Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phunktified

98 Not Startin Thread! Replaced Everything?

so I got my code reader setup all ready to go, put the battery back in and the car started again ..... pulling battery seems to help so maybe I was clearing a code by doing so ...

back to waiting for it to happen again...

Have you thought about replacing the coil? You said no spark, but unless I missed it reading this thread quickly, I haven't seen that in your discussion. The coil has a power module on it's backing plate, it can be intermittent, which makes it hard to trouble shoot. If you haven't, through in a new coil and see what happens. Good Luck.

Have you thought about replacing the coil?

Thanks, I can swap that as well, not a bad idea to get a new one at this stage of the game, I believe mine is original...

I have a new theory however, I forget exactly why but I had swapped batteries between the s70 and the v70 at some point over last few months .. the battery in the 98-V now is slightly undersized -- it came in my first parts V70R and I had brought it into rotation the last time I had a battery die ... when that particular battery was in the 99 the dash lights would fluctuate at times which is not happening now with the bigger battery ... I didnt notice anything odd using the battery in my v70 either, and it holds a great charge, but I'm thinking especially now in low temps there must be a difference in voltage .... I didnt think to question it earlier since I thought 99's/ME7 would be more finicky about battery voltage and such from what Ive read ... but it's definitely worth a shot, so I'll be sticking the battery from parts R #2 in there tomorrow, just gotta pull it back out of the lebaron ... lol

no codes, starting to think its my fuel pump, pressure at the rail is weak and I got in the back to take a better listen and it sounds like a dying giraffe

IMG_20150213_142302_zps75f34a1a.jpg

so one wire running down into the nest... white wire in the sleeve has been chewed on, barely connected..... dying giraffe sound was actually my old AMP in the spare tire area

in other news my toes are frozen .. its only like 10 degrees out

Glad you finally found the problem, because it has been my understanding for years that Giraffe's don't make a sound. If I was a mouse I think I'd find a better place to make a nest. ;)

Glad you finally found the problem, because it has been my understanding for years that Giraffe's don't make a sound. If I was a mouse I think I'd find a better place to make a nest. ;)

I wish that were the problem, wire was to the sending unit and still connected albeit barely.

Not getting power through the pump relay unless I jump it .. tried two relays so I dont think thats it, still doesnt start with the relay jumped and plenty of pressure, not getting spark or pulse still..

so back to guessing ... ignition switch ? .. sigh

just got it started 3 times in a row !

I had the pump relay jumped at first ,then reinstalled the relay ... seems fiddling with/re-connecting the connector under the snorkel did it .. [big question mark] I got the idea after finding this thread on matthews (and continuing my search for a nonexistant grey/main relay?)... odd as it looks llike it mainly goes to the SAS pump which is no longer there ...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50639 (pic is at bottom of thread, unable to repost image due to extension)

aaaaaaand not starting today... when I really need it of course ... will try messing with that connector again later, buncha shit to do today b4 the storm ...

Your car doesn't have the supression relay (Gray relay) under the shroud. That is only on 93/94 and some very early 95 cars

Your car doesn't have the supression relay (Gray relay) under the shroud. That is only on 93/94 and some very early 95 cars

thanks I was pretty sure it didnt .. there is a main engine system relay I was going to swap today if it hadnt started. .. I imagine it could be the ignition switch also ..

car seems to only want to start when I have no particular place to go ;)

Doubt it's the ignition switch or main relay and more inclined to think as suggested the Cam sensor reloated (on the side of the head). Just to verify, you sure the car is a 98 and not a 99 which would give it a chipped key with antenna ring and immobilizer system. Not saying you don't know your car but had to ask.

Doubt it's the ignition switch or main relay and more inclined to think as suggested the Cam sensor reloated (on the side of the head). Just to verify, you sure the car is a 98 and not a 99 which would give it a chipped key with antenna ring and immobilizer system. Not saying you don't know your car but had to ask.

definitely a 98. I swapped a known good cam sensor way back on page 1, there are no codes coming up, and I determined the fuel pump relay is not triggered either when this occurs and the key is in position II.