Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

16 hours ago, Piet said:

Very likely the controller contains a 12 volt to 5 Volt voltage regulator, so an extra capacitor in the 12 volt line probably won't make a difference.

If you have one,  you could feed the signal output to an oscillator to see if it produces a clean signal.

Did you maybe mean "Oscilloscope" ?

Would people who have the wideband mod too be so kind to share their experience(and part of their log) with their Wideband sensor? I'd like to compare the response time and overall behavior of the various sensors to my MTX-L, as it is an older simpler model with some internal noise it seems. It follows the set AFR pretty OK but if upgrading my sensor package yields significant benefits I'd like to know :) I'll post mine in a bit, have yet to transfer the logs to this PC.

I can get you a whole log if you want, but I will put up a screnshot in a minute.  Basically it shows the WB AFR oscillates on about a one second period during steady-state measuring and a response time (eye-balling on the monitor) of approx 0.25 to 0.5 secs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlmecs9f2um8r0j/WbLog.PNG?raw=1

Edited by gdog

33 minutes ago, Boxman said:

Interesting. That's with venderbroecks wideband mod? Which sensor package are you using? I'm trying to compare if there's a lot of difference between the various wideband packages available.

Here's what mine looks like; Distinctly more noisy.

Yes, w/venderbrock's wb reg mod.  It's in my sig; AEM WB UEGO IIRC link

BTW: I assume those are log snippets and not actually a log of the first 30 some seconds?  Mine is a bit noisy for the first minute or two as well.

The response time of the wideband is very important for a good wb regulation.

I myself have the Sparftan 1 which is reasonably good. But I would strongly advise against the Spartan 2 because mostly they perform really bad.

It's a  hit or miss with these things, Avinitlarge was at luck with one that performs reasonably well.

The best results we have seen were with the very fast and reliable ALM controller.

The WB regulation is a feed back system, that means that there will be always some oscillation around the requested AFR, the amplitude of which depends strongly on how fast the controller is.

I also have - as per Piet's recommendation - the ALM after I used the Spartan 2. ALM is faster, Spartan 2 slower. Aziz has quite good AFRs with the Spartan 2, though, so like Piet wrote: "hit and miss".

Need to make a new log and upload to show the WBO2 behaviour on my car.

There is a new WBO2 controller from AEM. Supposed to be really fast, too.

Edited by German850R

This is on the bench (a hub dyno) with my Spartan 1.

The dotted (AFR) line is without and the continuous (AFR) line is with the WB control.

(Don't mind the knock events here, which took me some peak power (whp),  knock events which I did'nt have on the road b.t.w. only on the bench)

Ludwig2015-2.jpg

Edited by Piet

3 hours ago, Piet said:

But I would strongly advise against the Spartan 2 because mostly they perform really bad.

It's a  hit or miss with these things, Avinitlarge was at luck with one that performs reasonably well.

I wasn't aware of this :blush:

Which ALM is the one to have? Ive looked and there are quite a few options. This one looks like that simplest, no need for the all singing, all dancing version http://www.ecotrons.com/products/wideband_controller_alm-board/

Edited by Avinitlarge

@Avinitlarge

I wasn't either in the beginning. 

I had bought a Spartan 2 which was the worst I've seen sofar, totally unusable for the wb regulation.

At least you were lucky to get one of those rare good ones.

@S70-R

No, that wasn't because of the AFR difference :)

They were two different tunes.

Just wanted to show that with the Wb control you can get a straight line for AFR on the bench, just as requested in the VE-table.

Edited by Piet
  • Upvote 1