Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

6 hours ago, gdog said:

Curious, what vintage me7 were you looking at?

This was from a 2001 s60. With newer I meant newer than m44 ofc. I haven't looked at my 05 and up yet, as I dont have such a car here yet. Those had a major redesign in code so they may perform differently.

Would it be possible for someone with a narrowband and a wideband installed to map narrowband voltages to AFRs?  Would this be accurate enough to use?  I don't have a wideband installed and I'd like a ballpark figure for my AFRs.

Also, are people open to sharing their tunes?  It may take some guesswork out for those of us having some trouble.  I've attached my latest tune, which I think runs OK, but I really don't know if it's any good.  I have a 19T which peaks around 21-22 psi, a 3'' downpipe, NA cams set for high RPM powerband (it really has no bottom end), green injectors @ 3.8 bar that pretty much max out, and a 3.25'' MAF housing.  My friend's butt dyno says it's making 170-180 kW at the wheels (he's recently had his car on a dyno).  I occasionally get about 2 degrees knock retard even tough my timing at peak boost is about 6 degrees, and at other times may throw a code at WOT saying I've damaged the catalytic converter (I think this is from being too rich and/or having exhaust cam too far advanced).  Not having actual AFRs, intake/exhaust temps, or a proper adjustable cam gear, I am stabbing in the dark.

If someone with similar hardware could provide me with their tune, I could try to compare my timing map, VE maps, load request etc, to it, to see if I'm close.

608_rev6_AC_bigMAF33.bin

A narrow band acts as a flip fop: it cannot be used to determine the exact AFR.

It can only show whether the AFR is higher or lower then 14.7.

@venderbroeck
 hey man. i know it was a long time ago, but you told me to flash your 4.3 map on my ecu. and since i still havnt upgraded to 4.4 (no one wants to make a god damn map from begining to end, and tuners scared of volvos because of bad 4.3 experiances eg. 3 days and a bearly runing car...) could you link me your 4.3 bin?

and also,i now want to do a COP conversion when going 4.4, since its awesome.Seen it on Mighty car mods with a haltech, wanted to go standalone, and than found that this amazing comunity already has it figured out on a STOCK ecu. I heard @Tightmopedman9  is the guy behinde coding it, and you are behinde testing it. is that true?
dose the code cost anything or is Tightmopedman9 just such an amazing person to give it to us for free ? :D
So a few things need to be solderd, a bin flashed, an adapter connected and bum, COP? is it any diferent for 2.0 engines?

I am kind of new to this, i guess his page is beust tuning or?
i could probbly do the hardwear mod my self, its the coding that is bugging me.

Edited by BlackD3vil
checked out his sig, and found out i got it right. thank you wizzi

M4.4 tuning log observations:  Doing some tweaks to my tune (with WB control mod) and noticed my AEM WB AFR reading follows the requested AFR quite well (<= 0.1 AFR delta between the two) most of the time, except when I need it most; during pulls at loads > 6.0 ms or so.  Then I seem to be seeing an offset; the measured AFR from the WB looks to be about 0.3 - 0.5 AFR leaner than requested.  Conditions are relatively steady-state, typically WOT or close to it.

Am going richer in pwr band area of VE map to squelch some knock that i am still fighting.

Anyone else noticed this?  Will add a pic later if that helps..  Thanks!

Edited by gdog

The 0-5v of the AEM is not a default 0-5v 10-20AFR. From my understanding the wideband mod is atm hardcoded for a 0-5V = 10-20 AFR, but the AEM  reports between 8.5 and 18.5. You should check their manual.

Either the input of the wideband mod needs to be hardcoded to satisfy the 0-5v range your wideband outputs, or you'll need to edit your AFR request table to make up for this difference (messy solution)

Kinda funny you come up with this now, I got my AEM a few days ago and ran into the same problem :P

Edited by Boxman

Yep .. the wb mod is hardcoded for 0 volt to represent an AFR of 10 and 5 volt to represent an AFR of 20.

You have to adjust the wideband controller to match that.

Don't mess with the tables. 

3 hours ago, Boxman said:

need to edit your AFR request table to make up for this difference (messy solution)

That's not going to work.
Yes the wb mod will target the right 'voltage' so to speak, but it does that by correcting the 'first guess' made by the ecu based on the same values in the table.
The wb mod is setup in such a way that with a good calibration this 'first guess', and the target afr line up so the correction will be minimal. If you alter the conversion of the ve table you only correct the target of the wb mod, but the 'first guess' value will still be off. For a small linear offset correction this is not a problem, but for a conversion to a totally different voltage range this leads to bigger deviations.

That said, not all aem controllers are alike. They also have 10-20 afr for 0-5v models. Check the manual to make sure.
Aem is one of the few brands that don't allow the consumer to setup their output characteristics unfortunately.
I'm working on an adaptation for the wb mod that accomodates these controllers.

Edited by venderbroeck

If at all possible it would be useful to split the current VE/Target Lambda in two separate maps, a VE for the first guess and a Lambda request for the wideband. But I understand this might take a lot of work and would only be useful in some situations.

Like I said, messing with the tables is a messy solution but atm the only viable one if you want to use the AEM wideband, as the AEM can't be programmed.

I'll eagerly await the adaptation for the AEM X-series :)

Edited by Boxman

Splitting up the maps kind of defeats the purpose of the mod, and is unnecessary if the car is well calibrated, and has a vacuum system that's in good condition. 

Once I've adapted it to aem conversion it should run it just fine.

On 9/24/2016 at 9:20 AM, venderbroeck said:

Once I've adapted it to aem conversion it should run it just fine.

Sounds like a future mod that I'll require too?

In the meantime I can just tweak my VE table a bit richer in the higher load cells to compensate, yes?

@Boxman  Did you ever write ecotrans about their 5ms spec and your test results?  Curious if they had an explanation or..?

Edited by gdog

@gdog I've written them to ask for either a refund or a rebate, with the reason of the product not being as advertised regarding the reaction time. They never questioned my claims but just told me to send it back, and I'd get the purchase price minus shipping costs. After discussing how this is not fair as I have to pay for shipping costs to them as well (so I'll be  the only one taking a loss, shipping once to me and shipping once to them while they make 0 costs), they simply stopped responding. I'll be damned, after over a week of silence they responded last night. I'm getting a 20% refund or can send it back.

Anyone interested in a discounted ALM-ADV Gauge version? :P

Edited by Boxman

14 hours ago, gdog said:

Sounds like a future mod that I'll require too?

In the meantime I can just tweak my VE table a bit richer in the higher load cells to compensate, yes?

@Boxman  Did you ever write ecotrans about their 5ms spec and your test results?  Curious if they had an explanation or..?

Not a future mod... it's already done (by venderbroeck)