Power Steering Pump Chattering -- Air In Fluid? Pump Bad?

Serge

In 2011 my PS pump was leaking so I replaced it with a factory reman unit, no issues.

Mid 2014 I had my steering rack replaced (was making a grinding sound at times), now have an FEQ unit that the Volvo indy mechanic put in.

Late 2014 my PS pump started to chatter and groan (without turning the wheel, simply sitting there). Diagnosed by using a mechanic's stethoscope. Opening the reservoir makes the sound louder and you can hear it coming from inside. Do not see any foaming in the fluid, so I believe that to be okay.

My question is: Should I flush the fluid first to see if that will fix things or is this likely the pump going bad (which is strange, since it's 4 years old). I'm thinking the FEQ rack may have messed up the pump somehow.

UPDATE: It was the alternator.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a chattering noise I had. I was sure it was the PS pump. Used a stethoscope and was certain it was the pump. Opened the lid and it got louder. So I replaced the pump. Noise was still there. I must have done something wrong, got another pump. Noise was still there. Finally replaced the Alt, and noise is gone.

Take the belt off and spin everything by hand. See if you can't replicate the noise, or feel for a hard spot.

This is the noise I had.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/surfireknight/media/Jons%20854/VID_20130220_124834_364_zps98581e10.mp4.html

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a chattering noise I had. I was sure it was the PS pump. Used a stethoscope and was certain it was the pump. Opened the lid and it got louder. So I replaced the pump. Noise was still there. I must have done something wrong, got another pump. Noise was still there. Finally replaced the Alt, and noise is gone.

Take the belt off and spin everything by hand. See if you can't replicate the noise, or feel for a hard spot.

This is the noise I had.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/surfireknight/media/Jons%20854/VID_20130220_124834_364_zps98581e10.mp4.html

My sound is quite similar, actually. The sound started not too long after I did a PCV job and I did lose an injector gasket somewhere in the bowels of the engine bay. Perhaps the gasket fell into the alternator and is making that noise? I'll pull the belt off spin each piece around by hand.

I replaced my alternator about 2 years ago with a BOSCH.

Sorry but...if you had a loose hose shouldn't you lose fluid ? He said nothing about fluid loss

I suppose some air could manage to get in without fluid loss if it's a tiny opening. The lack of fluid loss does not make me believe there is a leak, though.

I had a chattering on my old NA, it was my AC compressor. Guess how I figured it out :wacko:

replaced the PS pump twice and the alternator twice :wacko:

Was it chattering all the time, not just when the AC clutch was engaged?

I'll take a video of mine today.

I had a similar noise, replaced the tensioner first, still there but not as bad, threw on a spare used PS pump I had, didn't change but it wasn't loud enough to bother me. A few weeks later my alternator craps out and I swap that out with a low mileage used one from a wrecked car, noise is gone. Never sounded like it was coming from the alternator even with the stethoscope, some kind of auxillary drive voodoo.

Took some videos of the sound while running and a video after I removed the sepr belt to manually turn the pulleys.

The sound in question, it is sometimes louder:

All pulleys seemed to turn smoothly without any problems. Here is a video when I turn the PS pump pully in a short arc:

Does that seem like the P/S pump is bad? I'm guessing bearing failure.

I should do that next.

Just replaced the pump with a relatively new one and still have the same damn sound. The new pump has the same clunk when turning the pully, so I assume that is normal. The old pump did have some more bearing noise when turning the pully (almost like a light grinding), so I do believe it was worth changing.

Found this guide for removing air from the system.

This whole issue is starting to get relatively annoying.

I'm starting to suspect this phantom noise is the alternator, as others have eluded to.

Archived