Sign in to follow this  
Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

26 minutes ago, Avinitlarge said:

mines the same, it’s down to the injectors (750cc), it’s annoying but clears pretty quickly 

I'm still running green injectors. :)

It never did this with the old 2.3 engine. 

20 hours ago, oblark said:

Hi,

As the weather getting colder here in the UK I've noticed when the car is started from cold it runs very rich (AFR of 10) 

When rev'd it doesn't pick up and when it does black smoke comes out of the exhaust, after 5 minutes of idling it runs fine.

So I'm thinking as it's now a 2.5 ltr the warm up tables need tweaking, so which warm up table needs adjusting ?

Thanks

warm up tables.jpg

Mine runs rich if its completely cold and lean when its still warm and not cooled off completely.

It should not be a problem at idle as far as I am aware but you can fix this by setting delay time to lambda regulation on to a small value. Pretty sure its in seconds.

5bfd7740973e6_Delaytimelambdtaregulationon.JPG.b31c7699775bcdc7ddc58a552f04ac68.JPG

I also see you are running a wideband. I am not sure how Aaron coded it in but since it uses STFT to regulate the AFR if you set the Delay Lambda Reg to 1 sec it should start using the wideband AFR 1 sec after startup and go to AFR target table right away.

Dont quote me on this but I think the delay is for Catalytic converter protection because of the cat warmup procedure. If you are not running a cat I think you can just set them to to like 4 or 5 seconds or something with no problems :)

Edited by lowkeyturbo
Adding info

Reduce your acceleration enrichment at low coolant temps, there is another accel enrichment table at 0xCFA4, same size and axes as the other tables. 

Also, reduce the values in afterstart enrichment at 0xD8B4, single axis table, 16 values long. 

It is impossible to get the 850 MAF to sit in the center of the 540i housing, it is off by more than .75". I stopped recommending this housing because it is a pain in the ass to tune. 

Avinit, I like the hole in your board so that you can solder the pins to the board in situ, very smart. 

Which MAF(s) do you recommend then? The Aluminum ones with the honeycomb straighteners on eBay etc?

9 minutes ago, gmsgltr said:

Which MAF(s) do you recommend then? The Aluminum ones with the honeycomb straighteners on eBay etc?

960/s90 MAF up to 1100 kg/hr aka around 320 WHP

1 hour ago, Tightmopedman9 said:

Reduce your acceleration enrichment at low coolant temps, there is another accel enrichment table at 0xCFA4, same size and axes as the other tables. 

Also, reduce the values in afterstart enrichment at 0xD8B4, single axis table, 16 values long. 

It is impossible to get the 850 MAF to sit in the center of the 540i housing, it is off by more than .75". I stopped recommending this housing because it is a pain in the ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD to tune. 

Avinit, I like the hole in your board so that you can solder the pins to the board in situ, very smart. 

Is there another maf you recommend? My 18T Maxed the 960 MAF so thought the BMW one was the answer.

Thank you, Razorx said soldering the headers were a nightmare so I though access to the pins was the answer. Makes it so easy to do.

Edited by Avinitlarge

4 hours ago, Tightmopedman9 said:

It is impossible to get the 850 MAF to sit in the center of the 540i housing, it is off by more than .75". I stopped recommending this housing because it is a pain in the ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD to tune. 

Never had any problems with it.

Just put the 850 sensor straight in and multiply the maf table with 1.94.

At least a dozen here are using it this way without any problems.

You do have make sure  however,  that the sensor is sealed airthight in de Maf housing because it’s not a tight fit by itself.

I share Piets experience.

If I remember correctly, I posted a formula to help you calculate the correction  factor when the MAF sensor has an offset.

Piets real value has more value than my calculated one 1.96. 

More important is that this value earlier published by Piet works like a charm. ;)

I use the 540i housing too, and I can see where @Tightmopedman9 is coming from. Here's an early datalog of the conversion factor I made a while back when switching myself and observing some erratic behavior. Done in-car with 1000+Hz datalogger, both sensors in-line.

hYXA6ng.jpg

(Flow runs til "350kg/hr" on the new housing or ~700 actual KG/hr in this particular set)

After some more measuring and touch-ups I made a custom conversion table for my personal setup between both housings.

Edited by Boxman
  • Like 1

Both sensors in line,  after each other, gives erratic readings.

I had to put the airfilterbox in between to get the right conversion. 

Well yes, if you put them straight after each other, which is a silly thing to do. In car the air-box was in-between since one of them was driving the ECU, on the bench an amply long piece of large-diameter tubing was used between the sensors. Results were pretty consistent, with sensors swapped as well.

On average this data show's 1.94-ish so I see where you're coming from, it's just not a straight factor across the range and especially not on low flow-speeds, I suspect from alinear off-axis effects.

Edited by Boxman

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, lowkeyturbo said:

Mine runs rich if its completely cold and lean when its still warm and not cooled off completely.

It should not be a problem at idle as far as I am aware but you can fix this by setting delay time to lambda regulation on to a small value. Pretty sure its in seconds.

5bfd7740973e6_Delaytimelambdtaregulationon.JPG.b31c7699775bcdc7ddc58a552f04ac68.JPG

I also see you are running a wideband. I am not sure how Aaron coded it in but since it uses STFT to regulate the AFR if you set the Delay Lambda Reg to 1 sec it should start using the wideband AFR 1 sec after startup and go to AFR target table right away.

Dont quote me on this but I think the delay is for Catalytic converter protection because of the cat warmup procedure. If you are not running a cat I think you can just set them to to like 4 or 5 seconds or something with no problems :)

The delay to lambda regulation is set to 10 on mine. I'm running a 200 cel performance cat.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, Tightmopedman9 said:

What would the conversion factor for afterstart enrichment be ?

Thanks

lambda delay.png

Edited by oblark

Mine runs very rich at the moment too (due to local temp being around 4 celcius now).

I also get some rough running/misfire for around 1 second whilst it is warming up.  Can happen 2 or 3 times until the engine gets to temp, seems only since the outside temp has dropped.

Mine is also the 2.5 engine and running the standard 2.5 fuel and ignition maps up to 5 or 6ms load, the other maps (warm up factor, etc) are standard 608.

Seems there is a lot of fuelling maps to consider even when going to slightly bigger injectors. Starting to think an aftermarket ecu would be a better option?

Edited by bomb192uk