Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

I have read almost all wikia sistes, many informations, but still not all. I know 607 is for manual and 608 is for automatic gear box, I wonder what is the difference between them? Can I flash 607.bin to car with automatic gear box? I know there is lower boost on first gear to not kill automatic gear box, but anything else? Can I change 607/608 ECUs between manual/automatic cars?

607 is for automatic, 608 for manual.

A manual will run on a 607 though. 

An automatic probably will run on a 608, didn't try that  so far, but the 608 just isn't optimized for an automatic.

But why exactly do want that? 

20 minutes ago, kwaku85 said:

I have read almost all wikia sistes, many informations, but still not all. I know 607 is for manual and 608 is for automatic gear box, I wonder what is the difference between them? Can I flash 607.bin to car with automatic gear box? I know there is lower boost on first gear to not kill automatic gear box, but anything else? Can I change 607/608 ECUs between manual/automatic cars?

Let's start with the basics:

What is the year, make, model, transmission option of your current car?

What engine do you have?

What is the repair history on your car?

I'm asking because new ECU for my automatic car was from B5204T2 with manual gear box. Mine car is V70, B5234T3, automatic, '97.It's working with new ECU, but it's slow. No boost, no fun :)

I was little shocked my car can run with ECU from manual gear box equiped car.
I'm still thinking about this immo. I have no time now to read ECU eeprom and start play, but in next few days I need to do this and find way to disable immo inside this ECU. It's getting older and more people will have problem with this module. It's not easy to get ECU with immo and keys.

Edited by kwaku85

Get another M4.4 ECU and flash the 607 bin in it.

I don't know about Europe specs cars and what year to look for a M4.4 ECU.

Just flash the "volvospeed" 607 bin into it.

But you'll need a ECU from an automatic car, because an ECU from a manual car lacks some automatic specific circuitry..

Edited by Piet

So, why my ECU from manual is working fine with automatic? Mayby it was not original ECU from this car and some one put there automatic ECU in the past? I don't know. Is it possible to check somehow what is this ECU exactly? 607 or 608?

Alright, so it's been a while since I posted about my ideas for a 2nd stage for my boost threshold for ldr control mod.
I have since designed the mod, and put it out for testing to some people.
Time to post an enormous post about it :P

Amongst the testers is a member of the dutch forums, which has a 18t amongst other mods.
He used to have a lot of boost spiking issues during spooling & shifting which was causing knock and loss of power.
With the mods these problems seem to have ceased to be.
He even went as far as to try and force boost spikes by upping the tcv pilot table, but this only induced more load oscillation, not spiking at spoolup.
By losing the spike at spool time, and the knock that came with it, he seemed to pick up some power as well, as his laptop screen started to fold down upon acceleration which it never did before :P

The btc mod now consists of these variables (all pressure variables are in bar, but can be converted to PSI ofc.):

btc%20parameters.jpg

The 1st stage table works as before. With it you can define the amount of pressure needed to activate the tcv control routines.
In a stock bin this is done by a throttle angle threshold, but that method has its problems inducing spikes etc.
I've set it to 0.05 bar here, which seems to work pretty good for me and my 15g.

To the right you can see the various 2nd stage settings.
The left column of settings enables/disables all the different components of the 2nd stage, so you can choose which limiters you want to use.
On the right we have the limiter settings for those different components.

The first setting on the right defines the pressure up until the 2nd stage is active.
So as long as the boost pressure is below this second threshold, the 2nd stage limiters that are enabled will be enforced.
Once the boost goes above this threshold, the 2nd stage is disabled and the ldr routines proceed as normal allowing normal turbo behaviour.

The second setting on the right defines the maximum step height by which the tcv duty is allowed to grow per iteration of the ldr routines.
In more simpler terms, this defines the maximum speed at which the tcv duty can increase.

The third setting defines the minimum tcv duty allowed while the 2nd stage is active.
Using this the tcv duty will already be somewhat closer to it's target than it would have been if it started out lower, reducing the time it takes for the tcv duty to grow to the required percentage on shifts etc.

The fourth setting defines the maximum tcv duty allowed while the 2nd stage is active. This prevents the tcv duty to grow too much during spooling.
This tends to happen when the turbo takes a while to meet the requested load. The result is a maxed out tcv duty, and once the turbo does spool fully, huge boost spikes can occur.
Enforcing a max tcv duty during spool time prevents this from happening.
The max duty is released once the turbo reaches the 2nd stage threshold, allowing it to spool fully from a safer starting point.
This last one can greatly reduce spiking, and may very well be the most important component to this mod.

Some of the values that I've entered in the screenshot above (2nd stage threshold: 0.7bar & max duty during spool: 40%) are not recommended for normal use.
I used those to test the effectiveness of the max tcv limiter. 
The result of that test can be seen here:

log.jpg

As 40% duty is not enough for my 15g to hit the 0.7 bar threshold I entered, the 2nd stage runs permanently, and keeps enforcing the 40% duty limit.
So although I'm requesting more load than I'm getting, the settings I entered prevent it from happening, thus proving the effectiveness of the max duty limiter.
as you can see, the tcv duty cheats a little (1 or 2 %), but is kept in check by the limiter.
Also you can see that it takes at least one ldr iteration for the limiter to take effect (The tcv duty starts out at 60%), but this happens so quickly that it doesn't have any effect on the spooling.

In my case more sensible settings for normal operation would be: 2nd stage threshold: 0,5 bar, 2nd stage max duty cycle: 60%.
This way the turbo transitions from spooling to stable pressure quickly and smoothly, without any spiking.
The turbo just rolls up to it's desired load in a controlled manner, which also keeps the load progression much more stable later on.

These settings will of course be different for every setup, but can be found quite easily by looking at your logs.

Edited by venderbroeck
  • Upvote 2

Still digesting this, but appears to be an enhancement to your earlier boost threshold control mod, yes?

:tup:

While the second stage is engaged do you zero out the adaptive LDR values?

It's funny, but just last week I coded a routine which does almost the opposite of your routine. When the throttle is more than 50% depressed the TCV is held shut until XP_IST is 1.25ms under XP_SOLL, while zero'ing out the adaptive LDR values (FFB5, FFB6, FFC0). 

I just enforce the limiters using methods that are already present in de ldr routines. In the stock bin there is already a routine in place that handles the global max duty you can set in the xdf. I'm using parts of that in my own code for the max limiter for example.

It is an enhancement of the original mod yeah. If you already have the original mod, pm me for an update.

One of my volvos is S70 2.0T manual, 132 kw originaly, Italian version which comes with 442 ecu. No wonder why your 2.3l automatic is slow. Just flash 607 bin on it. 

• Upvote 1

It's slow, because ECU was removed from 2.0 LPT instead 2.3 HPT. Max turbo pressure reach about 0.4 bar max instead 0.8.

Probably I need do different thing. Read immo from new ECU and flash it to old one. Currently I'm using manual ECU inside automatic car. It's working somehow, but is it safe for gearbox?