Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing3

2016 Presidential Campaign

Celebrity does not win elections.  Extremists do not win elections even though they poll well in the early days.  Ground teams win elections.  The ability to get people to the polls is what wins elections.

At this stage of the Primaries voters with the most extreme views are the most engaged.  Herman Cain had a lead like Trump's last go around.

The Labor Unions no longer have the power they once had so Sanders is going to fizzle eventually.  And the Billionaires aren't lining up to support Trump so he too will eventually topple..

But there is something to be said for the groundswell that is supporting both Trump and Sanders.  If both sides were united a single candidate rather than polar opposites then this anger would be real trouble. Sanders is going to give Hillary all kinds of problems and that is going to force her to move to Left which will ensure a polarizing election once again.

The Pissed Off Primary: Sanders vs. Trump

The Labor Unions no longer have the power they once had so Sanders is going to fizzle eventually.  And the Billionaires aren't lining up to support Trump so he too will eventually topple..

The liberal and moderate millennial voters seem to like Sanders. But I don't know how many are Facebooker talkers with no action, and how many have ever voted at all. Many like to talk about what should be done, then tell you why they can't be bothered to vote. Rigged system, vote doesn't count, etc.

Youth don't vote.  They might turn out for Hillary in the form of an historic vote like they did for Obama but 18-25 year old is the worst age for turn out.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2014pubs/p20-573.pdf

Oh this just keeps getting better:

How Al Gore might maybe possibly consider running for President.

I can't think of an election cycle that has started off which so much fun as this year.

Is the Republican establishment losing control of the Party?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/roundtable-is-the-republican-establishment-losing-control-of-the-party/

Very insightful discussion.  Clear answer is no but it's going to be a fun few months before the rabble settles down.

Sanders is going to give Hillary all kinds of problems and that is going to force her to move to Left which will ensure a polarizing election once again.

Perhaps, but we all know that politicians will say one thing during the election cycle and do something else when elected.

I just wish the news would lay off on the nonsense bullshit and actually have real discussions. This interview with Sanders is a perfect example, and I'm glad he called the interviewer out on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/magazine/bernie-sanders-has-heard-about-that-hashtag.html?_r=1

I read and immediately thought, "Way to go Bernie!"

Seriously, kick those journalists in the balls verbally or just simply shun them.  The problem is that candidates figure they have to play ball with the media in order to get coverage and in order to avoid pissing off a journalist who will then go after the politician with a vendetta.

I would never vote for Sanders or Trump but if nothing else they're demonstrating what a charade the political process has become.

"It’s also true that the media pays more attention to what female candidates look like than it does to what male candidates look like."

My reaction was "no, not true". But I guess I don't follow the major media closely enough to be sure about that. Trump's hair gets a lot of jokes, Obama's dad pants got some CNN coverage, so did his graying hair. Christie for his weight, though I think that's more internet-based than major media outlets saying it. Michelle got attention for her arms. I feel like every candidate has some physical aspect they're known for, but otherwise most candidates have fairly unexciting looks.

Either way, poor handling of the situation for the interviewer. They couldn't just move past it, or acknowledge it was a "lighthearted question" to break up the serious stuff?

I just wish the news would lay off on the nonsense bullshit and actually have real discussions.

Why would they do that? 
ClintonShruggiegif.gif

Either way, poor handling of the situation for the interviewer. They couldn't just move past it, or acknowledge it was a "lighthearted question" to break up the serious stuff?

Ana Marie Cox is known in DC for being at the front of this story:

Washingtonienne Sex Blog from 2004

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54736-2004Aug10.html 

That tells you everything about why she was interested in the question and handled it so poorly.

IKxZduv.gif

I read and immediately thought, "Way to go Bernie!"

I would never vote for Sanders or Trump but if nothing else they're demonstrating what a charade the political process has become.

so what about Bernie that turn you off?

Alain is a follower warren. 

He will vote for Jeb because he has to

lol jk

There is a stream of invectives I would hurl at you Mike but I'm going to let that slide.

Bernie is like a homespun televangelist, he's great at stirring up the crowd but he doesn't play very well with others.  He has no allies and little influence among the broader ruling system.  He wants to be Jimmy Carter or Theodore Roosevelt but he lacks the campaigning skill to translate his vision into action beyond the populist drinking 30 percent.

He stands out like the firemen in Farenheit 451, fantastic at burning things down and no clue at how to build anything other than outrage.

That, and he's never worked a real day in his life. He's always had his hands and mouth at the public teat so he doesn't have a clue about how the economy really works.

The problem with today's media saturated political experience is that the sheepish masses believe that a warm smile and a smooth tongue (or in Bernie and Trump's cases a red angry face and straight talk) are all that you need to make things better.  They don't ask themselves whether or not the speaker has thought about how to really deliver on her vision and whether or not they have the capacity to actually do it.

Sign in to follow this