Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

850_olaf_nz

Delete Your Nivomat Rear End - 855

Here's a lengthy post about Nivomat Replacement - 855-T5. Yes, you know, that self-contained self-levelling super special Sachs suspension system that some 855's were blessed with (like 7 series and 9 series) by the factory. The Nivomat, like most things, is a compromise; it helped keep the level on the wagons when laden.

After discussing this quandry (what to do about my bloody Nivomats) many years ago on other people’s threads, we finally sorted the suspension on my 1997 850-T5 in January 2014. No sense in rushing these things, eh! I thought I’d contribute a write-up for those in my position. I'd found myself with lots of conjecture, and few well-developed threads. Mostly people seem to discuss, make a decision, and then we'd hear nothing.

To recap:
I acquired my very stock 855-T5 back in 2006. It sported 144k kms, was New Zealand new, had most of a full dealership service history. I soon discovered I’d been ‘blessed’ with Nivomat. And mine were approaching shagged out. Yes, as in the English vernacular, not a trip back into the 1970s.

This was bought into stark relief when I replaced the front end suspension. After a full wheel alignment where the suspension tech noted it was difficult to align at the front, that the bushes were approaching 'too much play', I'd ordered an FCP kit including tie rod ends, lower control arms, end links...

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-control-arms-front-suspension-kit-850-s70-v70-850cakit-my

and a front end suspension strut kit, including Sachs OEM parts - Sachs Super Touring struts, strut mounts, strut bearings, dust gaiters, and all hardware...

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-front-suspension-kit-comprehensive-sachs-struts-oem-mounts-oem-vfsk2-s

My good mate Bob and I installed the lot, in the sunshine on the driveway. My old coil spring compressors were dusted off, overall it went together very well. This really put the front end back together - it aligned easily, firmed up the front, turned into corners with much more control.

However, the rear just felt dead - and clunky. It was clearly necessary to sort out the Rear Suspension. Two choices:
1. Nivomat - new nivos, and perhaps new springs?
2. Delete nivomat, go with standard shocks and springs.

It’s interesting that most of the information around t’interweb provides for suspension options “not nivomat” or “non-nivomat” only - when you’re shopping for springs or shocks. Accordingly it can be a challenge to sort out exactly what’s needed when one decides to eliminate Nivomat.

I trawled many many internet threads. Nivomats for my particular application - Nivomat P/N 9140238
- appear to be (as at mid-2013) NLA (no longer available). I didn’t fancy finding used - similarly flogged-out replacements. As the Nivomat runs a softer spring, I needed to identify the hardware to replace the springs and associated hardware to go with the new conventional shocks.

So the main considerations were:
- what shock for my application?
- what spring? (I needed a non-nivomat spring)
- what other hardware as part of the Nivomat deletion?

Shocks
I decided to go with Sachs Super Touring rear shocks, in order to match the damping with the front end - remember I’d replaced the front end just a few months before. I'd thought of Bilsteins, Konis... I still wasn't sure about how long to keep this car, so in the end matching the front end seemed like the most sensible approach.

Springs
I needed to figure out the springs - I had no info to determine what my existing front springs were. We'd checked when replacing the front shocks - only a couple of colour bands, no part numbers. I had the feeling they were a factory sport spring. I hadn’t been able to find any info on the factory shocks I removed either - the part numbers yielded no hits on google.
I eventually decided to go with a set of H&R Sport Springs - p/n 29955 (not the 29955-2 which is the Nivomat version) - again I wanted the spring rates to work together.

Parts List
Concentrating on the parts list - in addition to the springs - the kit list I used to make the exit from Nivomat to standard:
2 x Bump Stop (Febi Bilstein 3516327)
2 x Shock Mount (Meyle 9461524)
2 x Spring Anchorage Lower (Volvo 3546435)
2 x Shock Mount collet (Volvo 915631) - holds the bump stop upside down in position
2 x Sachs OEM 105-828. Note these come *with* nuts so I didn’t need the Volvo 272284 rear shock mounting kit.

