Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaredR1

'97 850R Estate Restoration (And Hopefully Eventual M66D Swap)

Yeah, it's not the shifter that has to be modded - it's the cable bracket on the trans, since the cable orientation is reversed compared to M56, and the cable sleeve and bushing attachments are different.

Cool....I think I can deal with that. Now that I know I don't need to bring anything else over with the trans I'm gonna go take advantage of the cold weather to try to figure out the shipping arrangements :)

Update...not good news. We had the 850R parked about 10' off the street in our yard and a front end loader somehow ran into the left rear door it while clearing our street. It looks like the B and C pillars have somehow escaped damage, but the door is about as crumpled as it gets and the latch tore out of the quarter panel. The damage looks fairly isolated to the door and quarter panel, though. The left rear wheel is still where it is supposed to be, too, and I'm optimistic that the front and right side are ok given that it was only soft snow in those directions. I must say I do feel even safer getting in these P80 cars after this experience. The fact that a front end loader can push on them and seemingly do no structural damage is impressive.

I'll get some more pictures up as soon as we do some more shoveling, but what do you guys make of this? The guy from the public works department seems to think he's going to send it to the junkyard, but since the only really serious issue at this point appears to be the damage to the quarter panel, we're getting ready to mount a big fight. Any advice for forcing the town to pay up for fixing it would be much appreciated.

IMG_6712_zpseaefa1f3.jpg

Damn, I'm so sorry to see this.

I hate to be the bear of bad news, but be prepared for it to be a total loss. A car that's nearly 20 years old with no known mileage except a dead odometer at 214k miles is likely to get totaled for even the most minor of damages.

Post some more pice up when you get it dug out. Again, really sad to see this update.

Isn't it possible to extract the mileage from the cluster somehow?

I remember reading this is possible for the obd1 equipped cars, but surely this must be possible for obd2 equipped cars aswell.

I think it's stored electronically in the cluster, and the little wheel that tends to break on these only drives the mechanical readout.

edit:

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/broken-odometer-any-way-read-actual-mileage-34536/

Post 6 has the information to do this I believe.

the latch tore out of the quarter panel.

The guy from the public works department seems to think he's going to send it to the junkyard, but since the only really serious issue at this point appears to be the damage to the quarter panel, we're getting ready to mount a big fight.

That really sucks. Fixing the pillar damage will be the worst thing. Hopefully the "B" pillar isn't too distorted.

Definitely fight them. Be prepared to take whatever they will give for the car & pay the salvage fee to keep it.

Yes, I say totaled... with probably only considering a door, minor quarter repairs and no a/b pillar damage, but somehow I think it will be more extensive than that.

I seem to remember reading of someone paying for an independent appraisal (re: collector's car?). I wonder if that may give you more leverage.

I went back and forth for several months, with Progressive, after being t-boned (other driver was at fault). In my experience with them, I was routinely told that the insurance company assesses a value on the vehicle based on sever factors: age, mileage, cosmetic condition, mechanical condition, and the elusive "fair market value". Even with overwhelming proof of an immaculate vehicle, and with a market value that was more than... triple their assessment, I was advised to take the loss on the vehicle, and accept their offer.

So, yeah, good luck!

Things aren't looking so good after digging out, although, given that the front end of the car is under about 12' of snow, we only dug out what we needed to to tie a tarp over the broken window/door. The C pillar still looks fine aside from the quarter panel issue, but after getting in the car and digging out some of the snow and busted plastic, it looks like the aft side of the B pillar has some damage (the front side of it still looks ok). I also noticed that the front door is also displaced about 1/2" upwards, so I'm very worried that the bottom of the the A pillar might be a bit bent up as well but as you can see we didn't dig far enough to tell. The driver's seat got pushed over towards the passenger side a bit, but that appears to have been caused by the rear door panel getting pushed into it rather than any damage to the floor or pillar. Hard to really get a decent assessment of the damage without getting the doors and snow off, and that could be a while between more two more snowstorms on the 7-day and my long weekend ending today, but it definitely looks much worse after digging out.

What makes this a bit unusual compared to most accidents is that the town (or rather their contractor...last time when we had town employees with town owned equipment doing this they actually knew where the street is) came into our yard and damaged our property in our yard. Since 1) the car was not only not moving but on private property and 2) the front end loader on our street was clearly not street legal and didn't even have a license plate, I doubt that any auto insurance companies will be involved at all. It seems to me that this is a property damage case, and given that the head of the DPW came over and seemed to feel very badly about this whole thing, I think there's a decent chance we'll get a good settlement (they also heavily damaged a tree in our yard that's just as special as the R and we're planning on trying to get damages for that too). I think we'll probably get a good enough settlement to buy another 850R in a decent color combo if this one turns out to be done, which unfortunately seems to be looking more likely at this point than it did this morning.

