Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tightmopedman9

Beüst Tuning Hits The Dyno!

In preparation for a customer’s upcoming 20T swap we performed a dyno for a baseline for comparison. The dyno was performed on a Dyno-Jet at Dyno-Pro in Arvada CO. Ambient temperature in the shop was 72ºF, ambient pressure was 25inHG(12.4PSI).

The customer’s car is a mostly stock 96 850, but has a 15G with a 7cm turbine housing and a full 3” exhaust without a catalytic converter or muffler. He also has a 3" j-pipe intake and 50/50 water/methanol injection through a single 250cc nozzle.

He has been running an ARD green tune for the past year, so we decided to start the dyno session off with 4 pulls on the Green tune, 2 with water injection and 2 without.

Following the ARD pulls, we swapped in a Beüst ECU and fine tuned a road tune we had worked on 2 weeks prior. 7 additional pulls were performed, the final 3 were with water injection.

All runs were performed back to back with approximately 5 minutes in between runs for a cool down.

Matt%20Langstreth%202.jpg?dl=0

You can see the best 3 runs of the day overlaid here. As you can see the ARD tune produced more peak HP, 5WHP more, but Beüst was able to produce 30FT/lbs more peak torque. The real difference comes when looking at the power curves. The Beüst tune produced an additional 85ft/lbs and 57WHP than the ARD tune at 3,500 RPM. With that said, the Beüst tune did have quicker power curve fall off, but I believe this could have been remedied with additional time on the dyno.

Interestingly enough we were not able to gain any additional power from the use of water injection, hence the reason a curve without water injection was chosen.

Following this Dyno the Beüst project car (my car) was put on the dyno just for an idea on power output.

20G%20XTR%20AFR%20Dyno.jpg?dl=0

This is at approximately 21psi. I will post full details in my build thread.

You can find all of the 15G dyno sheets in Dyno-Jet's .drf file format here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9osras5ecsoeklu/AADdUvZUYMQsXMMn9M52IQU3a?dl=0
All 11 runs are included in the above .zip.

Thank you.

Mods are in my sig, for more details you can check out my build thread.

On mobile at work can't see SIG's. I will check out the thread and hopefully get one of your tunes after my rn swap is complete.

Sorry, I have a 20G with an extended tip billet wheel, paired with a TD06H turbine wheel in a 10cm^2 housing.

I was able to increase ignition timing by 2.25º as compared to without methanol injection. However, this change in timing didn't yield any net power increase. However, this may have been due to heatsoak more then anything else.

Really glad to see you got some dyno results. Very interesting about the methanol injection. Do you think that the stock 310cc injectors were a limit here or just ran out of air on the 15G?

Look forward to getting my 20T tune dialed in this Spring :)

I assume you guys will be back to the dyno once this customer has done the turbo swap?

damn, maybe this was close to the HP and TQ numbers I was making when I was running a 18 psi tune on my car. Really impressive for a 15G

What AFR is your tune running compared to ARD? I am guessing it is around 12; the same as what you are running on your car. You won't see ARD, IpD, etc. running AFRs leaner than low 11s for longevity and liability issues.

A custom tune will always yield higher numbers, if the tuner knows what they are doing.

What AFR is your tune running compared to ARD? I am guessing it is around 12; the same as what you are running on your car. You won't see ARD, IpD, etc. running AFRs leaner than low 11s for longevity and liability issues.

Admittedly, the AFRS were less then perfect. The AFRs were flatlined at 10.3AFR from 2,500RPM to 3,500RPM at which point they were stable at ~11.5AFR. The ARD tune exhibited a flat lined 10.3AFR above 4,500RPM to redline.

The AFR target on customer cars is 11.7AFR.

For every successive run fuel was pulled from the mid-load areas, but the AFRs stay excessively rich. Since the customer is installing green injectors and a new turbo we decided that the AFR issues would be investigated more after the new setup goes in.

A custom tune will always yield higher numbers, if the tuner knows what they are doing.

This is exactly the point I am trying to establish with Beüst tuning. For M4.4, other tuners simply lack the ability for data logging to offer a truly customized tune.

I'm assuming you are Beust tuning?

How much difference in terms of PSI were between the tunes?

I'm assuming you are Beust tuning?

How much difference in terms of PSI were between the tunes?

That is correct.

Orange is Beüst, Blue is ARD

Boost.jpg?dl=0

I like the name haha. I'm surprised by the amount of power loss in the upper rpm vs ARD tune. Especially running a better AFR etc. Also surprised by such low boost levels in the high RPM. Nice work non the less. Looking forward to 20T numbers.

when do you suspect you will have the 20t numbers to share?

great work man!