I followed this how-to - found it very useful. http://www.happywrenching.com/volvo/850/how-to-replace-volvo-850-rear-shocks-and-springs.html

Install.
We did the rear first. It lifted the rear 15mm (I think it was a bit sagged to start with), made it lovely and firm. On driving it briefly before starting on the fronts, I was quickly convinced that a full spring set was the thing - the front spring rates were all wrong with the H&R’s in the rear. A mis-match between the front and rear had it pitching over bumps. Sorting out the front (a simple removal of the strut assembly, spring compressors, disassembly, spring change, then reverse) took us about 90 minutes or so.

Upper Shock Mount
Turns out the Nivomat shock mount is HD and thicker than the standard (taller). I elected to change it as it was about 179k kms and and 16.5 years old. It was in pretty good condition still, to be fair.

Spring Perch

I'd recommend replacing this - the old ones seemed flakey when we removed them.

Did it work?
Swapping out the front springs settled things down - now with spring rates and damping balanced front to rear, I had a new car to get used to.

Height?
Afterwards, the front was down by 15mm, the rear up by 15mm. Check out the images to see the differences.

Before:

12115956945_fdd5845d78_b.jpg

After:

12116393084_189044a430_b.jpg

So how is it?
More than six months on, I really like the way the car drives. I’ve never found myself overloaded in the rear, so losing the self-levelling from the deletion of Nivomats has not been an issue at all. Having better damping, and the rear running with a working suspension has seen crashing over bumps consigned to an unpleasant memory.

It’s certainly firm; the springs are something like 20% stiffer than stock? I feel the rising-rate under compression, and like the way they work.

In summary

• if you’re in a quandary about deleting Nivomat in your old 855, don’t fret! Your Nivomat setup is probably well past it’s use by date.
  • If you’re wondering about H&R Sport Springs for the 855 - firmer, a little lower, much more poise in the corners
  • If you’re wondering about Sachs + H&R - I think they work pretty well.

It’s very nice cruising on the motorway, pretty good on suburban roads, and more confidence inspiring in terms of control. Cornering is more authoritative. My wife hasn’t complained, and this car is now her daily driver. It’s much more planted on the road - no wheel hop, tyres never lose contact with the road. Result.

I’m now interested in exploring either new anti roll bar (sway bar) bushings, or even the IPD sway bars and bushes.

Oh, and bonus? Tyre wear has been significantly reduced!

Hope you found this helpful. Greetings from downunder.

'Olaf'

For those of us who are visual thinkers, I dug out this image of what the rear-end parts haul looked like - along with the H&R spring set - prior to installation.

12008226254_cd6d7647b6_b.jpg

many thanks Ashvolvo, yeah I'm very pleased with them. I'm considering them for my BMW as well (they're the OEM for my car as well), instead of going Koni.

cheers

• Similar Content

• By 78-shaved245
      Ok so I have shaved the door handles and cut springs to lower more 245s than I can remember.  Last week I got a bit more modern and picked up a 01 s60 2.4 turbo at auction for dirt cheap.   The only thing I don't love about this car is the ride height (it's like four miles off the ground).  I want to go low, at least two inches.  Can I get away with cutting these springs?
    • By grasshopperR
      Ok, so I have decided to attempt a full suspension overhaul and upgrade on my Volvo S70 T5M. (Koni oranges, H&R springs, IPD Roll Bars, IPD subframe inserts, New tie rods, control arms, roll bar end-links, strut mounts/spring seats, trailing arm links, trailing arm bushings, CV axles) and I have found a corresponding superior performance type part for each application. The two things I found strange were that almost no performance parts were found for parts 1 and 3 in the diagram except for $600 solid delta links from MPRE (i think) in Sweden with VAT to calculate in after that. I am looking for some guidance, do any polyurethane or similar in performance bushings exist for 1 in the diagram, and does anyone else make a solid delta link (or similar)?

