Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

12 hours ago, gdog said:

Yeah I wish @venderbroeck was on here more too but everyone's got their life to live.  Hopefully in the future..  :blink:

What do you mean by TCV setpoint?  And I couldn't really tell much from those pics. 

Was the BTC (boost threshold control) ever working? 

Did you try to disable it (BTC) and problem goes away? 

What's your "boost threshold for LDR active" table look like?  I.e. at what setpoint does LDR control kick in?  On mine the table units are in bar BTW, and I have mine set to 0.54 for all rpms.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I disabled the BTC and the problem didn't go completely away, it still cut the boost but the engine kept running.

As you can see from the photos when under boost the requested AFR flat lined then the injector duty cycle went through the roof along with air mass (3.25" MAF) this all happened in 0.1 of a second.

My " boost threshold for LDR active " was set to 0.13 but I've now set them to 0.53 across all rpm's

I've two trains of thought on what could be behind this problem, a faulty fuel pump or a corrupt piece of wideband control software.

I've got a spare ostrich with a original bin file that venderbroeck modified for the latest wideband control software.  

cutout1a.jpg

cutout2.jpg

15 hours ago, oblark said:

As you can see from the photos when under boost the requested AFR flat lined then the injector duty cycle went through the roof along with air mass (3.25" MAF) this all happened in 0.1 of a second.

I've two trains of thought on what could be behind this problem, a faulty fuel pump or a corrupt piece of wideband control software.

That's some crazy sh*t there.  Doubt the fuel pump can lose pressure that quickly but I would definitely rule that out by taking a drive with fuel rail pressure gauge attached.  Could be fuel pressure regulator too.

But seems more likely a bad maf sensor or mis-calibrated table maybe?  It seems all of the sudden your AFR request is going way too lean, but instead of going lean, the ecu seems to be commanding it to go richer, (per the inj duty cycle going off the charts).

It seems you've got a serious hardware or firmware fault there.  Do you have a different bin, maf, etc. that you can try that makes a difference?  When did this start happening; i.e. what changed?  E.g. did you try loading this bin onto an extra ecu to eliminate the ostrich?

Only other thing that comes to mind is check all you tables (load request, ignition, AFR request, TCV duty cycle, etc.) for smoothness.  It's happened to me before, where I fat-fingered some entry that's way out of line; creates quite the hiccup in drive-ability!

Edited by gdog

I checked the bin file against an old one and noticed some of the knock tables where set to 8.02 load instead of 12.24.

I set the BTC to 0.54 but under WOT I was only getting 5psi of boost so I've lowered to 0.44 and I try that during the week. 

On 10/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, oblark said:

I checked the bin file against an old one and noticed some of the knock tables where set to 8.02 load instead of 12.24.

I set the BTC to 0.54 but under WOT I was only getting 5psi of boost so I've lowered to 0.44 and I try that during the week. 

Make sure you use the Load re-scaling tool for all things knock and ign timing related

On 10/22/2018 at 1:16 PM, bomb192uk said:

Load rescaling tool????

13 hours ago, Avinitlarge said:

Some more context:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/159506-tuners-rejoice-free-tuning-for-m44/?do=findComment&comment=2326481

Edited by gdog
  • Upvote 1

On 24/10/2018 at 2:54 AM, gdog said:

Wow that was a while ago!

When rescaling Ignition and VE load I assume you have to rescale all the other maps which use the same load scale?

Just been looking at the Wiki, Any idea which MAF this is?

3.5"    BMW 3,5,7 series     2.24     1850 kg/h

Only Ones I can think of are the ME7 style ones

22 hours ago, Avinitlarge said:

Just been looking at the Wiki, Any idea which MAF this is?

3.5"    BMW 3,5,7 series     2.24     1850 kg/h

Only Ones I can think of are the ME7 style ones

It's a BMW MAF, you have to remove the sensor module and fit the one from the Volvo MAF

Got mine from ebay, like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E38-740i-e39-540i-4-4-MAF-MASS-AIR-FLOW-SENSOR-METER-1702078/123455737330

5 hours ago, Avinitlarge said:

Thats the one Ive got already, This is it in the Wiki  3.25" BMW E39 1.94 1612 kg/h

CIhQ0pB.png

I'm sure the one I've got is 90mm (3.5") ID but it's at my garage so can't measure it or get the part number until I go down. I will update as soon as I can

Interestingly there seems to be two different sizes of MAF one US spec and one Euro spec....

Edited by bomb192uk

On 28/10/2018 at 2:33 PM, Avinitlarge said:

Thats the one Ive got already, This is it in the Wiki  3.25" BMW E39 1.94 1612 kg/h

Right so I dug out my BMW MAF and measured it.  It is unfortunately the 3.25" (82mm) ID with an OD of 93mm.  The part number is 0280217800

After some digging on the BMW forums the 3.5" MAF is from the Euro M3 (and others including porsches) with a part number of 0280217806.  Problem is these seems to be way more expensive than the 800 MAF even second hand and I can't verify the 3.5" is actually the ID.

There are some custom aluminium housings available, though they list the sizes in OD instead of ID:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-OD-MAF-Mass-Air-Flow-Housing-for-VW-MK3-Jetta-Golf-GTI-M62-540I-740I-Volvo-/261442958951

Edited by bomb192uk

On 11/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, bomb192uk said:

Right so I dug out my BMW MAF and measured it.  It is unfortunately the 3.25" (82mm) ID with an OD of 93mm.  The part number is 0280217800

After some digging on the BMW forums the 3.5" MAF is from the Euro M3 (and others including porsches) with a part number of 0280217806.  Problem is these seems to be way more expensive than the 800 MAF even second hand and I can't verify the 3.5" is actually the ID.

There are some custom aluminium housings available, though they list the sizes in OD instead of ID:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-OD-MAF-Mass-Air-Flow-Housing-for-VW-MK3-Jetta-Golf-GTI-M62-540I-740I-Volvo-/261442958951

Dont use the 540i 3.25 ID maf. It reads wrong for some reason 1.94 was giving me only 950 KG/Hr on a k24 at like 19 PSI.I put in the S90 MAF with 1.34 and same tune... was making 1070 kg/hr which is exactly what it should be making. BMW 540i Maf does not seem to read right.