Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, bomb192uk said:

There used to be a signal description list for each pin but I can't find it any more.  Fortunately I've got my own copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0avaurxii29vth/Motronic44-1.jpg?dl=0

Yeah :) that one's from VIDA, there's also the list from MotronicSuite, however in regards to the MAF offset this isn't actually documented anywhere that I've seen, the stock 850 sensor doesn't put out 0-5v, I think max it puts out is 6.5 or so volts, and then the ECU sees this as 5v (ADC 255) due to whatever conditioning it has inside the ECU.

I didn't do much testing myself but found that when switching to the HFM5 the actual voltage being output by the MAF and what the ECU was seeing was different (at idle it was down by 0.1v or so iirc) which I got around by using the different channel, then found Boxmans post on here since which I think he found it has an offset factor.

Edited by jenksta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all. So a tuner friend of mine owns an 850R like myself and is giving it a go with trying to tune our vehicles. We are having issues with controlling boost. We cannot get any boost to build. He's tried adjusting target load setpoint, didn't seem to make a difference. Same with adjusting TCV Duty Cycle Pilot. Looking through the M4.4 Wiki, made sure he's changing values in the 70% throttle column. Also tried disabling LDR routine to get 1:1 control with TCV duty cycle pilot, no change. We've tried the Volvo TCV's and a Mac TCV, no change. He is auto so he's using a 607 bin, I am manual swapped and it does the same with a 608 bin. We are using a 610 ECU with an ostrich chip for live tuning/datalogging. He was able to get a good base tune with a MBC on my vehicle, but obviously we want TCV control to finalize tune and have everything working smoothly. Have you guys run into this before or know the solution to this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to mention on this, is the boost solenoid works with the stock pcm. We tested this with the volvo oem scan tool.  We can get the test click from the stock pcm. I feel like were missing some change in the software.  I also put the tcv control  to 90. I increase load settings and nothing is being commanded. Here is the file we are working with. Its the 607 bin. Im also getting a checksum when I try to save this.

Any help to start with would be great Thanks guys.

Basefile880ccinjrectorsstockmaf.bin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fran9690 said:

Hello all. So a tuner friend of mine owns an 850R like myself and is giving it a go with trying to tune our vehicles. We are having issues with controlling boost. We cannot get any boost to build. He's tried adjusting target load setpoint, didn't seem to make a difference. Same with adjusting TCV Duty Cycle Pilot. Looking through the M4.4 Wiki, made sure he's changing values in the 70% throttle column. Also tried disabling LDR routine to get 1:1 control with TCV duty cycle pilot, no change. We've tried the Volvo TCV's and a Mac TCV, no change. He is auto so he's using a 607 bin, I am manual swapped and it does the same with a 608 bin. We are using a 610 ECU with an ostrich chip for live tuning/datalogging. He was able to get a good base tune with a MBC on my vehicle, but obviously we want TCV control to finalize tune and have everything working smoothly. Have you guys run into this before or know the solution to this problem?

Is it running the stock wastegate actuator? An old/weak (or even incorrectly adjusted) actuator can cause issues. 

Also check the "max TCV duty cycle" is set to 100%

Have you checked the logging to see what the TCV duty cycle maxes out at when running?

8 hours ago, supercowboy said:

The other thing to mention on this, is the boost solenoid works with the stock pcm. We tested this with the volvo oem scan tool.  We can get the test click from the stock pcm. I feel like were missing some change in the software.  I also put the tcv control  to 90. I increase load settings and nothing is being commanded. Here is the file we are working with. Its the 607 bin. Im also getting a checksum when I try to save this.

Any help to start with would be great Thanks guys.

Basefile880ccinjrectorsstockmaf.binUnavailable

You'll need to upload via another hosting platform as attachments don't work on here work some reason so we can't download it.  Maybe try dropbox?

Edited by bomb192uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, supercowboy said:

The other thing to mention on this, is the boost solenoid works with the stock pcm. We tested this with the volvo oem scan tool.  We can get the test click from the stock pcm. I feel like were missing some change in the software.  I also put the tcv control  to 90. I increase load settings and nothing is being commanded. Here is the file we are working with. Its the 607 bin. Im also getting a checksum when I try to save this.

Any help to start with would be great Thanks guys.

Basefile880ccinjrectorsstockmaf.binUnavailable

What car is your m44 ecu from? If its from an non turbo you need to add two solder bridges inside the ecu or the TCV won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently noticed something on my 4.4 ECU w/ 607_rev5b bin.  When giving it throttle under load the CEL will flash, which I know is set up for knock detection (and misfires).  It's inconsistent and didn't happen until just recently.   Seems to happen over 3k RPM and usually not present in the upper rev range (under WOT). Otherwise car runs great and isn't tripping any CELs that stick.

What should my next step be? 

Edited by Serge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jenksta said:

What car is your m44 ecu from? If its from an non turbo you need to add two solder bridges inside the ecu or the TCV won't work.

