I'm running this https://www.amazon.com/AEM-21-2059BF-DryFlow-Air-Filter/dp/B004XH68PM

If I remember my math correctly it flows like 930cfm, @22psi on my 2.5 I think it requires something like 830cfm. Realistically you want to run the largest filter you can fit. You don't want your filter causing any restriction. 

5 hours ago, Tightmopedman9 said:

When I had a 20G I used that same Jaguar box and fit the largest filter I could in there, and it was still quite a small filter. I wouldn't recommend it...

The filter I use is the AEM 21-3059DK which is 6.5" in diameter and 9" long. I think that filter is almost the same size as the Jag canister itself. Granted I don't have a pre-turbo pressure sensor, but I wouldn't want to use any smaller of an air filter.

3.5 or 4" MAF with this?  Currently going with 3.5 based on what's been recommended.  

1300kg would be awesome, I want to say that's abput where Steve is at with his.  

Edited by apeacock

Assuming he's on a 4" MAF as that part number pulls a 4" inlet filter, however they make that exact same filter with a 3.5" inlet. I'm currently running a 540i MAF (3.5") with no plans or need to upgrade, so this is probably the direction I will go.

6 hours ago, apeacock said:

3.5 or 4" MAF with this?  Currently going with 3.5 based on what's been recommended.  

1300kg would be awesome, I want to say that's abput where Steve is at with his.  

4" MAF, I'm at 1700kg/hr which is 4.19V. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tightmopedman9 said:

with what turbo is that ?  

and headers? or r mani? 

12 hours ago, dougy said:

with what turbo is that ?  

and headers? or r mani? 

Dougy, why don't you just read my sig? 

EFR7064, R manifold

lolol...ohk 

Image result for crossed eyed blind symbol

you should have went bigger.

On 9/22/2016 at 1:05 PM, Tightmopedman9 said:

That's a massive amount of air holy cow. Have you had it on a dyno?

5 hours ago, lookforjoe said:

Thanks! 

Got the exhaust bend made today. Only took about an hour and a half for the guy to make it. I like how It came out. 3" mandrel bend to a 2.5" ball at the bottom. Longer 3" run the the previous EST supplied piece. 
IxyoXbgh.jpg
Went to start it and it sounded the exact same. I guess I didn't have the manifold all the way down on the car. As a result the head is leaking like crazy. Tried to give it all another go an it only made a small difference. I think I'll need t free the turbo from the head and then try and torque it all down once more. I hopefully don't need to pull the whole turbo off but if it comes down to it, I can probably get it loose in 45 mins to an hour. The gasket would need to be flatter no?
QTs5KZ1h.jpg

zk0kwB2h.jpg

RWp6PEAh.jpg

lEe6tTrh.jpg

How did you torque the manifold nuts down?

10 minutes ago, andyb5 said:

How did you torque the manifold nuts down?

My sexy arms. 

No spec just pretty tight with a 10" wrench. I think looking back at these pictures I can see the 3 layers are not flat against each other. 

I think the turbo and the exhaust are pulling on it(which they should a bit) and so what feels tight isn't tight against the head. I hopefully have not ruined my gasket. However, if it isn't sealed then how could I have right? 

Torque spec is 18 ft lbs for the manifold studs/nuts.

As I said via text, torque from the center out with the turbo removed to make sure the manifold is good and tight/flat to the head

52 minutes ago, andyb5 said:

Torque spec is 18 ft lbs for the manifold studs/nuts.

As I said via text, torque from the center out with the turbo removed to make sure the manifold is good and tight/flat to the head

Working on doing just that! Seem to be able to take apart and maneuver this turbo better then a stock one. I think the up in size and change in position helps accessibility a bit. Going to try and leave the turbo in place so I don't need to drain the coolant. The studs are not fixed in the manifold so I maybe able to fish it out and around the exhaust studs. Though they may still pose a problem. 

Did you ck the flatness of the head and ex manifold mating surfaces before assembly?  Assuming so, but thought I'd ask.. 

Hope you figure it out..

2 hours ago, gdog said:

Did you ck the flatness of the head and ex manifold mating surfaces before assembly?  Assuming so, but thought I'd ask.. 

Hope you figure it out..

Got it part way apart today. More work to follow.  

