dumb' could be a dumb word to use in explaining the difference, but active/passive is also wrong. As little as a transistor is considered 'Active'.

OBDLink is above all this since it is a tiny computer. An interface with a microprocessor is often called intelligent or smart, hence non-smart interfaces like Vag Com 4.09 KKL is referred to as dumb.

Newer VAG Com cables have an option: "Force Dumb Mode"

Programming of M4.4 is using a special protocol. Logging as described in this thread is also special and require flashing of modified file.

Standard M4.4 can be communicated with using ISO9141-2 I believe, but software made for this interface can only use OBD2 communication over ISO9141-2. Not Volvo special protocol.

The 9-pin connector on your box is often used as an RS232 connector, but it is just a standard D-SUB connector, and can be used for anything like in this case connect your OBD (J1962) cable to the box.

You can take a look here:

http://jonesrh.info/volvo850/volvo_850_diag_links.html

Your cable should be compatible with ELM327 I believe.

Edited by rkam

Sorry to confuse you.

I believe the cable you already have, OBDLink, is ELM327 compatible. Meaning it speaks ELM327 protocol between the PC and the microprocessor in the interface.

You cannot use ELM327 type of interface or any other smart interface for programming M4.4 or datalogging using the special firmware in this thread.

But you might be able to use your cable for some normal communication stuff using the scripts on the page I linked to while you wait for your KKL to arrive.

I would order a few. They can fail.

Sorry to leech off this thread endlessly,  but I had an issue this morning  when trying to get data aquisition working again.  When I tried to connect this morning, it connected before the car started and when it did start I immediately got data errors. I just flashed a new bin yesterday on the bench. Maybe I fried my cable because I hooked it up wrong? Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? If so what did it turn out to be? 

Edited by NB-V70R

I got logging working. I think I was just trying to connect too soon... Idk it was an intermittent problem..

Has anyone used an AEM Failsafe Wideband and boost combo gauge with successful logging? I've been fiddling with it all day and I can't seem to find the correct adjustment factor. Using the standard one (which I think is for a spartan2 controller?) doesn't work at all and the AEM formula is off as well. I tried using the 0-5v raw factor and applying the AEM formula to that with no success either. I really want to log AFR and Boost with TunerPro so I have to get this figured out. I will keep working at it. I hope y'all stay busy!

-Thanks

Nick

EDIT: I should mention that I have O2 going to tank pressure and Boost going to RO2

Edited by NB-V70R

..and what ecu pins are you using for the RO2 channel?

I'm using pin B31 for WB signal, A34 for boost signal and A28 for my signal grounds.

I'm using pin B31 for WB signal, A34 for boost signal and A28 for my signal grounds.

You should be good; just wanted to make sure you weren't using A19 for the RO2 channel ground reference; that doesn't work too well...

You should be good; just wanted to make sure you weren't using A19 for the RO2 channel ground reference; that doesn't work too well...

Yeah I watched the grounding debate thing a while back. That's what the consensus was.

Formula in TP should be (2.375*5*X/255)+7.3125 according to the info in the documentation.
I wonder why they use such a strange conversion for those wideband controllers.

Alright I will try that in the morning and see what I come up with.

Edited by NB-V70R

I was helping a friend tune his 850. 2.5 S60R engine, 19t@20psi, 750cc injectors and BMW MAF 316bhp

Does this seem good or a bit low?

11935728_1645340662375487_1850669297_n.j

Tht is my car I am not happy with the results! You where not helping map a friends car I don't even know you all you have achieved is making a car slower! Before it had a 16T and 470cc injectors and made 327bhp and 343 ft lbs and that was with a 2.3 less HP maybe but torque with a 2.5 should be a lot higher your mapping efforts are not good AFR'S AT WOT are 10.3 and it's running meth took it on track yesterday and all it did was backfire on every gear change and I have never burn so much fuel for a track day. Where in your head do you think 750 cc injectors are required for 330-345 hp UK that is not US or WHP?  A graphic does not mean a car drives well in the real world your tuning is not good Avinitlarge! 

Edited by Grege102
  • Downvote 6

Tht is my car I am not happy with the results! You where not helping map a friends car I don't even know you all you have achieved is making a car slower! Before it had a 16T and 470cc injectors and made 327bhp and 343 ft lbs and that was with a 2.3 less HP maybe but torque with a 2.5 should be a lot higher your mapping efforts are not good AFR'S AT WOT are 10.3 and it's running meth took it on track yesterday and all it did was backfire on every gear change and I have never burn so much fuel for a track day. Where in your head do you think 750 cc injectors are required for 330-345 hp UK that is not US or WHP?  A graphic does not mean a car drives well in the real world your tuning is not good Avinitlarge! 

Before you decided to post this in this thread, did you try to contact him through a pm?