Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Meade

Installing An Obd Ii Scanner For Iphone

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

So I wanted to get your opinion on something I am thinking about do to my car, and any ideas that would make this more feasible.

I am looking into installing a wireless or Bluetooth OBD II scan tool that would give my live data to my phone/tablet/computer. I am seeing a couple apparent issues to an install already because of where the OBD II port is located. First of all, without taking a section out of the bottom of the piece that lifts from the center console, I don't see a way I could install this as a permanent option that wouldn't change any of the features of the interior of the car. I have been looking into what options I have and I wanted to get your opinion on them and see what might be my best bet. I could get a mini OBD II scanner like this one, being so small, it might work fine and sit flush, or I could get something like this, and wire a wireless OBD II scanner elsewhere in the car.

I guess I am just wondering if any of you have done this before and how you did it. Will the smaller OBD II scanners sit flush or will it extrude a bit rendering either the cup holder or the center console useless or a pain to use? Is there a better way to do this?

I would really like to hear your opinions!

Thanks so much,

Max

Any thing plugged into the OBDII port is going to interfere with closing the armrest. I use an OT-2 to scan data on my iPhone through Logworks. Be aware that only 4 channels of data will display, ISO-9141 is too slow to support more channels reliably, regardless of what any documentation may claim.

To prevent the plug raising the armrest, I moved the OBDII port inside the armrest. You can slot the removable retaining screw cover. Ignore the arrow, this pic was taken to illustrate the VAG-COM cable integrated with the OBDII wiring.

IMG_3598_zpsddf20407.jpg

Why would you want to integrate an OBDII scanner into your car? Are you really pulling codes that often?

if you're doing it for 'data-logging' you do know that OBDII only does 2 samples a second, and that's when you're logging only 3 parameters.

No I don't throw codes that often but being able to clear them on the spot is nice...

I really want it because of the live performance information some of the apps you can get offer.

My friend recently hooked one up to his car and I was impressed on the information you could get.

The little tiny bluetooth obd scanners you can buy on ebay for cheap should be able to fit with the armrest closed. I'll double check on my car tomorrow but I think it'll work. I'm not sure they work with iphones though. Something about apple purposely crippling the bluetooth capability to only use devices they approve of.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

If this isn't spam, fill out your sig :arob:

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Remove the center console.. The port isn't screwed in place, there is a detent and a slot. 10 minute job - ok, a little more on a 850 perhaps...

It is possible use Bluetooth with the Iphone but only if jailbreak your iphone like i have.

I am using a mini Bluetooth ELM327 OB2 dongle from ebay super cheap ($6) and dashcommand (dropped their prices alot more affordable).

The key enabler is the software which you have have to purchase after jailbreaking your iphone. Its called RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 for ios7 the cost is 5 Euros, you can only find the software via Cydia which is installed after you have jail broken your phone.

Click on the Cydia program>Manage>Sources>Edit and then add http://apt.modmyi.com

Then search and install either RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 ( ios7)

After that step you need to search in Cydia for RoqyOBD4 or RoqyOBD7 and install depending again on IOS.

Reboot/respring after install.

In your Dashcommand or similar OBD2 logging program go to settings and select>ELM and configure OB2 port as below:

For details on Jailbreaking iphones/ipads search google for "RedSn0w"

OBD server:

roqyOBD creates a tcp server with those parameters:

Address: 127.0.0.1

port: 35000

Configure your OBD favorite application to connect to this server

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

Starting from iPhone 4s, iphone supports bluetooth low energy. Which means that they can receive OBDII data via bluetooth without jailbreak.

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I have been using a bluetooth low energy adapter found at ebay with my ipod, it is pure white and mini size, it should fit. you should see it if Search lelink on ebay. Hope it helps.

• Similar Content

• IPD Volvo 850/S70 Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer
      By eurotrashed
      NEW IPD Volvo 850/S70 Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer kit. Complete with new bolts and gaskets and instruction manual. 
      $55.00. Price includes shipping to lower 48 CONUS. IPD list these for $79.95 https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5210...anifold-spacer

Thanks,
      Stan
    • 850-S/V70 T5M 5-spd swap parts
      By eurotrashed
      Hey guys,
      I have several Volvo 850/S/V70 5 speed manual transmission swap parts to sell. I am not interested at this time in splitting them up and selling them individually. This would make a great deal for someone looking to collect the parts to do a 850 T5M swap as only a transmission and flywheel need to be sourced. My transmission was destroyed in transit and I was going to go with a new OEM flywheel, but never got that far so my loss is your gain. The pedal box is specific to the Volvo 850 only and will NOT fit the S/V70 series. All other parts I have been told, will fit the S/V70 series. Please do your own research and as always your mileage may vary. Shipping is for inside CONUS lower 48 and is estimated at 40 lbs. Will need to ship more than one box due to size of shifter assembly and clutch. Please do not ask me for a shipping quote to your zip as you can easily research and find out an estimate..UPS will be used. You will pay actual shipping only guaranteed! Parts are located at 29579 Myrtle Beach, SC. $375.00 or OBO+shipping. Please don't waste my time or yours with silly lowball offers as we are all grown ups here and know how hard it is to source some of these parts. Pressure plate had some very light storage rust spots, they have been cleaned and cannot be felt with the finger nail. They are superficial and only mentioned because they are there. See pictures.
      Parts in following pictures are OEM suppliers for Volvo and include:

