Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chilled man

Teach Me About Turbo Rebuilding

hmmmmm I need a 18t to replicate what I want to do .... might be just easier to drop them off and let them do it.

Yeah rebuilding and converting are two totally different monsters. Doing a 19t conversion is a lot easier. They make kits for it and is basically a rebuild.

Mike and I also used G-Pop Shop to balance his 19T after we rebuilt it. If you just rebuild it and don't change anything and line up everything the same way it came apart, then balancing shouldn't be needed, but any changes and it needs to be balanced. We had ours balanced because I filed burrs off the wheels from both wheels scraping the housing.

I should clarify, I rebuilt the turbo by watching the video, and simply changed the compressor wheel and cover when it came time to reinstall them. The only thing that was tough was the circlip for the compressor cover, and I had to dremel the CHRA to allow the bigger comp wheel to fit, as otherwise it would rub when the nut was torqued. It's really easy, not just upgrading but doing the rebuild also... Just take your time and double check everything. And use lots of assembly lube

Yeah rebuilding and converting are two totally different monsters. Doing a 19t conversion is a lot easier. They make kits for it and is basically a rebuild.

Linki to those kits ?

I all want to do is make the two I have now and the one In the car all 18ts

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/turbocompressorhousingandwheelvolvos70850td0419t.aspx

Thats one of the more popular ones, Email them to make sure they have the 56mm exducer wheel still. They dont have it listed so it might be out of stock. With the one in the pic you till have to machine the cartridge to fit the 58mm wheel

There are a couple other places too, Ill have to look for the others when I get home

Dude I just realized you said 18T not 19T

The 18T all youll need is the wheel and housing machined or to pick up a cold side housing.

The 18T and The 16T are the same size aside from the inducer of the 18t is 1.6mm larger than the 16T thats why you would have to get the housing trimmed down.

You can get a pre balanced 18T wheel for $55 and probably get the housing cut for about $20

Anyone got photos of these to see what the differences is ?

( I am a visual person .... thanks yo )

16T wheel specs

kJ1akVx.png

18T Wheel Specs

HE6kolp.png

Is that what you were looking for?

More of photos of each one ...

May not help but here is a...

20G / 18T / 15G

FEE5579D-22F0-4A42-B7B6-BC32C8030381-155

So the 18t and 15g look like they fit into the same turbo housing ?

Yeah, if you look at the specs above the base of the wheel is the same size. its the width of the top of the wheel that is larger. (the blade design is different also)

only by 1.6mm hence why you have to machine the cold side housing.

IO6p7hA.jpg

The arrowed part is the part that needs to be trimmed down to fit the 18T wheel

The cartridge will fit perfectly with no mods when modding from a 13T , 15T, 16T

If your going from a 15G you will need to replace the backing plate to the super back one

You can get a pre balanced 18T wheel for $55 and probably get the housing cut for about $20

Which wheel do you recommend, and who locally can machine the housing. I'm thinking of going to a 18T or 19T

Rod

It's all on what your preference is. You can save yourself some cash and time if you go pre balanced wheel. I know some of those turbo shops up there charge like $400 for a balancing.

The way you guys are self tuning, I don't think it would really matter. You guys have made a 19T very predictable with no spikes. Same with the 18t.

I guess in the end (with self tuning of course) it's all about your budget.

Talk to alan (tech) and Phil (inkedphil) about a good local place. They are master techs that live in orlando.

Down here I use south Florida machine, or homestead welding.