The seal of both was great before hand. When I get it all apart I will triple check that.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By andyb5
      Here's the story behind my new-to-me 2000 V70 R. Its gonna be a long post, and picture heavy too!
      This thread will serve as a continuation of sorts of my 1999 V70 R build, which can be read here:

The conclusion to that thread will come later this summer, as I will be pulling all the modifications of my 99 R, and transferring them to the 00 R.  Now, onto the details of my new Venetian Red 00 R!
      My friend sent me the for sale ad on Facebook:

Here's a couple of the photos from the listing:

After spending a few weeks negotiating with the seller, I bought a one way flight to Denver, packed some tools in my bag (I did, however, forgot to pack underwear ) and went to visit some friends before picking up a car and driving it 1900 miles across the country back to New York!!!
      I landed in Denver Friday evening (May 12) in the early evening.  While there, I got to check out the murals of the Denver Airport, and see all the other bits that are the basis for a long list of conspiracy theories.

Here's how it sat when I picked it up from the seller at a shopping center a short walk from my friends apartment.

Shortly after taking delivery of my R, I went on a hike in up Golden with my friends.  The views were stunning to say the least.

After lots of fun touring around the Denver area on Saturday, I packed my stuff into the car and started driving back to NY on Sunday morning (May 14th) with plans to stop at my friend's place in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  Here are some photos from the drive Sunday.  Nebraska was wide open, flat, and very easy to drive through:

Drove through miles of turbines in Iowa (despite the picture being of a singular turbine).  There's a Don Quixote joke here somewhere....

Cruising towards Cedar Falls, Iowa and got to watch the sun set

Sunday's drive was about 800 miles, which took about 12 hours, and the drive home was off to a great, relatively easy start.
      Here's how my car sat outside my buddy's place in Iowa on Monday morning

When I left Iowa Monday morning, my destination was headed to Anthony's (@apeacock) house near Buffalo, NY.  Monday held about 850 miles of driving, which was about 13 hours of driving.
      Stopped for gas in PA.  I had a hard time with card reader on the pumps though....

Made it to Anthony's around 10pm, took him for a quick test drive, and then face-planted into the extremely comfortable bed in his guest room.
      Monday morning before I left his house, Anthony took this photo of our wagons together

Made good time on my way back to Troy on Tuesday morning - at this point, 300 miles seemed like a short drive to me   I got to enjoy some really nice views in the mountains in western NY:

Here's how the odometer when I made it home:

The entire trip was 1960 miles, and I managed an average of 26.8 mpg at an average speed of 70 mph.  All of this was calculated from the trip computer. 
      And here's how my two wagons sat when I got the office on Tuesday at noon:

Earlier tonight I got it registered in NY, so now the build can begin.  Stay tuned, this should be a fun project and I'm very excited to get working on it  
    • By cryptophilosopher
      98 99 00 01 02 03 04 VOLVO S70 S40 S80 V40 KEYLESS ENTRY KEY FOB OEM

https://www.amazon.com/VOLVO-S70-S40-KEYLESS-ENTRY/dp/B01M28NQXR/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    • By cruzvolvo
      T-5R Wagon (1995), black, automatic transmission, mostly original with a few moderate suspension upgrades. Approximately 175k, with careful and regular service. This was a California car for most of its life, and is (from best estimates) one of fewer than 100 still on the road in the U.S. It comes with: IPD 3" cat-back exhaust; 4 steelies with snow tires mounted; trailer hitch; original parts no longer installed; and your choice of body panels and parts from a 1995 black 850 NA wagon (parts car). I am a motivated seller and will take $3,000, for the next two weeks. Contact me and I'll answer all questions, to the best of my knowledge, and send any additional pictures that you may want. The car can be seen in Delaware, near I-95. 

• By WarmCanadianWinters
      SO
      Just made an account, hello all
      Tryna do some work on my '98 V70R, the timing belt is from 2006 I think, rear brakes are sitting at 10% (So sayeth the local mechanic).
      Gonna pick up the Power Stop Z23 Performance D/S Rotor and pad kit. Couldn't find any note in the service records of the rear calipers ever being replace, (and the first guy who had this car put nearly 18 grand into it) does it need to be done? 
      Also is this timing belt a problem? From what I've read, if it breaks, its a bad time :(

Thanks all in advance. Pretty green to mechanic-ing
      Oh shitters, I posted it twice. Off to a bad start
    • By WarmCanadianWinters
      SO
      Just made an account, hello all
      Tryna do some work on my '98 V70R, the timing belt is from 2006 I think, rear brakes are sitting at 10% (So sayeth the local mechanic).
      Gonna pick up the Power Stop Z23 Performance D/S Rotor and pad kit. Couldn't find any note in the service records of the rear calipers ever being replace, (and the first guy who had this car put nearly 18 grand into it) does it need to be done? 
      Also is this timing belt a problem? From what I've read, if it breaks, its a bad time :(

Thanks all in advance. Pretty green to mechanic-ing