Clutch friction plate,pressure plate,throwout bearing,flywheel bushing. New and old clutch master cylinder/w attached hoses and hardline. Slave cylinder new, 850 Pedal box used, 5 spd. shifter assembly with center console base and shifter cables used.

This was going to go into a 97 854R with an 18T/ARD T5M M4.4 tune. I am an old man and as such have decided that this will be my DD with an Look at me, I think I am witty transmission.
      Thanks,
      Stan

• S70R Engine Build and GTX3XXXXR
      By S70-R
      Hello again dear members!

As some of you know I've been running the GTX2867R with my internally stock S70R B5234T4 engine.
      The car has been running great and as stated in my other thread I was able to squeeze close to 400hp with this turbo and setup, with my other supporting mods and with my own tunning. It has been proven that 400hp are achievable with stock rods provided supporting mods are there and most importantly provided the tune is GOOD enough for that. Reliability also seems to be ok so far. I've made close to 12.000km with this power and the engine already had 338.000km before that!
      The engine has now 351.000km and I'm starting to look for the future. I want to keep this car not only because I love it, because it's rare but also because I have already put a lot of money into it during the last years and I will never get that value back if I sell this car. Well, maybe I would get it within 20 or 30 year and this car is be a great classic (maybe not :) ).

I know this engine will not last forever. Even if it did the cylinder walls have seen at this point 351.000km so they are wearing out for sure and to keep these kind of power and reliability I don't want to continue using an engine with increasing cylinder wall wear. And also if I want to go a step further in terms of Nm and Hp, I'm now (most likely) on the edge of what a stock engine can handle. So, my engine is now a limiting factor if I want to increase power...and you know, we "turn the boost up" once and we just want to keep it up and up and up...
      About cylinder walls wear, actually I made a few compression tests last week and the numbers were reallyyyy weird. With the engine cold and dry, I got around 125psi across all the cylinder except for the 5th cylinder where I got around 135/140psi.
      When hot, the results were pretty much the same. When hot and wet, the compression only went up by 10/15 psi.
      The 2 weird things were:
      1. Really low compression in every situation. I've done a compression test about 40.000km ago and it was around 175psi on all cylinders.
      2. When wet, the compression didn't go up that huge as it would be expected on an engine with considerable cylinder wall wear. So, it's seems hard/weird to conclude that the compression is really lower than supposed.
      Maybe this cheap compression gauge is not that good and is giving lower values than it should. What is interesting is that the car simply pulls hard and hard and I've never noticed any performance reduction. The only issue is the clutch that from time to time can't handle the torque, specially when this turbo boosts a bit above 20psi at medium rpm (which produces more than 500Nm).
      Anyway, I was already thinking about a build so I'm not bothering about the apparently ghost low compression issue.
      So, I sourced an engine (B5234T) from a 850 T5 which should arrive this week or next one and the plan is to rebuild this engine while my stock one is still in the car so I can keep the car running during all (or almost) the building time.
      At this moment I still have doubts about a few things that I should do and/or use.
      So, let's go into the build itself:
      Engine: B5234T (from a 850 T5)
      Goal: 450 to 500 crank hp (so, 400 to 450 whp).
      Turbo: Probably a GTX3076R or at the most a GTX3582R. I think the GTX3076R could give me around 470/480 crank hp without maxing it out and without loosing so much low/medium rpm spool as I would certainly loose with the 3582R. I think the 3076R would max out around 510-530hp. I don't want a maxed out turbo because efficiency will be bad as hell and in hotter days that will tend to result in much higher knock events.
      Still deciding which turbo and also the exhaust housing. With the 3076R, Should I go with the .63 T3 or the .82 T3 (both internally wastegated)? Wouldn't the .63 T3 be enough for 450-500hp and still provides great low/medium rpm spool?
      Another question, I know GTX3071R clears the back engine mount. I think the 3076R would also clear it, right (the compressor housing has the same dimensions I guess)?

