Sign in to follow this  
Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Recommended Posts

On 12/27/2018 at 4:07 AM, Turboforslund said:

Hi,

Should the cooling fan always kick in as soon as the AC runs?  Shouldn't it be engaged after a while only when there is a need for cooling (like in most modern cars)? 

Differences in behaviour between x70 an 850 models?

// Turboforslund

Is that possibly the case? I don't know. I'm just familiar with the 850 routines.

Piet has sent me a couple revisions to try, but no luck with the cooling fan engagement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what fueling table the launch control uses ? I have a feeling the default one is a bit lean and I wanna add a bit more fuel to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lowkeyturbo said:

Does anyone know what fueling table the launch control uses ? I have a feeling the default one is a bit lean and I wanna add a bit more fuel to it. 

Yes, check alternate maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so coming back to this. I finally did a verification of the -936 bin that @Turboforslund sent me (Listed with his XDF file in THIS POST).

The hope was that flashing this file to a spare -936 ECU would result in a functional, flashable ECU. The only mods were to disable the SAS delete and rear O2 sensor diagnostics. Nothing else was touched. Unfortunately, the result was exactly the same as when I flashed this bin to a 98MY (-450) M4.4 ECU. The car struggled to start and stay running, and the cooling fan then continued to run as long as the battery was connected.

So...there may be an issue with the -936 file, or something else is amiss.

Attached is the last modified -607 bin that @Piet sent me where he tried to mesh the -936 AC routines into the -607 bin. The file gives AC function, but no cooling fan engagement with AC command. (Not sure about when the engine is up to temp, as I haven't run the car that long).

So, this still hasn't quite been sorted out. If anyone wants to take a gander at the files to see if they spot something, please feel free. :)

 

607_rev5b_850GLT_Airco_V4.bin

Edited by Chuck W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'am not sure why the fan doesn't engage or even that it should.

Maybe it's just not warm enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piet said:

I'am not sure why the fan doesn't engage or even that it should.

Maybe it's just not warm enough.

Yeah, I'm not sure if that is the case or not. 

Based on some info I got on another forum when I asked the specific question on X70 vs 850 fan routines, it seems that the -607 should act the same as the -936 in regards to AC/cooling fan function.
(From a Volvo mechanic)
All M4.3 and 4.4 (Mot 5.xx on P80 for that matter) use A/C high pressure sensor and pressure level to select fan speed (hi or low). Engine temp also is used but usually if fan is running for A/C pressure reason it exceeds the cooling needs for engine.

I don't recall there being any noticeable differences in any of the Motronic versions using two speed fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I already knew that, I saw that in the bin.

Pressure must be at least 3 bar before the fan kicks in.

A friend tested it: with 6 degr Celsius his AC pressure was only 2.8 bar, his fan did not start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Piet said:

Yes I already knew that, I saw that in the bin.

Pressure must be at least 3 bar before the fan kicks in.

A friend tested it: with 6 degr Celsius his AC pressure was only 2.8 bar, his fan did not start.

OK, well then there must be some difference in the fan routines then, as the fan engages with the -936 bin whenever the AC compressor is commanded, as long as it was warm enough for the ECU to allow the AC compressor to engage. I always checked AC/fan function with the stock -936 ECU immediately before and after testing any of these other bins.
When I had a moment (and favorable temperatures) I was going to try the std VS -607 bin with the AC Mod in my '97 T5. I know the AC worked in that car with this file, but I didn't pay attention to the cooling fan.


As a side note, there appears to be an issue with the -936 bin that I posted. Flashing that bin to either another -936 ECU or any other turbo M4.4 ECU results in a car that struggles to start and stay running. Also, the cooling fan will kick on during this time and will not shut off until the battery is disconnected. The car starts and runs fine when the stock -936 ECU is put back in the car.

Edited by Chuck W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yaeh, but I replaced the fan routine too :blink:

 

 

1 hour ago, Chuck W said:

As a side note, there appears to be an issue with the -936 bin that I posted. Flashing that bin to either another -936 ECU or any other turbo M4.4 ECU results in a car that struggles to start and stay running. Also, the cooling fan will kick on during this time and will not shut off until the battery is disconnected. The car starts and runs fine when the stock -936 ECU is put back in the car.

So this bin  only works with the ECU it's extracted from?

That's peculiar ....

Edited by Piet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Piet said:

Yaeh, but I replaced the fan routine too :blink:

Weird.
 

Well, this must be an oddity with the -936 bin. It's about 10*C here this morning, and I was going to test things in my '97 T5 with the VS -607 bin. I started the T5 to test AC function with the stock M4.3 ECU and the AC compressor kicked on, but the fan did not. The fan was running later when I arrived at work and the engine was up to temp, so the fan isn't faulty. I'm not going to mess with swapping the flashed -607 ECU into this car (the T5) again until I'm ready to actually do the conversion (Was a plan for this car anyway), but no need to really test, if the M4.3 ECU does the same thing.
It has been as cold as 5*C here when I was testing the ECUs in the GLT, and EVERY time the AC compressor is commanded the fan kicks on, so there is something different in the fan routines of the -936 bin, I guess.

It looks like your  V4 -607 combo bin potentially works, but I may have to wait until we get more steady warmer temps to really verify.

