Sign in to follow this  
Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bomb192uk said:

Indeed that is a critical bit, my apologies.

I used the IAT channel as mine does not have an IAT sensor.  To log this you need to edit the binary in the hex editor on tunerpro and change the value at 0x7E93 from FF D9 to FB 25 (FB25 is the accelerometer value).  If you don't fancy editing the binary then you can insert a new XDF parameter in tunerpro to edit that location (set the Address to 0x7E93, the size to 2 bytes (16bit) and the output type to Hex Digits).

Then edit the IAT value in the tunerpro definition and change the name and formula to get the correct output value.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!  Though it would be nice to know how you arrived at that info too?  :rolleyes:

And is that address the same in both 607 and 608 bin?  Edit: at 0x7F0D in 607 by chance?

Edited by gdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gdog said:

Thanks!  Though it would be nice to know how you arrived at that info too?  :rolleyes:

 And is that address the same in both 607 and 608 bin?

Of course.

From Mercuric's drivecycle log file I tracked down the IAT fetch and send code and identified the RAM value location of FFD9.  I then traced the code in the binary and found FFD9 at 0x7E93.

The accelerometer RAM value I found from the DAMOS file.  But the DAMOS descriptions are mostly in German. 'Accelerometer' in German is 'Beschleunigungsmesser'.  I found this is shortened in the DAMOS to 'BS-Sensor' at RAM location FB25.

From looking at other ecu binaries it seems the RAM locations don't change between the software revisions and should work for the 607 (and 609, 611, 612 and so on). The location of FFD9 is different in the 607rev5b though. In the 607 bin edit address 0x7EF2. In the 607rev5b bin edit address 0x7F0D

Please forgive me if I have not used the correct terminology above.

Edited by bomb192uk
Wrong info
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bomb192uk said:

In the 607 bin edit address 0x7EF2

Are you sure?  Looking at un-modified 607_rev5b.bin, I'm seeing the same code pattern (including 0xFFD9) at 0x7F0D, that I see at 0x7E93 in the 608 bin.

Edited by gdog
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, gdog said:

Are you sure?  Looking at un-modified 607_rev5b.bin, I'm seeing the same code pattern (including 0xFFD9) at 0x7F0D, that I see at 0x7E93 in the 608 bin.

Indeed you are right, the 607 bin I was looking at was the rev5 and not the rev5b (d'oh, soooo much code and files).

So change the value at address 0x7F0D on the 607rev5b to FB25

I've updated the M44 wikia

Edited by bomb192uk
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 8:23 AM, Chuck W said:

Weird.
 

Well, this must be an oddity with the -936 bin. It's about 10*C here this morning, and I was going to test things in my '97 T5 with the VS -607 bin. I started the T5 to test AC function with the stock M4.3 ECU and the AC compressor kicked on, but the fan did not. The fan was running later when I arrived at work and the engine was up to temp, so the fan isn't faulty. I'm not going to mess with swapping the flashed -607 ECU into this car (the T5) again until I'm ready to actually do the conversion (Was a plan for this car anyway), but no need to really test, if the M4.3 ECU does the same thing.
It has been as cold as 5*C here when I was testing the ECUs in the GLT, and EVERY time the AC compressor is commanded the fan kicks on, so there is something different in the fan routines of the -936 bin, I guess.

It looks like your  V4 -607 combo bin potentially works, but I may have to wait until we get more steady warmer temps to really verify.

 

So, 

It's been a hot minute, but I haven't had a chance to get back to this until today. It was at least 75*F (25*C) here. so it was plenty warm enough to fully test the AC/cooling fan function, and I got a few minutes with the wife's '97 GLT when she got home from work. Confirming with her stock -936 ECU, turning on the AC engages the cooling fan.


I then swapped in a flashed ECU with a modded -607 bin with the -936 AC routine (as done by @Piet) with is attached HERE.

Turning on the AC did not engage the cooling fan, but seeing as the engine was already at temp, it did kick on after the engine warmed up a little more. 

Still not sure why the fan engages with the -936 bin, but not with the -607, but at this point I'm going to move forward with tuning, seeing as the cooling fan at least engages when needed.

So thanks to @Turboforslund for extracting the -936 bin and to Piet for modding the -607 bin, allowing '97GLT's to be able to benefit from the tuning capabilities AND have working AC.

Edited by Chuck W
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi, is the table for maf 3 '' checked? I multiplied by 1.6, but I do not think it works well. you can answer pm

Edited by bmkamill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chuck W said:

So, 

It's been a hot minute, but I haven't had a chance to get back to this until today. It was at least 75*F (25*C) here. so it was plenty warm enough to fully test the AC/cooling fan function, and I got a few minutes with the wife's '97 GLT when she got home from work. Confirming with her stock -936 ECU, turning on the AC engages the cooling fan.


