Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boostedvet

New Member About To Buy A Volvo

Hello everyone, I am Dange and i live out in southern arizona, I joined up because im looking to possibly buy a volvo wagon soon and im going to look around for some info and advice, Its mainly going to be a daily driver about all i know right now is i want the turbo 5cyl. and reasonably low mileage. but thats about all i know what to look for.

Im new to volvos but not to modding cars i used to have a turbocharged mazda miata and I currently own a supercharged corvette that's rather heavily modified to the point i decided i need a daily. so im not planning on going all out performance on the volvo so ill probably stop at intake/exhaust/tune to make it a bit more fun I just want something to get around town and be able throw all my stuff in load up a few friends and the dog and go snowboarding or camping etc in any weather in comfort

Sounds like you're looking for a 98 V70 T5 (possibly manual). They're by far the most popular platform on this forum and rather easy to maintain and modify.

Volvo's are alot different than hondas mazdas etc...Used they can require alot more maintenance usually as they still run and drive good with worn parts..Volvo's are alot more limited on aftermarket support but are a blast to drive and more of a niche community ..Good fun DD and with struts springs and sway bars it will handle nice and get 20+ mpg. Need more power? near factory turbo options to reliably get you to 300hp if you have an auto trans this is about all the power they will handle reliably....

Sounds good. I really appriciated it! And 300 hp should be more than enough and about perfect for a daily so I don't even see myself upgrading the turbo unless I got the 18t (I think I read thats what the upgrade was) for cheap and could update it to the european v70r levels

Simply Volvo managed to make 272 whp with several bolt ons, a set of NA cams and a tune (and stock 15G)

Was that the dude running E85 as well...and was that a DynoJet or a Mustang...

Source:

His Cam Timing info:

Mustang Dyno, DIY tuning, NA cams with adjusted timing.

A year after he made his original thread, he said

I'm on 93 octane, running about 80% duty cycle on my 724cc injectors and pulling around 1200kg/hr of air mass. AFR is around 11.2-11.5 right now as I try to diagnose this knock.

Simply Volvo managed to make 272 whp with several bolt ons, a set of NA cams and a tune (and stock 15G)

TBH, I think the dyno was not calibrated correctly or something was a miss. It was a mustang dyno.

This was on a different turbo. 50 trim. I went through 3 turbos, 15g, full built 19T, t04e 50 trim.

TBH, I think the dyno was not calibrated correctly or something was a miss. It was a mustang dyno.

This was on a different turbo. 50 trim. I went through 3 turbos, 15g, full built 19T, t04e 50 trim.

The video in the original post of the build thread, the first link I provided, has a youtube video of your car, with the title including the terms 15G and 272. And a few posts later you said,

Next up is either a 19T billet, or 50 trim and a motor build hopefully!

what turbo is that? 19t?

15G.

Welcome to the forum...I am also new to this forum and have been involved in modding cars for almost 25 years now. Hope you find a nice car to start to work on. And these are not your typical Japanese cars. They aren't boring and more than likely you will be a rare bird in southern az.

thanks for all the info, yeah i knew crank hp, that still sounds about perfect for what i want out of it. plenty of power to pass in the mountains with ease, and just enough to troll your average boy racer with a wagon if you feel like it.

But i have a couple questions,

is there certain years to avoid? timbo specifically suggested a 98 v70 t5, those seem semi hard to find locally, is there other good options? . im seeing alot of 2001-2002 xc awd models.but is it better or worse than the 97-00 v70 t5?

how many miles is too much? i know 100k is still a baby on a well maintained volvo engine, but what should my cutoff be.

is there an easy way to spot which engine is in a v70,? Im starting to assume the t5 badge is what im looking for only

and if you guys were to buy another 97-02 v70 what options would you absolutely make sure it had?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4781151271.html. 850 turbo and v70 t5 are basically the same platforms and are hpt (glt is lpt) things to look for/common issues i recommend pulling codes inspect heater core,radiator and coolant bottle for leaks oil leaking from oil cap or dip stick tube as the pcv systems plug up and need replacement http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4984/114174-pcv-breather-system-kit. Timing belt replacement sticker transmission fluid condition color and smell tuneup stuff and try to buy one with most of the electronic stuff working properly also i would strongly suggest pulling a carfax before purchasing and used volvo as odometer gears break and people usually dont fix them right away if ever and alot of time looking at carfax you can see milage listings per year. I went and looked at a wagon with 177k and carfax reported an accident and last milage of 278k as far as option the higher end turbo's/t5 are usually pretty much loaded. 2000 and up seem to have more electronic and transmission issues. Hope this helps out Erick