All 3 that we've used are a 610 ECU, which looking at wiki, is from a LPT vehicle.

12 hours ago, bomb192uk said:

Is it running the stock wastegate actuator? An old/weak (or even incorrectly adjusted) actuator can cause issues. 

Also check the "max TCV duty cycle" is set to 100%

Have you checked the logging to see what the TCV duty cycle maxes out at when running?

You'll need to upload via another hosting platform as attachments don't work on here work some reason so we can't download it.  Maybe try dropbox?

This happens on both my manual R and his auto R. Both are newer wastegate actuators from what I recall. Mine is a couple year old kinugawa that I adjusted per the manufacturer instructions upon install when I upgraded turbo. TCV duty cycle max is at 99.61 and min is at 5.08. Not sure about the DC for logging, will have to get back to you on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Serge said:

Recently noticed something on my 4.4 ECU w/ 607_rev5b bin.  When giving it throttle under load the CEL will flash, which I know is set up for knock detection (and misfires).  It's inconsistent and didn't happen until just recently.   Seems to happen over 3k RPM and usually not present in the upper rev range (under WOT). Otherwise car runs great and isn't tripping any CELs that stick.

What should my next step be? 

log it, look at the replay of the data log. Look where you see the knock happen. find the load and rpm part of the map. Drop the timing down a bit. simple.  remember to data log and watch the logs. This will tell you what the car is doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone.   Does anyone have tested good .bin file for a launch control/step with fuel cut so I can get some pops and bangs.  I know the one one the wiki is available but to my understanding it cuts spark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, supercowboy said:

log it, look at the replay of the data log. Look where you see the knock happen. find the load and rpm part of the map. Drop the timing down a bit. simple.  remember to data log and watch the logs. This will tell you what the car is doing. 

Using TunerPro RT?

Also, the M4.4 ECU I am using is from a LPT car, not sure if that makes a difference (I figure it doesn't since the bin is for a T5 car).  Not sure why it would do this on a stock setup.  Charge hoses and vac lines are all silicone.   Plugs are gapped right and fairly new.

Edited by Serge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 1:02 AM, Fran9690 said:

All 3 that we've used are a 610 ECU, which looking at wiki, is from a LPT vehicle.

This happens on both my manual R and his auto R. Both are newer wastegate actuators from what I recall. Mine is a couple year old kinugawa that I adjusted per the manufacturer instructions upon install when I upgraded turbo. TCV duty cycle max is at 99.61 and min is at 5.08. Not sure about the DC for logging, will have to get back to you on that. 

Hmm.  Upload your bin via dropbox and we'll have a look see if anything stands out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bomb192uk said:

Hmm.  Upload your bin via dropbox and we'll have a look see if anything stands out

I've never used dropbox before, just made an account and added both my bin for my manual R and the auto bin of my buddy. 

 

Let me know if the link works or you have any issues. 

 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wji5dku5snyuqx1/AAAJ34rCQmkqgVvVu6QEFGNra?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, had a quick look at both files.

Your BMW MAF file looks ok apart from the alternative maps (used for map switching) are not the same as the normal maps.  It could be these are being used for some reason.  Plus, as you know, you've got it set to TCV Duty Cycle control only.

The 80lbinjector file is a bit of a mess.  It seems to be a 608 file (set for manual gearbox) but is missing the first 16 bytes so the whole binary is at an offset of -10hex and does not match a 607 file at all.  It also appears to be the launch control version (maybe Rev6?).

What I would do for both ECUs is start again with a base 608rev5b bin from HERE and copy all your modified values over.  Set the hardware config (at 0xC8ED) to 0 for the auto car.  That way you are ruling out the binary as an issue.

12 hours ago, Fran9690 said:

I've never used dropbox before, just made an account and added both my bin for my manual R and the auto bin of my buddy. 

Let me know if the link works or you have any issues. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wji5dku5snyuqx1/AAAJ34rCQmkqgVvVu6QEFGNra?dl=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bomb192uk said:

What I would do for both ECUs is start again with a base 608rev5b bin from HERE and copy all your modified values over.  Set the hardware config (at 0xC8ED) to 0 for the auto car.  That way you are ruling out the binary as an issue.

Where is the hardware config. Not seeing where it is located. Ive converted everything and I will try the map and see what happens. The other thing is I did test the power to the solenoid and it gets battery voltage. Checked pin 41 from ecu to solenoid and there is continuity.  Also is there a specific xdf file to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, supercowboy said:

Where is the hardware config. Not seeing where it is located. Ive converted everything and I will try the map and see what happens. The other thing is I did test the power to the solenoid and it gets battery voltage. Checked pin 41 from ecu to solenoid and there is continuity.  Also is there a specific xdf file to use?

You can add it manually in tunerpro, it's not listed in the XDF normally.  Just add a new flag parameter and point it to 0xC8ED.  Then you can change it to 1 or 0 for manual or auto.

Fingers crossed it works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.