Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Meade

Installing An Obd Ii Scanner For Iphone

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

So I wanted to get your opinion on something I am thinking about do to my car, and any ideas that would make this more feasible.

I am looking into installing a wireless or Bluetooth OBD II scan tool that would give my live data to my phone/tablet/computer. I am seeing a couple apparent issues to an install already because of where the OBD II port is located. First of all, without taking a section out of the bottom of the piece that lifts from the center console, I don't see a way I could install this as a permanent option that wouldn't change any of the features of the interior of the car. I have been looking into what options I have and I wanted to get your opinion on them and see what might be my best bet. I could get a mini OBD II scanner like this one, being so small, it might work fine and sit flush, or I could get something like this, and wire a wireless OBD II scanner elsewhere in the car.

I guess I am just wondering if any of you have done this before and how you did it. Will the smaller OBD II scanners sit flush or will it extrude a bit rendering either the cup holder or the center console useless or a pain to use? Is there a better way to do this?

I would really like to hear your opinions!

Thanks so much,

Max

Any thing plugged into the OBDII port is going to interfere with closing the armrest. I use an OT-2 to scan data on my iPhone through Logworks. Be aware that only 4 channels of data will display, ISO-9141 is too slow to support more channels reliably, regardless of what any documentation may claim.

To prevent the plug raising the armrest, I moved the OBDII port inside the armrest. You can slot the removable retaining screw cover. Ignore the arrow, this pic was taken to illustrate the VAG-COM cable integrated with the OBDII wiring.

IMG_3598_zpsddf20407.jpg

Why would you want to integrate an OBDII scanner into your car? Are you really pulling codes that often?

if you're doing it for 'data-logging' you do know that OBDII only does 2 samples a second, and that's when you're logging only 3 parameters.

No I don't throw codes that often but being able to clear them on the spot is nice...

I really want it because of the live performance information some of the apps you can get offer.

My friend recently hooked one up to his car and I was impressed on the information you could get.

The little tiny bluetooth obd scanners you can buy on ebay for cheap should be able to fit with the armrest closed. I'll double check on my car tomorrow but I think it'll work. I'm not sure they work with iphones though. Something about apple purposely crippling the bluetooth capability to only use devices they approve of.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

This is really a unique device and now blackberry will also launch obd2 software for the Blackberry BB10 devices. Also on another note, I just read today on the Ian Hawkins’s forum that Torque will be finally ported on the BB10 OS. That means that will we enjoy one the best OBD2 app around on our z10, Q10 and BB playbook. These OBD2 scanners provide best performance gauges and average fuel economy.

If this isn't spam, fill out your sig :arob:

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Remove the center console.. The port isn't screwed in place, there is a detent and a slot. 10 minute job - ok, a little more on a 850 perhaps...

It is possible use Bluetooth with the Iphone but only if jailbreak your iphone like i have.

I am using a mini Bluetooth ELM327 OB2 dongle from ebay super cheap ($6) and dashcommand (dropped their prices alot more affordable).

The key enabler is the software which you have have to purchase after jailbreaking your iphone. Its called RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 for ios7 the cost is 5 Euros, you can only find the software via Cydia which is installed after you have jail broken your phone.

Click on the Cydia program>Manage>Sources>Edit and then add http://apt.modmyi.com

Then search and install either RoqyBT4 or RoqyBT7 ( ios7)

After that step you need to search in Cydia for RoqyOBD4 or RoqyOBD7 and install depending again on IOS.

Reboot/respring after install.

In your Dashcommand or similar OBD2 logging program go to settings and select>ELM and configure OB2 port as below:

For details on Jailbreaking iphones/ipads search google for "RedSn0w"

OBD server:

roqyOBD creates a tcp server with those parameters:

Address: 127.0.0.1

port: 35000

Configure your OBD favorite application to connect to this server

FYI, there are no iPhone apps that can receive OBDII data via bluetooth. You will need an ELM327 wifi dongle. I bought mine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOIM2CC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I use it with the Dash Command app (purchased when the app was on sale for 50% off -- it's overpriced at the full price IMO). I'm pretty sure there are other iPhone apps that will work, too. Regardless, you'll need the ELM wifi dongle to get any readings on your iPhone.

If you have an android device you can use an ELM327 bluetooth dongle.

Starting from iPhone 4s, iphone supports bluetooth low energy. Which means that they can receive OBDII data via bluetooth without jailbreak.

Yeah I think my best bet is going to be going with the extender and wiring the OBD II somewhere else so I can use the iPhone capable one. If the extender can fit without extruding past the hole for the OBD II, then I think I could rewire it in a way that would look really good and wouldn't show unless you were looking for it.

I guess my other option would be to move the OBD II port, I don't think that would be all that hard, I just don't know how to get to the actual OBD II port screws so I can take it out and rewire it somewhere else.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I have been using a bluetooth low energy adapter found at ebay with my ipod, it is pure white and mini size, it should fit. you should see it if Search lelink on ebay. Hope it helps.

