Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Che'_Moderator

California - San Jose - Smythe Volvo

Malcolm Moore Rating: 1 Comments: Absolutely awful. I bought a 1995 850 Turbo in near-mint condition and after the sale, the salesman (Greg Stone) did his best to distance himself from me. They wanted to charge me $320 for what was basically a light reset. One time they held my car for a whole day and did absolutely nothing to it. Nine months later, my mother was in the market for an 850, and the same Greg Stone attempted to sell my mother not one, but two Volvos that we could tell had been run down. We ended up buying from a private seller.

I went there in the past month for two things. The first was that my turn signal handle came off and wasnt working. They were going to charge me over 100 for the labor costs but i named my price of 40 and they said okay. i was firm and said im not paying over 40 because i think its outrageous for anything over that. they said fine. however, the authentic volvo parts ran me 120 and of course theyre gonna be expensive because its a volvo. but i was surprised with the service. it was 100% perfect, and there were no hidden fees or anything . i actually feel i paid LESS because of smythe. i also got a free shuttle ride home even though i came in an hour after the shuttle stopped for the day. great customer service!

The second thing was a recall for a fuel heatshield attachment replacement. they did it for free wonderfully and in my opinion, they have great customer service.

I ended up having my car towed there when my fuel pump died in San Jose. Since it was on a Sunday they ended up leaving the car in the lot until Monday. They were very kind the entire way through and called me early the next morning to tell me the problem (fuel pump). I told them I'll have the car towed back to San Francisco so I can fix it myself and they were very happy to just do the diagnostic. They charged somewhere around $120 for the diagnostic, which isn't too bad.

Overall, they were nice people.

It sounds like the guys at Smythe used to be the world's best but have since faltered. I know a couple of their longtime customers who swear by them, but my personal experience (and those of another couple of friends) has been negative. Also, was told they only give courtesy cars to long-term customers as favors, even though I'd been referred by one. :tdown:

$85 pre-purchase inspection, gave the car a clean bill of health -- missed failing lower motor mounts and a cracked coolant tank which were discovered by my preferred shop 3 weeks later. :tdown:

$700 to replace "missing bolts between the fender and front grill" to get rid of a rattle from the front end on rough pavement on the same car. Didn't fix it. Took the car back in the same day, was brushed off and told it was broken dash tabs, despite the sound coming from the engine side of the firewall. :tdown:

Took the car to the guys my family's been going to for years (who are unfortunately farther away), they drove it around the block, got out, adjusted the hood latches, and fixed the problem in less than ten minutes.