Tuners Rejoice! Free Tuning For M4.4!

I think the offset you see might be from the reverse flow detection of the HFM-5 type MAF maybe ? I recall there was an offset there, and 0V actually meant reverse flow through the MAF (from turbo to filter) and 0.5V or more actually meant "zero flow"

Edited by Midnight Caller

11 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

I think the offset you see might be from the reverse flow detection of the HFM-5 type MAF maybe ? I recall there was an offset there, and 0V actually meant reverse flow through the MAF (from turbo to filter) and 0.5V or more actually meant "zero flow"

Apologies meant to say the HFM-2 MAF in my previous post (corrected it). I know the HFM-5 has reverse flow below 1v and this means that the first 52 cells in the MAF table (<1v) are all 0, which ofc loses some resolution down below, but nothing noticeable. If I wanted I could probably scale these down and begin the MAF table at 1v to counter this, and the actual values for the increased resolution are available already due to the double resolution in the ME7 MAF table.

Edited by jenksta

11 hours ago, jenksta said:

FWIW I run a HFM-5 MAF as opposed to the original HFM-2. It did require hw mods as I had to swap the 12v feed to the original maf to a 5v one (aswell as repin to the new style plug), and also had to swap the ADC channel (I used the accelerometer chan) as the original one had a strange voltage offset.

The maf I used was 0280218089 iirc (came from my T6 xc90) which again iirc is 3 inch/78mm (and that's ID too not OD), and the conversion table was ripped straight from the original ME7 bin so no messing with conversion etc (just had to half the table resolution iirc as ME7 is 2x the size). 

Although not a biiig upgrade from original it gives me plenty of flow sensing for what I need atm and could always use a bigger HFM5 if needed and again rip the oe table from the source vehicle bin.

My apologies too, but now I'm really confused :D
Moving from HFM2 to HFM5 and changing the ADC channel still should require zero-ing values up to 1V, doesn't it ?

Edited by Midnight Caller

1 minute ago, Midnight Caller said:

My apologies too, but now I'm really confused :D

Haha I was originally too, all I know is that eventually I got it working and I now have the extra ~420kg/h flow from the larger MAF and didn't cost anything as had two of the T6 HFM-5 MAFs to hand (I'm a cheapskate haha), plus using the original OE voltage->flow conversion values.

If anyone fancies doing the same and needs help just let me know 👍

• Like 1

So, my Google-fu is failing me.

Working on configuring a couple ECUs for WBO2 logging with Spartan 2's. I have the details on the proper connections, etc for the WB signal, but have people made use of the NB emulation in place of the signal from the stock sensor? (So connection at A32?)

I know the WBO2 can run in parallel to the stock one, solely for logging purposes, but is it possible to just run the single WBO2 sensor and use that NB signal TO the ECU?

Hi,

Haven't tried it but it should be possible.  I would suggest to log the NB emulation signal (raw voltage) while having the standard NB still in place.  If they behave similar in voltage at stationary conditions I would see no issues with that setup. 

Do you see any benefits by running WB sensor with NB emulation instead of WB measurement and/or WB controlled? 

I guess a real (stock) NB sensor is always the most trusted "truth" in the end. Rich or Lean. Nothing else.

// Turboforslund

Edited by Turboforslund

It's more curiosity to see if only the one O2 sensor can be reliably used. I've used the Spartan 2's on a couple MegaSquirt builds running WB control with no NB without a problem, but those were a little easier for an average enthusiast like me to set up. 

Using the WBO2 just for logging with the stock O2 for control is perfectly fine for one of the projects, as we'll probably not *need* to mess with the tune once we dial a few things in, so it will not stay on the car. The other project may be a bit more of an on-going project/tune, so streamlining the install might be beneficial.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chuck W said:

It's more curiosity to see if only the one O2 sensor can be reliably used. I've used the Spartan 2's on a couple MegaSquirt builds running WB control with no NB without a problem, but those were a little easier for an average enthusiast like me to set up. 

Using the WBO2 just for logging with the stock O2 for control is perfectly fine for one of the projects, as we'll probably not *need* to mess with the tune once we dial a few things in, so it will not stay on the car. The other project may be a bit more of an on-going project/tune, so streamlining the install might be beneficial.

Do you mean using both the WB & NB signals from the WB controller? If so that's possible. Or you could just change a bit of code to ignore the stock NB sensor channel and let the ECU make a NB signal from your WB input (that way no messing with any extra connections to ECU), which is similar to how the 'WB control' works (or at least my version of it).

2 hours ago, jenksta said:

Do you mean using both the WB & NB signals from the WB controller? If so that's possible. Or you could just change a bit of code to ignore the stock NB sensor channel and let the ECU make a NB signal from your WB input (that way no messing with any extra connections to ECU), which is similar to how the 'WB control' works (or at least my version of it).

This is the part that's above my pay grade.

I can make changes, if I know what they are, but finding where to make them in the code is another story. 

40 minutes ago, Chuck W said:

This is the part that's above my pay grade.

I can make changes, if I know what they are, but finding where to make them in the code is another story. 

If you have the data sheet for your WB controller I could knock you something up. I assume this'll be put into a bin without the closed loop wideband control right? Otherwise it might conflict as I've never seen Piet's code for it.

20 hours ago, jenksta said:

If you have the data sheet for your WB controller I could knock you something up. I assume this'll be put into a bin without the closed loop wideband control right? Otherwise it might conflict as I've never seen Piet's code for it.

I'm using a Spartan 2. 
The bin I'm using is one of VAST's COP 608 bins. I want to say it's using the "mercuric" WBO2 routine (I'd have to get into TunerPro to verify). The signal is on pin B31.