Tightmopedman9

Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

On 8/25/2020 at 8:08 AM, ErikH said:

Nice work. This I will try. Experienced the same issue...

Anyone knows if there are any gear (manual gear) based limiters in M4.4?

I know that in earlier M3.8 there isn't any (You can ellaborate with ignition adjustment/gear but thats all afaik).

I assume limiters were introduced in ME7 but I'm not sure.

In the 608 binary there is a gear dependant boost control option at C9A3 (configbyte for gear dependant boost control in the XDF) though I don't know how effective it is as I've not fully tested it before. 

FYI this option is not in the 305 binary. 

Edited by Dangerous Dave

What sort of limiters would you want gear based? Would be quite simply to add the functionality depending on what you wanted to use it for?

hey guys im new to m4.4 tuning but not my volvos, i have successfully flashed the rev6 608 files onto my 97 850 awd, cant seem to get my logging to work, would love to keep an eye on things before any changes. any starting points?? thanks so much guys

On 9/2/2020 at 9:12 PM, Pearlgreen850 said:

hey guys im new to m4.4 tuning but not my volvos, i have successfully flashed the rev6 608 files onto my 97 850 awd, cant seem to get my logging to work, would love to keep an eye on things before any changes. any starting points?? thanks so much guys

First thing, if you can, connect to the ecu using realterm then send an 'L' to enable permanent logging (until battery or ecu is pulled).  Your should get a response from the ecu with a 'L' in it.

If you get that response then you can try the logging again.

Let us know how it goes.

• Upvote 1

Just finished up the VAST DIY COP conversion while doing the manual swap on my '97 T5. Works Great!

I integrated the new COP wiring into the engine harness by making jumpers between the ECU connector and the 24/15 connector out to the engine harness. All tucked away out of sight.

Edited by Chuck W

On 9/4/2020 at 12:09 PM, Dangerous Dave said:

First thing, if you can, connect to the ecu using realterm then send an 'L' to enable permanent logging (until battery or ecu is pulled).  Your should get a response from the ecu with a 'L' in it.

If you get that response then you can try the logging again.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks man got logging working even added some launch control and spark cut rpm limiters into a 608 bin modded to look like 609 maps. Car is running awesome so far.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:35 AM, Chuck W said:

Just finished up the VAST DIY COP conversion while doing the manual swap on my '97 T5. Works Great!

I integrated the new COP wiring into the engine harness by making jumpers between the ECU connector and the 24/15 connector out to the engine harness. All tucked away out of sight.

Everyone should be running COP.  Stock coils?

Edited by gdog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gdog said:

Everyone should be running COP.  Stock coils?

Currently just a set of used "R" coils.

I need to do this to the wife's car, but we're also going to activate the exVVT, so just an extra bit of wiring needed. Have the .bin ready for it.

Now I'm trying to find some good info on boost control settings, just to turn things up a little bit.

Been a while - do we know the exact way the ECU calculates load? The formula found in the m4.4 datasheet (Q/(n*Ki), with Q = MAF in kg/hr, n=RPM and Ki=injector constant) doesn't seem to be quite right. I can't reproduce logged values of load from logged parameters and injector constant. Missing a factor 26-27 with a random +- 1 component when just putting that in, so which parameters does the ECU use exactly, and in which units, if anyone knows?

Edited by Boxman

On 9/14/2020 at 6:54 AM, Boxman said:

Been a while - do we know the exact way the ECU calculates load? The formula found in the m4.4 datasheet (Q/(n*Ki), with Q = MAF in kg/hr, n=RPM and Ki=injector constant) doesn't seem to be quite right. I can't reproduce logged values of load from logged parameters and injector constant. Missing a factor 26-27 with a random +- 1 component when just putting that in, so which parameters does the ECU use exactly, and in which units, if anyone knows?

OK so I found my notes on this... kinda... the rest im gonna piece together with my general knowledge of EFI and stuff I found on the internet.

So you can't just plug in the raw values because we have no idea how M44s constant was calculated and with what units...

tL(ms) = mL / (n x K1)

mL is corrected air mass.
n is engine speed rpm.

K1 is calculated constant.

Lets pretend this is how K1 is calculated nCyl*14,7*Qstat[g/min]*0,0000167[ms/min]*60[min/h] / 1000[g/kg]

Lets try this with 315cc injectors at idle (840rpm & 14kg/hr)

K1 = 5 * 14.7 * 226g/min * 0.0000167 * 60 / 1000. K1 = .0166

tL = 14kg/hr / (840 * .0166) = 1ms

Seems pretty legit. Honestly what I would do is look back at your logs and just try to solve for K (since we have no idea how M44s is calculated or what units it uses) with the units you want to use... it should always remain constant.

tL(ms) = mL / (n x K1)

(n * K1) = mL / tL

K = mL (KG/HR) / tL (ms) / n (RPM)

Plug values from your log in and you'll always get the same K, then just use that K.

~Matt

Edited by Simply Volvo
  • Like 2

Ah, that helps a lot, I can definitely work with that! I assumed "Ki" was the value in the injector constant field, didn't know it was a lot more intricate.

Reverse-engineering it based on logs indeed seems the way to go. Thanks a lot! I'll get on that and will probably deliver ported maps for Megasquirt soon :)

Hello again guys!

I have M4.4 from 850R (seems rare)  and 850 with  M4.3 - > seems i dont need ac mod?

also anyone can give me link to FW

for orange jets,  15turbo, 2.3 manual with 0.8 constant boost?

Edited by Byte_My_Void

9 hours ago, Byte_My_Void said:

I have M4.4 from 850R (seems rare)  and 850 with  M4.3 - > seems i dont need ac mod?

Unlikely, seeing as NONE of the 850Rs came with an M4.4 ECU from the factory.

It's possible it's already been upgraded to M4.4. 

1 hour ago, Chuck W said:

Unlikely, seeing as NONE of the 850Rs came with an M4.4 ECU from the factory.

It's possible it's already been upgraded to M4.4. 

it was rare european 1997 850R 5254T AWD  Wagon... unlikely people who didnt understand its price dissasembled it, i got only ecu from it.

My car is fwd 1995 5252->turbo swapped to 5234T with m4.3.

Now i have some errors and no boost at all. first of all ive changed spark plugs, and ordered HO2S sensor. also spark wires are in perfect condition. but i have misfire errors(but no signs of it on engine) and strage power stage group D error(seems thats why AC not working now)

i want to install 4.4 to get modern diagnostics to become avalable, but i need to get proper firmware for a start.

ive got an idea to install mcu instead of flash memory in ECU(ostrich->nextgen), but i cant find memory map of m4.4...

diag.jpg