• Similar Content

• By adamdrives
      Hey guys, having a frustrating problem with my s70. After installing new outer tie rods, ball joints, iPd bars and pressing new bushings into '93 arms, I had the car aligned, only to have it pull to the left. I took it back and found that one of the control arms had shifted rearward on the bushings. I fixed the bushing issue so they are secure, and had it re-aligned. Guess what? Still pulls left. I took it back again, stupidly offering to pay to have it aligned again just to get it dealt with. Still pulls left! I decided to take it to another shop after asking to see the alignment sheet and figuring out they weren't touching the rear as it "was not adjustable". As we all know, it is. Lesson learned; don't take fwd Volvos to Rockland Tire in Monsey. The second shop aligned it properly, starting with the rear delta links. Still pulls left. Must be a fluke, took it back: still pulls.
      At this point I don't even want to drive the car, this little issue is driving me nuts. It's a slight pull on the highway, enough that it isn't very noticeable unless you take your hands off the wheel, but in stop and go traffic the wheel wants to "roll" to the left as you come to a stop. That, and I know it's there so I can't be satisfied :P
      One thing I noticed when adjusting the arms was that the front DS subframe bolt seems to be pushed back slightly. This would in theory cant the whole front of the car to the left, though I would think with alignment that wouldn't matter, or it would show up in alignment. Could this be the source of my issue? Now that I write about it and review the pictures it seems obvious that it could be, but I'd like to get some input before I spend any more time dealing with this issue. 
      EDIT: it occurs to me that if the subframe shifted back on the left, the bolt would be relatively moved forward. So maybe this isn't relevant. 

• By someolddude
      Hey there.
      Got an offer from a friend that I couldn't refuse. Trade in that they weren't going to keep and send to the auto auction. 900USD is what I paid for it.
      1997 T-5 wagon,automatic trans,133k,no rust. Just a crack on the passenger side rear bumper corner. Two lights were on the dashboard. Replaced the third light bulb and added coolant to the plastic reservoir took care of the two dash lights. I'll have and ask plenty of questions,this is my first Volvo.
      Of course I can't leave anything stock for long,so I'll have some questions on that also. LOL!!

• By wackou
      I've been around this forum and good old S40Concepts for many years. Decided to share my project with you guys.
      It's 1998 S40 T4.
      This car has mileage about 400 000+ km's.
      I don't know exact mileage, because in Estonia car sellers used to fake these numbers. I bought it with 170k km's.
      I've driven about 160k km's with it as it was a daily driven car. Last 5 years it has been in my friends' garages where I've worked on it.
      So, it's pretty good shape considering the age and rough winters it has lived through.

Dynoed 430 hp / 550 nm this summer.
      It has been good to me. Never broken down, I've driven over 8000 km's this year. I have to thank my tuner for this. I guess hardware has been good, too.
      Managed to win at Estonian 1 mile race in A class (upto 2 litre turbo and 3,5 litres NA cars): 275 km/h / 171 mph.
      My rev limiter is at 280 km/h (7000rpm).
      7500 rpm should take me to 300 km/h :) Unfortunately, for that I have to travel to Germany.

So, here goes the mods list:
      - B4194T engine
      - B4194T2 cylinder head with stock camshafts
      - Megasquirt 3 ECU
      - Holset HX35 #12 divided @2,2 bar
      - Autoverdi forged conrods
      - Autotech modified pistons
      - Stiffer valve springs
      - Aluminum valve retainers
      - Tial MVS 38mm external v-band wastegate (15psi spring)
      - KKD Motorsports custom divided exhaust manifold
      - Custom 3" exhaust with 1 middle resonator and rear muffler - pretty quiet :)
      - Stock T4 wastespark coils, BCR8ES spark plugs
      - China 600x300x63 intercooler and custom piping - no-boost/high-boost difference is just few degrees 
      - Bosch 1000cc injectors @3bar fuel pressure
      - Adjustable Mallory FPR
      - Walbro 255lph intank pump + 2x Walbro external pumps
      - 2L Fuel surge tank
      - 8mm fuel return line
      - BC Racing coilovers
      - SuperPro poly bushings
      - Ultra Racing 19mm anti-roll bar
      - Custom front strut bar
      - Polyurethan lower engine mounts
      - M56 gearbox
      - Quaife LSD
      - Sachs 707 pressure plate
      - 850R clutch disc
      - 850 flywheel
      - Battery relocated to the trunk
      - 20mm turbo oil return line
      - AEM large air filter
      - Mercedes van custom water radiator
      - Subaru WRX front seats
      - Alcantara covered dashboard
      EGTs under 800C @25C outside temps at fullboost run.
      Intake temp about 30C @25C outside temp at fullboost. Temp is decreasing when going faster at fullboost. Pretty good cooler.
      I am sure I've forgotten many details. It's been a long time...

First dyno after the build, mapping to 2 bar
      275 kmh run on 1 mile:
      Little burnout at the start of the same run:
      I will post more photos another day. 
      Btw, managed to outrun these nice cars this year:
      Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG    5.5K (550hj)
      Porsche 911 996 Turbo 3.6T (420hj)
      Audi R8 5.2 (520hj)
      Bmw M5 4.9 (400hj)
      Chevrolet Corvette 6.2 (455hj)
      Audi S7    4.0T (420hj)
      Ford Mustang 4.6K (390+hj)
      Bmw M5 5.0 (507hj)
      Porsche Cayman S
      Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 (520hj)
      Audi S4    2.7T (416hj)
      Porsche Panamera 4.8T (500hj)
      Bmw M3    4.0 (420hj)
      Mercedes-Benz E55 5.4K (500hj)
      Audi S5    3.0K (400hj)
      MB CL63 AMG    6.3 (444hj)
      Audi RS6 4.2T (450hj)
      http://www.onemile.ee/?lang=en&page=results&year=2016&acm=1

Dyno reads in wheel kw and nm.
    • By grasshopperR
      Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!
      Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice
    • By Leo850T5
      OBX aluminum strut brace Type V2 model for a P80 850, V70, S70, C70. Used in good condition, one of the mounting points is slightly bent but the material is soft enough that it doesn't really matter. Asking for $75 shipped.