 

I remember when reading through the thread that the group at some point decided to stop supporting the -607 bin and just focus on the -608, seeing as you could switch between manual and auto by changing the bytes at 1 address. I don't remember what other changes have been made to the -608 vs the -607 after that point, but would it be a good idea to switch this to a -608 bin base, or is it just not worth it? Just thinking on down the line if someone else wants to do the same thing.

Another question on the -936 bin. Is there an immobilizer in there somewhere? Just trying to figure out why the ECUs flashed with a -936 won't start/run. I know there was a small hardware difference in the board between the -936 and a 98MY M4.4 ECU, and you said that *might* be immobilizer related. I'm not sure how a car acts when the immobilizer is doing it's thing.

EDIT- Just saw your post. 
I don't know if it only works in the ECU it's extracted from or not, as that ECU is dead now, as the chip is pulled. It hasn't worked in 2 other ECUs though. One of which was another -936 ECU.

Edited by Chuck W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chuck W said:

Weird.
 

Well, this must be an oddity with the -936 bin. It's about 10*C here this morning, and I was going to test things in my '97 T5 with the VS -607 bin. I started the T5 to test AC function with the stock M4.3 ECU and the AC compressor kicked on, but the fan did not. The fan was running later when I arrived at work and the engine was up to temp, so the fan isn't faulty. I'm not going to mess with swapping the flashed -607 ECU into this car (the T5) again until I'm ready to actually do the conversion (Was a plan for this car anyway), but no need to really test, if the M4.3 ECU does the same thing.
It has been as cold as 5*C here when I was testing the ECUs in the GLT, and EVERY time the AC compressor is commanded the fan kicks on, so there is something different in the fan routines of the -936 bin, I guess.

It looks like your  V4 -607 combo bin potentially works, but I may have to wait until we get more steady warmer temps to really verify.

 

I remember when reading through the thread that the group at some point decided to stop supporting the -607 bin and just focus on the -608, seeing as you could switch between manual and auto by changing the bytes at 1 address. I don't remember what other changes have been made to the -608 vs the -607 after that point, but would it be a good idea to switch this to a -608 bin base, or is it just not worth it? Just thinking on down the line if someone else wants to do the same thing.

Another question on the -936 bin. Is there an immobilizer in there somewhere? Just trying to figure out why the ECUs flashed with a -936 won't start/run. I know there was a small hardware difference in the board between the -936 and a 98MY M4.4 ECU, and you said that *might* be immobilizer related. I'm not sure how a car acts when the immobilizer is doing it's thing.

Yeah, that was me who stated that the -608 bin could used in stead of a 607 bin by just flipping a bit.

But there's more to it:  many parameters, although on the same hex-adres and having the same functions are having different values for use as an automatic bin.

The airco routines of the -607 and -608 bins are basically the same anyway, so it's not worth it.

 

It has to be immobilizer related I think that this specific 608 bin only works with the ECU it's extracted from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Regarding the 936 bin. 

Is the software version the same in your untouched stock ecu vs. the extracted bin from the first spare 936-ecu vs. the latest spare 936-ecu?

0261203936_xxxxxxxxxx or 0261203936_yyyyyyyyyy?

Did you try the last spare-936 ecu in the car before the reflash?

Wondering if there is a immo, hardware or bin version issue.

// Turboforslund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Piet said:

Yeah, that was me who stated that the -608 bin could used in stead of a 607 bin by just flipping a bit.

But there's more to it:  many parameters, although on the same hex-adres and having the same functions are having different values for use as an automatic bin.

The airco routines of the -607 and -608 bins are basically the same anyway, so it's not worth it.

 

It has to be immobilizer related I think that this specific 608 bin only works with the ECU it's extracted from.

OK, I remember reading about it, but I didn't read too deeply into it. I think all I did was take a -608 bin and made the change you mentioned and saved that bin for future reference. Haven't tried to use it at all.

12 minutes ago, Turboforslund said:

Hi,

Regarding the 936 bin. 

Is the software version the same in your untouched stock ecu vs. the extracted bin from the first spare 936-ecu vs. the latest spare 936-ecu?

0261203936_xxxxxxxxxx or 0261203936_yyyyyyyyyy?

Did you try the last spare-936 ecu in the car before the reflash?

Wondering if there is a immo, hardware or bin version issue.

// Turboforslund

I'll have to check the software versions when I'm back at home this evening. I seem to recall those numbers being the same, but I'll verify when in put eyes on them later. I didn't try the latest ECU before flashing it, as I didn't figure it would be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turboforslund said:

Hi,

Regarding the 936 bin. 

Is the software version the same in your untouched stock ecu vs. the extracted bin from the first spare 936-ecu vs. the latest spare 936-ecu?

0261203936_xxxxxxxxxx or 0261203936_yyyyyyyyyy?

Did you try the last spare-936 ecu in the car before the reflash?

Wondering if there is a immo, hardware or bin version issue.

// Turboforslund

OK, I've looked at all 3 -936 ECUs, and I'm not finding the software version anywhere on the exterior of the ECU. The only one I have the software # for is the one I sent you the ship from (1037358551) and that is only found in the "Bin Information" section in TunerPro. That number matches nothing on the outside of the ECU case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this