Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAR

P0014 Code

SAR    0

2000 V70R 145K. Just got it a few weeks ago. The previous owner rebuilt the engine about 5K ago. I have a recurring P0014 code. Went to dealer, they said it was the CVVT solenoid (I had my doubts, but...I let them replace it) after about 50 miles, the 0014 code came back. They said that the hub was OK, but I don't know if they checked the timing. The car is sluggish with the code set, but seems better if I reset it (or when they did it at the dealership).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can look at? Possibly Cam Position Sensor?

Thanks in advance.

SAR    0

Ok. Dealer says timing is correct. After they replaced the cvvt solenoid, now they are saying that it's the hub even though they said the hub was ok when they replaced the solenoid.

They also said they tested the cam position sensor and it tested ok.

Any opinions on what I can look at next (other than a $1000 hub replacement) would be greatly appreciated.

Volvo5.0    536

Ok. Dealer says timing is correct. After they replaced the cvvt solenoid, now they are saying that it's the hub even though they said the hub was ok when they replaced the solenoid.

They also said they tested the cam position sensor and it tested ok.

Any opinions on what I can look at next (other than a $1000 hub replacement) would be greatly appreciated.

Ask them what they checked. Did they just pull the front cover to see if the marks all line up, or did they lock the cams at the rear, remove the t-belt, and check that the hubs were installed properly?

Keaton85    428

Trusting the dealer? That's scary! Take it to someone that knows these vehicles.

Also you should have replaced the solenoid yourself, I bet they charged you a ton.

• Downvote 1

SAR    0

This dealer has been fair in my other dealings with them, just a little frustrated with them at the moment.

I have done the solenoid on my 99 s70, and they did not overcharge me on this vehicle. Just wanted to get the car back on the road so I let them do it. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

Ihatespeedbumps    1,084

Ask them what they checked. Did they just pull the front cover to see if the marks all line up, or did they lock the cams at the rear, remove the t-belt, and check that the hubs were installed properly?

This.

Trusting the dealer? That's scary! Take it to someone that knows these vehicles.

Also you should have replaced the solenoid yourself, I bet they charged you a ton.

How does this post help anyone? Believe it or not many dealers have very good experienced technicians.

SAR    0

The tech that worked on my car wasn't there so I couldn't ask about how they checked the timing. However, I installed a used CPS, reset the ecu, and the car was great on Saturday and Sunday. But I saw a pending 0014 code when I checked today and the car is running worse again (hard start, worse mpg, etc...)

Looking for an indy volvo mechanic here in bucks county, PA to get another opinion.

Ideas still welcome!

• Similar Content

• By MrEd
      Searched Forum, lots on SPARK plugs, but nothing (I could find) on VVT plugs.

After replacing exhaust VVT, I noticed the gear/hub was turning very rough, throughout its small range of rotation ... an awful, metal-to-metal type of feel. Didn't seem right at all.

Knew I hadn't overtorqued the camshaft screw (88 ft-lb), but figured I'd better remove the hub. Took out the plug, and, lo-and-behold, the binding was gone. Put the plug back in, and ... binding again! The plug is actually bottoming out on the screw head. This can't be by design. Does this binding go away when the cavity is pressurized? Was there a spacer that fell out when I removed the old hub? It's the same part number I took out, Volvo OEM 9497786: IPD and eEuro say it fits, FCP says it does not.

Anyone else experienced this?
    • By Che'_Moderator
      Special thanks to Josh for all the work he put in on this:

http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/cvvt-hub-removal-and-set-up.html