I then swapped in a flashed ECU with a modded -607 bin with the -936 AC routine (as done by @Piet) with is attached HERE.

Turning on the AC did not engage the cooling fan, but seeing as the engine was already at temp, it did kick on after the engine warmed up a little more. 

Still not sure why the fan engages with the -936 bin, but not with the -607, but at this point I'm going to move forward with tuning, seeing as the cooling fan at least engages when needed.

So thanks to @Turboforslund for extracting the -936 bin and to Piet for modding the -607 bin, allowing '97GLT's to be able to benefit from the tuning capabilities AND have working AC.

Thanks for the update but if you're referring to this link, it doesn't seem to work.  http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=15003

Maybe post it to the wiki as a possible solution for 97 850 GLT AC fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chuck W said:

Try this attachment.

 

 

607_rev5b_850GLT_Airco_V4.bin

Nope; same message:

"Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1"

 

VS seems a lousy place to host files.  Get yourself a dropbox account for hosting; very easy.

EDIT: below link works.  Thanks!

Edited by gdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gdog said:

Nope; same message:

"Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1"

 

VS seems a lousy place to host files.  Get yourself a dropbox account for hosting; very easy.

I thought about that after I posted it and logged off. I keep forgetting that the attachments don't work here...

I have Dropbox, Google Drive, and my own personal hosting. I'll get it linked up later on today.

EDIT - Try this link. If it works, I'll see about adding it to the Wiki.

607_rev5b_850GLT_Airco_V4.bin

Edited by Chuck W
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in need of a bit of advice if anyone can help me out. 

I'm running a gt28 with supporting mods. Tuned it myself hitting 11.8 afr at WOT and 18psi of boost. 

I tuned it in dry but cold conditions. But now that the weather is much hotter it seems very flat at WOT compared to before. On the evenings when it's below say 10 degrees it pulls very well but during the warm days around 20 degrees C it seems to lack power. It still boosts fine if not 1 or 2 psi more sometimes in the warmer weather. 

I've read here that tuning with ldr off and leaving it that way can cause a power decrease in the warmer weather if the initial tuning was done in cooler weather. Its as if that's what I'm currently experiencing except I my ldr etc is all on and hasn't been messed with. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or is this possibly normal behaviour? 

Data logging shows 0 knock anywhere whether hot or cold weather. 

Thanks in advance 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, WMBB_ said:

I'm in need of a bit of advice if anyone can help me out. 

I'm running a gt28 with supporting mods. Tuned it myself hitting 11.8 afr at WOT and 18psi of boost. 

I tuned it in dry but cold conditions. But now that the weather is much hotter it seems very flat at WOT compared to before. On the evenings when it's below say 10 degrees it pulls very well but during the warm days around 20 degrees C it seems to lack power. It still boosts fine if not 1 or 2 psi more sometimes in the warmer weather. 

I've read here that tuning with ldr off and leaving it that way can cause a power decrease in the warmer weather if the initial tuning was done in cooler weather. Its as if that's what I'm currently experiencing except I my ldr etc is all on and hasn't been messed with. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or is this possibly normal behaviour? 

Data logging shows 0 knock anywhere whether hot or cold weather. 

Thanks in advance 

 

Kind of boosted engines 101.  It's why lots of people add bigger intercoolers.

Do some googling on it; here's a decent explanation: https://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/turbos-and-temperature-summer-weather-and-turbocharger-performance/

So what does "supporting mods" mean exactly in your case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there are any spare/unused XRAM locations?

Just read some pages back and looks like there aren't without messing with routines

Edited by bomb192uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 6:21 AM, gdog said:

Kind of boosted engines 101.  It's why lots of people add bigger intercoolers.

Do some googling on it; here's a decent explanation: https://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/turbos-and-temperature-summer-weather-and-turbocharger-performance/

So what does "supporting mods" mean exactly in your case?

It feels to me like a bigger issue than that though. I can feel the difference between hot and cold weather performance normally but this just feels different. Its seems as if there's a significant drop in power. But since writing my original question I have had a play around with the map further and it does seem much better now. Im as of yet to experience the same drastic drop in power. 

 

In terms of supporting mods my current setup is as follows:

Gt2871 

Vxr injectors at 3.8bar 

4" intercooler 

AEM 320 fuel pump 

3" turbo back 

90mm maf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this