Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chilled man

Teach Me About Turbo Rebuilding

This is one of the few things I have yet to try or even attempt .

Between this and engine building are two things I have never had a need to learn , do or even bother with.

I was going to drop my two turbos off at the local shop to have them rebuilt but I am assuming if they can do it I can do it.

What I have is .

13t - Gen 1

16t - P2

What I would like to do is make them both 18t or something else if there is a bettter option for my 01XC

So links ? Info ? What all is entailed to getting what I want ?

Rebuilding is straight forward, just order a Mitsubishi rebuild kit. And to make it 18T, that just requires the larger compressor housing on the 16t i believe. Not sure about the 13t, iirc that cant be made into an 18t but I could be wrong.

I'm in the same boat. Never rebuilt an engine or turbo.

I have a K24 that has lots of shaft play. Was looking at the rebuild kits, but there seem to be multiple options that are all pictured differently. I was also unsure about balancing it after. I don't belive there is anywhere local that has the capability.

Rebuilding is straight forward, just order a Mitsubishi rebuild kit. And to make it 18T, that just requires the larger compressor housing on the 16t i believe. Not sure about the 13t, iirc that cant be made into an 18t but I could be wrong.

I am assuming you just need to have the area milled out to fit the 18t wheel and parts ?

Where do you order a Mits Rebuild kit ?

Here you go... I have it in PDF also if you want I can email it to you

http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/mitsubishi-td04-15g_turbo_rebuild.html

Wow that is perfect ! If i wanted to go from 13t to 18t am I able to do that all minus the balancing or is there any milling required ?

I am sensing from the little I have read here there shouldnt be ?

To go up in size (13 to 16/18/18) you'll need to machine the compressor cover to fit the larger compressor wheel but you can use the same center assembly and turbine wheel.

I sent my 19T out to a company in Arizona to balance it, but my dad did all the rebuilding. And that was the first time he's touched a turbo really

I watched a YouTube video and rebuilt a 13g into a 19T with fresh internals, put like 30k on it and sold it to a friend, it was still perfect when I removed it, and is now on his car. And I used an eBay kit and did not rebalance, because I like to live on the wild side. Really though it's not rocket appliances, ill post the video later if I find it.

All you have to do Justin is get the cartridge machined to fit the 18t wheel assuming you have th e 18t cold side housing.

This PDF fully explains the rebuild process.

Fitting different compressor wheels and mating housings means that the rotating assembly has to be professionally rebalanced. I used GPopShop for that last time.

tools:

IMG_4782.jpg

remove all coking from these areas:

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

All you have to do Justin is get the cartridge machined to fit the 18t wheel assuming you have th e 18t cold side housing.

Whats the difference between 18t cold side and 16t cold side ?

I believe the seat are is larger for the 18t than the 16t. Which would mean you would have to grind down the CHRA to fit the impeller.

For the housing, the inside is a larger diameter to fit the larger impeller as well. If you were to put the 16t housing over the 18t, the impeller would would contact the housing ans would not be able to move.

The waste gate might be different as well.