Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lookforjoe

Shelby Gt500 Hood Scoop Ar3Z-16C630-Aa Template

Many, many factors here to consider.

The big one I can think of with your engine coolant temps, is you switched to Evans Waterless stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I think the hood vent looks good.

P.S. where is Chuck in this discussion?

What possible negative side effects? Higher engine temps? Higher EGT's? Neither are evident in the logged pulls I have done since the installation.

Admittedly, I only went up to about 140mph here, but I'm not going to be driving that way on a routine basis - and coolant temps rose less over the length of the pull here than with pre vent logs

-Insert Theory Crushing Data Here-

I don't believe there are any negative effects to be found.

When H types I read it in the All State guy's voice

Many, many factors here to consider.

The big one I can think of with your engine coolant temps, is you switched to Evans Waterless stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I think the hood vent looks good.

P.S. where is Chuck in this discussion?

Actually, that log was pre-Evans :D - operating temps did not drop when I switched, it just is less likely to suffer from localized overheating.

Still watching all that heat escape from the vent as intended, regardless of all the theorists who claim it cannot be... :arob:

1491646_10151743009456370_1752115907_n_z

And.. continuous heavy rain makes no difference

10317691_10203833232413237_1034366294061

There is no contention of the scoop's efficacy when the car is not moving. What is under debate is it's usefulness when the car is moving (i.e when it actually matters) ^_^

well im a copy cat and my s70 came with an extra hood so im stealing his idea lol.

since the hood vent was controversial on it's effect at speed. I did manage to find a short presentation that has some interesting figures.

http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/KTH_Volvo04.pdf

Not from article just my experience: Usually under hood pressure is negative at the rear of the compartment. Air is being drawn out of the engine compartment for cooling effect. As the air passes underneath the large opening (where the engine is) it creates a vacuum behind it.

I'm of the opinion that H's vent might be drawing air in (when he's moving) but the air is continuing much in the same path as the rest of the cooling package air. He's not going to be cooling the turbine gas by any noticeable amount, only cooling the metals on the turbine housing/header/downpipe. Even then it's probably negligible.

He may or may not see an improvement with reducing heat soak. Sounds to me he has, and he accomplished his goal.

You guys should find the spoiler stuff interesting. Anyone spot the C30?

since the hood vent was controversial on it's effect at speed. I did manage to find a short presentation that has some interesting figures.

http://www2.mech.kth.se/courses/5C1211/KTH_Volvo04.pdf

Not from article just my experience: Usually under hood pressure is negative at the rear of the compartment. Air is being drawn out of the engine compartment for cooling effect. As the air passes underneath the large opening (where the engine is) it creates a vacuum behind it.

I'm of the opinion that H's vent might be drawing air in (when he's moving) but the air is continuing much in the same path as the rest of the cooling package air. He's not going to be cooling the turbine gas by any noticeable amount, only cooling the metals on the turbine housing/header/downpipe. Even then it's probably negligible.

He may or may not see an improvement with reducing heat soak. Sounds to me he has, and he accomplished his goal.

You guys should find the spoiler stuff interesting. Anyone spot the C30?

1999 Aero Concept Car = C30. Look how long it took them to develop it and put it in production. Pretty interesting about the spoiler as well (for wagons anyway). I'd like to see if the gimmicky little spoiler on my S70 does anything.