2.4 With A 15G

erikv11

98 GLT with 15g. It still has the factory ECU and I know that setup will work fine.

I've read a hundred posts and they are still a little all over the map. Plenty of you know the answer to this so ...

If I put in a T5 ECU, do I need whites or are the stock injectors OK? I won't be running higher boost or adding mods, just a cheap, stock T5 ECU.

TIA

• 3 months later...

To recap, the car has:

2.4 engine

stock injectors

15g turbo

Not planning any future mods

So today's question is: how about a 98 R ECU, any advantage/disadvantage vs a 98 T5 ECU?

You will feel no assometer difference form the T5 ecu to the r.

I don't want to get into the debate over NEEDING whites for the 15G itself, but won't running an ECM that is tuned for whites cause fuel trim issues? The T5 ECM is expecting white injectors, and will be trying to adapt to the orange injectors. While the orange may physically flow enough, it may near the limit of the fuel trims and set a DTC, no?

Again, some here may have personally done it, just my thoughts...

Hope this helps,

Joe

@Joe: lots of people have run the T5 ECU with GLT injectors (which are red), for years now, basically no problems.

@Aja: thanks for the tips. You're usually right so probably are here too, but preference right now is to just get an ECU I can drop right in.

@erikv11: it seems there is almost no difference between the 98 R and T5 ECUs, so might as well go with the cheaper one.

@Joe: lots of people have run the T5 ECU with GLT injectors (which are red), for years now, basically no problems.

No offense, but if you already know this, why did you ask?!? :rolleyes:

Most people that do the HPT swap tend to swap injectors and ECM. If you swap only the ECM, the LTFT is going to be @ roughly 10% just to get to acceptable mixture. Doesn't leave much room for error (vacuum leaks, other variables) before setting a DTC...

Anyway, I'm with Keaton on this. With so many affordable tuning options available, no reason to go half way. Most of the guys that simply swapped in a T5 ECM years ago did so because a decent tune used to cost an arm and a leg.

Your choice, but seems your mind was made up before you posted...

Joe

Archived