Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Che'_Moderator

California - Pleasanton - Pleasanton Volvo

Peter Cohen Rating: 9 Comments: Although I did not buy my car there, Pleasanton Volvo has treated me very professionally on the two occasions that I brought my car in for warranty work. Both times, they gave me a loaner car. (Selling dealer- Smythe Volvo in San Jose told me that loaner cars were only supplied for paid maintenance visits, not warranty work. All work was done correctly the first time. The service writer went and brought out the mechanic to speak with me when they needed more info, or I had additional questions. The only negatives were: My wife brought the car in for a headlight that was burned out, and one of the service writers acted like it was just too much trouble to deal with. Another service writer quickly cam and took over. He changed the bulb himself immediately. Again Excellent service. The service manager (Hans??) has an attitude. Try not to deal with him. These two minor things are the only reason I did not rate them at "10".

Boris Atlas Rating: 1 Comments: A request has been made to take the car to an alignment shop to adjust front end of a brand new V70 that was pulling to the right. The responce was: the shop foreman adjusted the tire pressures and now all is O.K. ?! The mechanic adjusted the pressures to mask the pull, and after insisting on an alignment shop and a printed job sheet from them, it was clear that the front alignment was out of spec. on a brand new car ! If I could I would choose a rating in the minus side for such incompetence !

Martin Romero Rating: 9 (conditonally)

Comments:

Martin is a great service rep, he always keeps me up to date on what is happeneing with my vehichle. Both times i brought my car in i go a loaner, well one rental which they payed for and a volvo loner the other time. My usual conversation occurs like this: he calls and reads to me what the tech wrote, quotes me a price for the recommended work, i ask him questions about the recommendations and what -really- needs to be done, he is not a tech so he tells me he will talk to the shop foreman, he calls back with the bottom line. It seems like a long process, but it's only 2 phone calls and i always have my questions answered.

the conditional part:

Either he, or the whole service department, like to recommend a crap load of work though it may not be 100% needed. I have two examples of this:

1) brough in my car for running rich and they replaced some parts. Because it was running rich they said i need 2 O2 sensors and a new cat, then asked for $1200 to do the work. I told them no and replace the front O2 myself for $250. A latter test found that my cat effeciency was okay, which would have been a waste of $800 for a new oem cat.

2) At a latter service they found that my water pump is leaking like a biatch. So i leave a message saying to go ahead and replace the pump, timing belt, and auxillary belt if it looks worn. When he calls back he verifys what i left in the message but says that when he wanted to fix the cooling system he ment the water pump, all the hoses, and the radiator which costs about $1800. I told him no, replace what is leaking and i'll monitor for other leaks. His argument was the system is only as strong as the weakest link.

I gave him a conditional 9 rating because he is very nice, and even though he suggested thousands of dollars of service he never pressured me into doing the work. I got a car both times and they do good quality work, so just watch out for the extra crap.

P.S. the guys in the parts department are really cool and helpfull. They'll ask techs questions for you on replacing parts you just got, which is on of the best resources.

Martin Romero rating 7 (only 'cause he works at Volvo of P'ton) Lonni Rhinehart rates a 5 minus. Overall amenties get a 10, nice plasma TV, Starbucks coffee, bottled water and snacks. Very cozy waiting room. But............took in a P2 R for an oil change, they put 7 qts in the 5.8 quart oil reservoir. Took in my own Mobil 1 for oil, they charged me for it. :excl: Martin gave me a "free oil change card" (is it really free?). Don't think I'll be back for service, maybe for some coffee though and to check out an Oprah rerun. :lol:

-D

I have not personally been to Volvo of Pleasanton, but the car I purchased was brought there regularly for service. After working ont he car myself, and reviewing the service records, they overcharged the previous owner of my car, charged her to replace things that I can see were never replaced, and charged her to replace things that were just done. They charged her for spark plug wires on a tune-up, but upon removing them myself I can clearly see they were never replaced due to the amount of wear and dirt on them. Another example is they charged to replace a valve on the evap/charcoal canister due to a CEL coming on. 1,000 miles later the car had to be brought in again for the same reason, and they replaced the same valve and charged the another 400$ of labor for it as well as more money for all the other parts for the other work that needed to be done and should have been done the first time. I dislike most dealerships to begin with, but after looking at her records, the previous owner of my car was definitely taken advantage of on multiple occasions by the dealership. Shame on them.