Anyway, here are some more pictures. We've never had any body damage to any of our Volvos before, so any thoughts/insights/advice/recommendations from those more experienced would be very much appreciated. If there's anything important that I've missed with these pictures I can definitely take more...

IMG_6727_zps1929e1cd.jpg

IMG_6728_zps51a78e7d.jpg

IMG_6729_zps2d4950c4.jpg

The quarter panel got sucked in quite a bit before the door latch tore out.

IMG_6730_zpsb819a0a5.jpg

IMG_6731_zpsd9b658f5.jpg

IMG_6732_zps907f7634.jpg

Hard to see in this picture, but the driver's door is displaced about 1/4"-1/2" upwards. Didn't really capture that in any of the pictures as I didn't notice it until the camera was inside and we were covering things up with the tarp. That bent up thing in the snow to the right is the rub strip from the door...

IMG_6733_zps104ee2b2.jpg

IMG_6735_zps04df4d3f.jpg

IMG_6736_zps5fce1db9.jpg

IMG_6740_zpse2818fe6.jpg

Haven't compared against the '99 V70, but I'm pretty sure that aft part of the B pillar right below the bottom of the seatbelt pretensioner isn't supposed to be bent in that direction.

IMG_6742_zpsa4e6f4af.jpg

Sorry to see this.

In all likelihood, it'll be cheaper/easier to buy another wagon.

Some doofus backed into my '98 S70 T5M project car parked here, barely dented the front fender - I mean barely. His insurance said they were totaling the car (sight unseen). Once they did a run on comparable cars for value they decided to allow for repairs ($1200). They said to total would still be in the $4k area (shocking, actually).

Anyhow, your car is 1000 times worse! Make sure you get specific on the R stuff / rarity / whatnot and you might get $2500!

Bummer. That car almost had a second life...

I'm starting to think that getting another one may be the best way to go, too, especially after thinking about the geometry that's going on with the driver's door. It still looks like it fits perfectly along the bottom from inside and looks only very slightly pushed up from the outside, but for that to be the case with the top edge of the door sticking up as far above where it's supposed to be as it is, the whole car would have to be bent up in the middle. I'm suspecting that when the aft edge of the B pillar bent forward, it pulled the floor pan up with it (the roof still appears to be straight), and I'm not sure fixing that is a viable proposition.

Hopefully I get this settled with the town pretty quickly, and, since it was 100% on our property, we're seriously considering getting our homeowner's insurance involved as well. There's another red/tan 850R estate for sale right now that I'd like to try to get which definitely puts some pressure on the situation since, counting mine, it's only the 5th red/tan 850R I've seen for sale in America since I started really closely following the market about 18 months ago. Whatever the insurance situation, I definitely won't let them get my car as part of the settlement. We're thinking about moving the suspension and sound system over to my dad's '99 V70, or if I don't find another 850R/T-5R that I like in a reasonable amount of time, I could also get a regular 850 and just swap all the R parts over to it, although I'd have to look into that some more and see if that's a project I really want to get into.

Really sucks to walk out your front door and see such a rare car sitting there ruined because the town cut the budget to the point where we have no public services anymore, but I guess if this was going to happen at least it happened before I really got very far off the ground with the restoration and build. Learn from my mistakes, Volvo lovers: If you see a front end loader clearing snow in your street, there's a good chance they don't have the slightest idea where your street is. Put a sign out on your car-shaped snowbank saying that there is a car in said car shaped snowbank, be it well into in your yard or in the street. Don't be like me and get lulled into a false sense of security just because you car is parked 100% in your yard.

Nooooo!

Just from a quick look over, I'd guess about $6500 to repair from a reputable shop. I don't know what the insurance laws are where you live, but fight it out with your insurance company until you get what you deserve on that car. The insurance adjusters won't do a thorough estimate to repair when they see an older car like this, they'll just call the insurance company and tell them to cut you a check. At this point, your going to have to fight it out.

On my '99 T5M, 159K miles that got rear ended / frame damage, the first offer I got from my insurance company was $3200 total value. After rejecting there offer and fighting with them for over 3 months, I finally more then double the original offer. Unfortunately the extent of the damage was over 10K to repair so I wrote it off.