Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

8 hours ago, Dangerous Dave said:

There is already an eprom emulator that some of us use.  It is called an Ostrich. There is a lot of information in this thread/topic, maybe an hour or two of reading will give you more info?

yeah ive seen ostrich. in my country there is no way to buy it for a reasonable price, also i wanna try to make it by myself as i see it. thx for info, i will try to find that topic to get information that i want. 

Tried to find any info about ostrich but all mentions refers to this topic and consists  of "installed ostrich blah.blah.blah.... " e.t.c.

So i still need some info))

upd. already found how to fix checksum - pretty easy.

how to avoid ac problems on 4.3 car with 4.4 ecu

time to find out how to get data from xdf files..

Edited by Byte_My_Void

11 hours ago, Byte_My_Void said:

how to avoid ac problems on 4.3 car with 4.4 ecu

Piet came up with A/C mod in ecu firmware that works in most cases.  Some with GLT 850 in USA models had issues where it didn't work.

7 hours ago, gdog said:

Piet came up with A/C mod in ecu firmware that works in most cases.  Some with GLT 850 in USA models had issues where it didn't work.

As someone with a '97 GLT, I can say that after much help from Piet and Turboforslund, we know that the AC routines in the US '97GLT M4.4 ECU (-936) are not the same as those in the 98MY M4.4. 

I tried all of the above, as well as a few other things, and didn't have working AC in the car until the fix for the '97GLT was found by Piet. We've had the flashed M4.4 in the car for over a year now with no AC issues.

The information gained from this has also been passed onto Aaron at VAST.

Doesn't sound like it matters to the poster's situation, but it is worth noting.

as i see this is enough to fix ac in all firmwares when using m4.4. on m4.3 car right?

PostedBy Piet

Change both bytes at address $6AC8 and $6AC9 in the manual bin or address $6B42 and $6B43 in the automatic bin into #00

34 minutes ago, Byte_My_Void said:

as i see this is enough to fix ac in all firmwares when using m4.4. on m4.3 car right?

PostedBy Piet

Change both bytes at address $6AC8 and $6AC9 in the manual bin or address $6B42 and $6B43 in the automatic bin into #00

Yes*

* The '97 LPT 850s are "M4.4" cars with the older EEC modules. A 98MY M4.4 ECU modded like above, or not, will not work. It took special coding to get things to function. Now for a HPT M4.3 car, yes, changing those bytes works. I also have a '97 T5 HPT car with an M4.4 conversion, and the "AC Mod" works just fine.

My 850 AWD is a '97 M4.4 as standard (as it is the LPT) and the AC mod doesn't work.

I have got around that by stripping out the logging code (don't need the map switching) and applying it to some left over space in my AWDs original binary (some 200 bytes is all that is needed and there is plenty available).  Have tested it today and so far it works fine.

I am having a slight issue with my tune.

When transitioning from part throttle to full throttle my car hiccups as such before going through the revs. Its quite annoying and i cant figure out the cause. The AFR's drop down to low 10s at that point for a split second. Someone suggested altering the acceleration enrichment but I have had a play with that and no joy. After this little hiccup it pulls fine with no other issues across the rev range. It only seems to do it when accelerating hard above 3000rpm. If i full throttle below this its usually fine. Is there something else on the map that needs to be adjusted? My current set up is listed below. 

Thanks 

2.4 T-5 engine

GT28 Turbo

VXR injectors and 3.8bar reg

3" Turbo back exhaust

3.25 ID Maf

On 8/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, B_T-5R said:

I am having a slight issue with my tune.

When transitioning from part throttle to full throttle my car hiccups as such before going through the revs. Its quite annoying and i cant figure out the cause. The AFR's drop down to low 10s at that point for a split second. Someone suggested altering the acceleration enrichment but I have had a play with that and no joy. After this little hiccup it pulls fine with no other issues across the rev range. It only seems to do it when accelerating hard above 3000rpm. If i full throttle below this its usually fine. Is there something else on the map that needs to be adjusted? My current set up is listed below. 

Thanks 

2.4 T-5 engine

GT28 Turbo

3" Turbo back exhaust

3.25 ID Maf

Hi,

Can it be the "TPS Angle for WOT Detection" or "Throttle angle threshold for LDR active" that needs an updated calibration? 