• By woah4
      Hey everyone,
      I have a question, I have a 2001 V70 XC and a 2005 V70 awd, and would like to swap the suspension between the two cars before I scrap the XC, I know that the XC is Viscous Coupling and the V70 is haldex, but can I still swap all the other components of the suspension to give the V70 the additional ride height? I know the front end should be fairly easy... struts, control arms, axles (interchangeable?) and maybe tie rod ends / sway bar links? But I am wondering what differences if any there are in the rear that would prevent me from swapping to the XC style in the back, but with the V70 rear subframe and diff....
      cheers,
      Billy
    • By sventastic
      Hi everyone,
      I'm usually over on Swedespeed, but Volvospeed seems to know more into the performance upgrades and I'm looking for some guidance between buying IPD's standard or track spec sway bars. I know there's already threads on this but everyone's situation seems to be a bit different and I'm wondering if I could get some first-hand advice.
      SHORT VERSION: Have a 1998 S70 T5 that I want to autoX and be able to drive in inclement weather/snow/whatever. Leaning towards track spec, but thinking standard will be safer for all conditions, and they will be easier and cheaper to acquire. Also wondering if stiffer sway bars have an affect on front wheel traction on acceleration
      UPDATED QUESTION since the safety aspect seems to not be an issue: How much of a difference does the 25mm rear bar make compared to the 22mm? If I buy the standard bars, at autoX will I be cursing and wishing I had bought the track spec?? They will cost about $100 more than standard, is it worth it?
      LONG VERSION: So, I have a 1998 S70 T5 that is effectively at Stage 0 with a lot of recent maintenance, and more to come in the next few weeks. I'd like to start having some fun with the car and take it to the last 2 or 3 local autocross events of 2016, and more in 2017 of course:)  I have IPD lowering springs that have yet to be installed, and it seems like unless I want a ton of tire squeal and understeer, sway bars should be upgraded as well. 
      I'm leaning towards the track spec bars since their slight oversteer tendency seems like it would help rotate the car well at autoX, however, it rains quite a bit where I'm from since we don't quite get below freezing, and I'd also like to be able to drive the car to go skiing and I'm worried it could be too tail-happy in those circumstances. Is the standard kit worth the trade-off of a bit more understeer for an increased safety factor? Or is the track spec not a big deal when it comes to handling in the rain and snow? 
      I've also read about stiffer sway bars reducing front wheel traction while accelerating, can anyone attest to that?
      There's also a difference in logistics between purchasing the two since I'm from Vancouver, BC: there's a set of standard sways locally for $500CAD, which would be very easy to pick up, and the track spec I'd have to order in, which will be $515CAD plus the potential for taxes and duties at the border (since I will ship to Washington and bring into Canadia). This is a factor since I'm currently away for school, and will only be back in the Vancouver area for about 4-5 days in which time I will have to install springs, tires, hydraulic engine mounts, and sways. 
      Any comments are appreciated, cheers.
      Update Edit: I ended up buying just the 25mm rear track spec bar, and couldn't be happier! Paired with IPD springs the car's handling has completely transformed
    • By Markas
      Hi all,
      I have been renovating the underneath of my tank this year and still seem to be suffering a clunk. Here is what as been replaced this year :-
      Subframe bushings, A frame supports, Heavy duty links, standard springs and shocks. The engine mounts were done about 8 years ago surely they don't need doing again?
      I have had the top mounts checked and they were in order. What I have notice though when the garage did my shock/spring replacements that the small bump stop that sit on top of the support mount there is some spacing between the stop and the body work. Therefore is there a possibility I am having some movement here of the whole suspension system.
      If its not that, could it be my original anti-roll bar is maybe dying after over 22 years old? I was planning on replacing it this year with the HD IPD one on this year.
      Thanks, mark