Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

I don't know is anyone knows this or not. The ECU receptacles are made by AMP/TE, The large are Junior Timer and the small ones are Micro timer II. Volvo want loads of money for them, if you buy the AMP version, They cost peanuts. Ive just bought 50 of each for £11.40.

2017-01-06%2015.02.54.jpg

• Upvote 5

Good job!!

This looks like the small one?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/964263-2/A123076CT-ND/5419548

and the large?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/927771-1/A107207CT-ND/3488768

By chance did you find a crimper for these that's not a mint?

Edited by gdog

There are Many different ones. I spent about 4 hours researching and found the ones suitable.
Large 927770-3
Small 964275-1

As for the crimp tool, I have one for crimping superseal connectors, It works with these. You can buy cheaper versions that will work though, Something like THIS

Edited by Avinitlarge

Has anyone managed to simulate the crank and cam triggers for bench testing with an Arduino? Ive been trying for the past 2 days and failed miserably. Last night I cam across something called Ardu Stim which I got quite excited about as I thought it would do the job, 60-2 crank plus cam sensor. Ive been playing with it for the passed 4 hours, Sadly, I failed yet again

Sadly, I don't have a function generator :blush: I left the Author a message, he said " Does your stock system use a VR or Hall sensor? VR inputs likely need some signal conditioning (RC integrator) to make the digital ardustim signal look like the analog signal the ecu wants to see." Which is easy enough to sort out, I don't have a scope to check the waveform and I wouldn't know what cap or resistor to use.

8 minutes ago, Avinitlarge said:

Sadly, I don't have a function generator :blush: I left the Author a message, he said " Does your stock system use a VR or Hall sensor? VR inputs likely need some signal conditioning (RC integrator) to make the digital ardustim signal look like the analog signal the ecu wants to see." Which is easy enough to sort out, I don't have a scope to check the waveform and I wouldn't know what cap or resistor to use.

Hi,

I do believe that the engine has a hall sensor to determine the cam position.

// Turboforslund 

Very interesting that feeding it a square wave even works at all.

From my understanding, the VR sensor outputs a variable frequency AC sine wave, where amplitude (voltage) increases with engine RPM. This then goes through some sort of condition circuit such as a opamp (zero crossing detector) which converts this to a square wave which is much easier for the micro controller to understand.

I would look into creating a power inverter type of circuit where you use two transistors, one to represent each output wire (2) of the VR sensor. I don't think it would be necessary to implement a full sine wave, but you could probably get away with a modified sine wave (sine wave in the form of a square wave), so you dont have to implement any massive LUTs (look up tables).

Another option would be to screw the AC and take a DC square wave approach with 2 transistors like piet has. This will allow for the voltages of 0, 2.5 and 5v which will be useful for implementing the missing tooth (2.5V).

Look at this document for more information on the above http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/219351/219351.pdf

The came sensor should be fairly easily to implement and its either on or off (0V or 5V).

Edited by Simply Volvo

22 minutes ago, Simply Volvo said:

Look at this document for more information on the above http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/219351/219351.pdf

The came sensor should be fairly easily to implement and its either on or off (0V or 5V).

Im just in the middle of reading that, I think I will find my answer in that document, I hope 🤞 

Ive decided to forget about it. Needs a lot of code altering and adding which I can't do. Needs and extra circuit building which will end up costing about £80 in parts, Its just not worth bothering with for the little use it will get.

Idea Scrapped, not unless someone comes up with something nice and simple

Edited by Avinitlarge

16 minutes ago, Avinitlarge said:

Ive decided to forget about it. Needs a lot of code altering and adding which I can't do. Needs and extra circuit building which will end up costing about £80 in parts, Its just not worth bothering with for the little use it will get.

Idea Scrapped, not unless someone comes up with something nice and simple

Why not trace the circuit and see if the VR sensor input goes to any ICs. Look up the integrated circuit datasheet and see if its some sort of conditioner. Find the output pin and simply tap into that, this way you can just feed it a 0-5 square wave that's already conditioned.

Edited by Simply Volvo