Have you checked the WG-tention? Do you run with a different throttle housing diameter with the new engine? 

What does TCV duty cycle, Air Mass, STFT and Injection time tell you if you make a log file?

// Turboforslund

On 8/4/2020 at 7:21 AM, B_T-5R said:

......It only seems to do it when accelerating hard above 3000rpm. ..

Thanks 

2.4 T-5 engine

GT28 Turbo

3" Turbo back exhaust

3.25 ID

Check your 3.25 ID maf readings if you do log.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:35 PM, Turboforslund said:

Hi,

Can it be the "TPS Angle for WOT Detection" or "Throttle angle threshold for LDR active" that needs an updated calibration? 

Have you checked the WG-tention? Do you run with a different throttle housing diameter with the new engine? 

What does TCV duty cycle, Air Mass, STFT and Injection time tell you if you make a log file?

// Turboforslund

I can see a little dip in rpm and load when it happens so looking further into it around that area I can see airmass seems to climb as normal, injection time has a little hiccup and so does tcv. Pin pointing the start of the dip and the end of it I can see on my tcv map a potential issue with a square edge as such. I'll give the tcv map a smooth out and see how it behaves. I'm still in the process of mapping so I have all my LDR routine off until I rebuild a target load table. Fingers crossed this little blip in my tcv table was the issue. Thanks for the input :-) 

Hi!

New one here from Sweden. Recently bought an Volvo 850 from -97. Manual gearbox and B5254T AWD, 2.5 TURBO. 

The ECU is 0261204305 and on flash it says 358409.

I've been readning around here (and there) and from my understanding there are functions in missing in these early versions and the .xdfs doesn't line up very well.

Is it possible to upgrade to a newer software version with better correlation to the xdf.s ? 

My target is a bit of tuning - and maybe next year make a speed limited car (are there VMAX limiters available even on this old car?)

Thanks and Best regards

- Erik

Been doing some correlation between my 305 binary and 608_rev5b binary in an hexeditor I found VMAX (soft) at address 0xC926 ... but that is set to 128 in the 305 binary which seems like an awfully low limiter. This makes me think that it is either not honored - or the location is wrong, or the function isn't available at all  🤔

5 hours ago, ErikH said:

Been doing some correlation between my 305 binary and 608_rev5b binary in an hexeditor I found VMAX (soft) at address 0xC926 ... but that is set to 128 in the 305 binary which seems like an awfully low limiter. This makes me think that it is either not honored - or the location is wrong, or the function isn't available at all  🤔

Hi Erik,

C926 in the 305 binary is the injector constant.  The speed limiter is at C927 and is the only one (there is 2 in the 608)

And to answer your other question, you can flash the 608 binary onto it as that binary does not have the immobiliser. Just the AC won't work even with the AC mod.

The 305 binary like other M4.4 binaries is missing some routines but not many.  The locations for settings will be different to the 608 due to the missing routines and maps (like there is only one knock enrichment map compared to the 2 on the 608).

Most of the settings are not far off the 608 ones (the same for other binaries like the 448 and the 609).

The other difference is the aircon control is for the crossover between M4.3 and M4.4.

The good news is the logging routine I ported over to the 305 is working great, though I have had to remove the bit values for now due to a problem with a reused RAM address (I will eventually get round to sorting this but I don't really need the bit values, for now it's streaming battery voltage instead).  This means that any binary could be converted to run logging without removing existing routines and retaining OBD functionality (as has already been done).  I have also ported over other little things like COP control and the MIL light on knock detect.

At some point I want to do the same to the 609 binary.

Edited by Dangerous Dave

Thanks a lot. Excellent info and very interesting!

So flashing 608 will give me both hard and soft vmax limiter, well defined maps and exellent logging (good work indeed). But AC won't work. Did I understand correct?

Maybe its possible to bypass AC control and disengage it from ECU completely.

Erik

1 hour ago, ErikH said:

So flashing 608 will give me both hard and soft vmax limiter, well defined maps and exellent logging (good work indeed). But AC won't work. Did I understand correct?

Maybe its possible to bypass AC control and disengage it from ECU completely.

That is correct, the AC won't work (or at least it doesn't on my 850 AWD).

There is probably (anything can be done in time) a way to get the AC working but I haven't looked into that yet, Piet did do a modified AC version for Chuck as his AC was different too.