Minimum Wage - What's A Fair Wage?

Burn-E

So about that burger and fries you ate for lunch today...

Fast%20Food%20group%20with%20banner.JPG

do these people really deserve more than minimum wage to do their jobs? You have to be absolutely brain dead to screw up in most fast food joints these days. Should there be a living wage attached? Are the corporations and franchisees just gouging the little man? Is it the economy being so bad that makes this so relevant?

Seems to me they don't understand the economics of their situation. If wages go up, it's inevitable the food gets more expensive and people stop buying but instead seek out alternatives. Wages should match the level of experience required to accomplish the job - that's my thought at least and burger flipping at McD's has been streamlined to the point of practically being idiot proof.

Read this article for some fodder for the discussion:

http://harpers.org/archive/2013/11/home-of-the-whopper/?single=1

And watch this for hilarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFC3LKMIQo

Its all about wage disparity. Franchise owners make money, because they had the money to begin with to invest. They can't suddenly raise the cost of "food" to make up for the increase in wages, otherwise no more 99 cent cheeseburgers, it would come out of the profits of the franchise owner. Not sure how that would affect McD's corporate. Pretty soon it will be computers and robots cooking your fast food, and sending it to the window.

As an example ...

Bank tellers in NYC make on average $11 an hour. That's around $14k a year after taxes. I'm in Manhattan often, and I don't see how people who make less than $300K a year live there. Bank CEO's and executives get yearly bonuses a factor of 100 times that. Lots of places are going to virtual ATM's with video call centers.

For profit has two goals; increases sales, decrease operating costs. You don't do that by doubling people's wages.

What I wonder about is the view of people in true 3rd world countries who make pennies on the dollar for their work... often of which is likely more dangerous.

To me, if you don't want to earn minimum wage... improve yourself beyond a minimum effort.

The price of necessary items to live in those countries is considerably less, namely food and shelter.

I say increase the minimum wage, prices will go up but the overall quality of life will increase for a vast number of people.

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family or provide a livelihood. It's a stepping stone or part time job.

If you're making minimum wage and that's your livelihood, then you're more than eligible for financial aid to attend community college. You then go from making $8/hour to $20+. Minimum wage should drive a person to improve themselves, we don't raise the minimum wage to improve their lives for them.

When I was in high school I washed dishes and worked at a lumber yard. I quickly figured out that wasn't the lifestyle for me, thus I took the proper avenues to ensure that I could make a decent living. Nobody had to tell me that, I figured it out on my own. I didn't even think that it would be proper to ask for more money to perform menial tasks and that was at the age of 15.

l don't even have a bachelors degree, just a couple of associates degrees and a shitload of random community college and university credits. I've been living pretty good since I was 21 years old.

Common sense shit, at least to me.

• Upvote 4

Minimum wage jobs were never meant to support a family or provide a livelihood. It's a stepping stone or part time job.

If you're making minimum wage and that's your livelihood, then you're more than eligible for financial aid to attend community college. You then go from making $8/hour to $20+. Minimum wage should drive a person to improve themselves, we don't raise the minimum wage to improve their lives for them.

If you're working 60hrs a week between two minimum wage jobs in order to pay for your costs of living, how likely is it that you can be successful in community college too? And how long is it going to take to graduate? Those two jobs are often not timed perfectly so that you go directly from one to the other, and both have commutes. The bus, or a car, costs money. The bus might be cheaper, but it's a lot longer of a commute.

IMO, the cost of living has climbed, and the minimum wage has not kept up.

I think we need to raise the bar for financial support programs such as food assistance, AND college. If you want it, pay for it. But I think to do that we have to raise the minimum wage. And I think that'd be a nice political compromise.

If you're working 60hrs a week between two minimum wage jobs in order to pay for your costs of living, how likely is it that you can be successful in community college too? And how long is it going to take to graduate? Those two jobs are often not timed perfectly so that you go directly from one to the other, and both have commutes. The bus, or a car, costs money. The bus might be cheaper, but it's a lot longer of a commute.

IMO, the cost of living has climbed, and the minimum wage has not kept up.

I think we need to raise the bar for financial support programs such as food assistance, AND college. If you want it, pay for it. But I think to do that we have to raise the minimum wage. And I think that'd be a nice political compromise.

Then you would make too much money to get finical aid. So you would have to pay out of pocket or get loans for school which means you couldn't afford your rent/bills. So yeah some people are just fucked.

Then you would make too much money to get finical aid. So you would have to pay out of pocket or get loans for school which means you couldn't afford your rent/bills.

That's stage 2 of my reform plan :P

Subsidizing a large part of the population's costs of anything means they become indifferent to price increases. And I think we need to push away from the "Everyone needs to go to college" idea.

• Upvote 1

I worked shit jobs when I was 15.. Didn't like em...

So I just went and got a lot of tattoos.. Solidifying my place at the bottom of the corporate chain.

Now I will never be able to sell flooring or go on fishing trips.

Dammit.

Oh, and fast food employees make what they deserve.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Then you would make too much money to get finical aid. So you would have to pay out of pocket or get loans for school which means you couldn't afford your rent/bills. So yeah some people are just fucked.

No they wouldn't, not at minimum wage. A person making $12/hour full time would still be able to pull grants, enough to cover tuition and books. They won't be going to a four year school, but it will get them started on the way to that.

I've seen lots of people pull themselves up from the bottom with a lot of shit stacked against them. They also succeeded in time.

That's stage 2 of my reform plan :P

Subsidizing a large part of the population's costs of anything means they become indifferent to price increases. And I think we need to push away from the "Everyone needs to go to college" idea.

College doesn't necessarily mean a four year degree. A certificate program/associates or trade can still do pretty good.

So I just went and got a lot of tattoos.. Solidifying my place at the bottom of the corporate chain.

But you can take clients golfing, just be sure to cover it up with a long-sleeve shirt.

• Upvote 1

Mike, not sure why your coming at me bro but you had a shit marriage and shit jobs, I'd say you got what you deserved?