Another thing that pulls me back from the 3582R is the need to get a custom exhaust mani because it would not clear engine mount and/or maybe the firewall. Right?
      Rods: I'll probably use BSR forged rods (and arp bolts of course) -> http://en.bsr.se/product/con_rod_volvo_m63113950001
      Rod bearings: I think I'll stick with new OEM rod bearings. Good idea? From what I've searched, stock bearings are usually ok even with this kind of power. There a few situations of problems with aftermarket bearings.
      Pistons: This is one of my main doubts. Wisecos are well known but there are tons of situations of cracked and totally broken wiseco pistons. lookforjoe V70 is one of the examples. All the 5 pistons were cracked and one was actually broken.
      For my goal, I guess new stock OEM pistons would be enough. Right? If not, what kind of solutions do I have? There are a few piston manufactors that do custom pistons but I don't know if it worth it.
      Cams: Both intake and exhaust N/A cams (which I already have)
      Valve lifters: The stock hydraulic ones (they have been proven to be good up to 7000-7400rpm). I will not rev more than 7000rpm.
      Cylinders will be checked and very likely bored (corresponding oversize bore and pistons will be chosen then).
      Head will likely be ported and polished
      I'll keep the R exhaust manifold
      Inlet manifold: There is people that achieved 500hp with the stock inlet manifold (and with no porting job I assume). Will the stock inlet mani be enough?
      MAF: BMW MAF (which I already have it running) should be enough for it.
      Injectors: 730cc @ 4 bar bosch injectors should also be enough
      I'll keep do88 intercooler and reverse piping
      Flywheel, clutch and gearbox:
      The S70R has the M59 gearbox with viscous couple diff and also the dual mass flywheel (DMF). The M59 diff was perfectly enough for 400hp. Never had any traction problems in 3rd or higher gears. Of course in 1st and 2nd gear we need to have a bit of reduced boost to have better grip but I believe we would need it even with a quaife diff because on those lower gears the wheel multiplied torque is just huge. Furthermore, I don't want the car to run 1/4 mile all day and being crazy with 1/4 mile numbers.
      So, my only concerns are the clutch/pressure plate and DMF. I know DMFs are more prone to problems than solid flywheels (SMF). I also know/guess DMF should be replaced from time to time (usually when clutch is also replaced).
      I'm thinking about running the R disc with the 707 sachs pressure plate as it has been proven to be a great combo for high outputs. This would be the cheapest solution and the more user friendly clutch combo regarding driveability. Of course the flywheel (DMF or SMF) will have to be repined. There's no fitting issue about using the 707 pressure plate and the M59 right?
      My main doubts are lying on the flywheel:
      Should I get a SMF as they are less prone to fail or just stick with the DMF? In case the answer is to stick with the DMF, should I keep the current DMF or replace it by a new one?

Wouldn't I get gearbox rattle with the SMF? Wouldn't the SMF lead to add vibration and problems on the gearbox?
      So, just to summarize and help you answering and helping me, the main doubts are:
      1. Pistons (OEM?)
      2. Rod bearings (OEM?)
      3. Turbo: Engine mount clearance with the 3076R ; exhaust housing size (.63 vs .82)
      4. Stock inlet mani (Enough?)
      5. Flywheel: DMF vs SMF (pros and cons, rattles, gearbox issues)? ; 707pp + M59 no fitting problem right?
      I'm sorry for this extremelly long post but I think this is the status and the current main doubts. More will come for sure.
      I hope that all of you can give me valuable inputs about these matters, especially the more experienced users out there.

Thank you all!
    • 2000 Volvo V70XC Not Running
      By 79genesis
      I purchased a 2000 Volvo V70 XC off eBay that was listed as not running with a crank no start condition. This was not the case, after getting the vehicle home and attempting to crank it over with a fresh battery I found the engine was locked up. After borrowing a bore scope it looks like the tops of the pistons are corroded due to coolant infiltration from a blown head gasket. Anyhow the vehicle is overall in pretty good cosmetic shape and would make a nice ride with a bit of TLC. I don't have the time and resources to replace the engine with a good used unit. I'm asking $700 for the car and open to reasonable offers. If you have any questions drop me a PM. Car is located in Milton, Delaware. 
      Click link below for more photos of car.
      http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/79genesis/library/2000%20Volvo%20XC70

• S70 T5 DIY Xenon HID Projector headlight conversion
      By DutchCanadian
      I was thinking about headlights and how I wanted something different and by that I do not mean aftermarket Blurple HID installations that scream pull me over or look at me!!! So while I was reading up on the subject it seams a lot of folks compare aftermarket HID setups with high-end vehicle setups like this one from a 5 series BMW.
      So I went to the Bone yard and scavenged some nicer looking S70 headlight assemblies, and pulled some BMW ballasts, and also the reflector/ projector assemblies.
      So it would seem the two are marginally compatible.

So I ended up with 4 Ballasts, grand total was $60 CA
      And here it is almost finished.

And the light test.

And this is with the high beams on.

Once I get everything wired up properly and installed in the car I will ad a Picture of the car :)
      Just wanted to thank everyone on hear again for there inspiration, this modification is not as difficult as one might think, but suffice it to say if I didn't go to the wrecking yard and drop $60 and disassemble everything to check fitment I would have never attempted this, I combine my ADHD and boredom and sometimes I come up a winner.