Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phunktified

98 Not Startin Thread! Replaced Everything?

I noted the swapped parts on page 1 however sometimes folks think the flywheel senson on the bell housing is the cam sensor. Pump relay is only triggered for a split second in pos.II it will not fully activate until cranking posIII. Next time it won't start check for power(positive) to the green wires on the injector rail. If no power there check for positive feed to the green wire on the MAF and IAC motor.

One other thought is swapping out the MAF or unplugging it when you have the no start. I'm also trying to remember if it has "clear flood" mode meaning if you put the throttle to the floor the TPS knocks out inj and spark pulse while cranking. If you have an extra TPS try that as well (but I doubt it)

Thank you for the suggestions! I hope to figure out what is causing this before the temps rise and it doesnt happen again until next winter (maybe)

I had already tried disconnecting the MAF... I have not visited the TPS. (and the Cam AND Crank sensors were replaced with known good)

There are a list of error codes that are stored in volatile RAM in the ECU. These error codes are set instantaneously and will give you a very good idea of what is wrong when the car won't start. Diagnosing no start on M4.3/M4.4 is difficult because run time is required to set most DTCs. The only way I know how to access these codes is via flashing a custom .bin to the ECU and logging the parameters via TunerPro. You can look at such errors as cam sensor, crank sensor, ECT etc.

PM if this is something you want to try.

thanks for the TPS idea, I am going to swap it out as soon as I can ... I went to start the car today and it started cranking over and over, I pushed in the throttle pedal a bit and it immediately came to life ...

My [current] guess is that's it .. maybe I can stop guessing soon!

quick update,

Tried to start it day after last post - no go

crank crank crank ... gave a lil throttle and no dice

havent had time to swap anything else but I had a feeling it would start today being 41 degrees, and it did. Drove it around a bit / used it to trailer the snowblower to the other house today... temps dropping again tomorrow so I Imagine I'll have more opportunities to troubleshoot ...

Your car doesn't have the supression relay (Gray relay) under the shroud. That is only on 93/94 and some very early 95 cars

All these cars up to '99 have it.

You must have a master injection relay somewhere on your car.

Since sas was allready removed,maybe that relay was also removed or bridged somewhere else in the electrical system.Usually...it's stamped Made In Hungary on it.It came from the factory like that.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-850-V70-S70-C70-fuel-injector-injection-relay-3545803-3-545-803-OEM-/161584559999?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item259f30b77f&_uhb=1

Here is something that you might want to read:

http://www.___.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25633

I've posted this before, but I had a problem with corrosion between the engine and trans, would start some days, other days it wouldnt. Problem was that the starter was backfeeding because of the corrosion and messing with the crank signal while cranking over. If it didn't want to start, I could pop start it and it would fire right up. but use the starter, nope. And no matter what I did trying to ground the starter another way, it would not start unless i pop started it, or I got lucky and it actually fired up with the starter. I did a clutch and when I pulled out the transmission it was corroded all the way around the bell housing. I sanded it all off, reinstalled, and its been 3 years of no problems.

thanks Randy,

I will consider that if this should ever occur when its not below freezing out ..unfortunately cant popstart an auto to test that theory.. I am leaning towards possibility of frozen intercooler syndrome, but I havent done any additional troubleshooting, temps are rising and the car has been starting...

Pretty sure now that replacing the TPS fixed this, car has been firing right up, much faster than it has in a loooong time...

All these cars up to '99 have it.

You must have a master injection relay somewhere on your car.

Since sas was allready removed,maybe that relay was also removed or bridged somewhere else in the electrical system.Usually...it's stamped Made In Hungary on it.It came from the factory like that.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-850-V70-S70-C70-fuel-injector-injection-relay-3545803-3-545-803-OEM-/161584559999?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item259f30b77f&_uhb=1

Here is something that you might want to read:

http://www.___.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25633

​OK