Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wesdunns70t5m

Timing belt job advice

So today at a gas station I notice coolant flowing on the ground from under my car.  Upon a quick inspection I believe it's the water pump (coming from above front passenger cv boot). Luckily I was able to make it home without any problems. 

I just hit 300k miles so I was planning on doing a complete timing belt job with vivas Kevlar belt kit.

i was just wondering what's the best guide people have used, and does anyone have any advice or tips before I dive in as this will be my first time tackling this.  Thanks in advance everyone!

If rather just get it from viva because it comes as a kit with everything so there's no way I could get the wrong belt or something.

this might be a stupid question, but are the timing belt and serpentine belt the same belt on these cars, or are they two completely different belts?

wizzard_al    122

Serpentine belt is what drives the alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor. That is what is being done on #3 and #4 of the article ointed to above. 

...told you it was a stupid question haha.  Sorry about that though, I wasn't gonna read/watch either of them until I was actually ready to do the job.  

survolvo    2,861

Its always good to look over all the information before hand to make sure you have all extra parts and tools that may be needed.

• Upvote 3

• Similar Content

• By arvint123
      Hey guys! My first post here, and just got in my whole ABM headlight assembly...and everything works fine except I cant figure out how to get the light bar to work. 
      These are the bulb's i ordered for the light bar:
      https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4826...ht-bulb-12v-3w
      and these incase i wanted to use amber
      https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7068...ht-bulb-12v-5w
      (neither worked btw)
      Are they the wrong bulbs? They slide in fine from what it seemed and i even tried flipping them around, no luck. I feel like im missing something super simple. (I tried different light settings on my car too..as in with just the side lights on/high beams on/regular setting). 

Here is the main link to the lights im using:
      https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6956...80-c70-s70-v70

If anyone has any experience with these lights who can help me out itll be appreciated!!
    • By Injabs
      Hello there members , its been a while since i was here ,, my previous posts ware about pressure problems in cooling system . that all got taken care of when my girlfriend boiled the car up and blow'd my head gasket completaly . so now im going to tear my engine apart and change all the things it needs to be changed. 

so i have ordered some stuff and no im looking at turbo Intake Hose but im not quit sure that this http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_1160_1161_1167&products_id=8377 will fit my stock turbo as i was not able to find information on T16 turbo specifications to make sure whats the inlet diameter . as i Read on that products description they do tell that the stock turbo inlet is 60mm and they have included the mounting accessories  to get it fit from 70 to 60mm , than i hawe this qustion is it even worth changing this pipe to bigger one if inlet still stays the same stock 60mm ? i cna bet this soudns stupid but im not a pro on tuning cars actually im doing all this for the first time will see how all this will turn out .. im creating videos as well might make a post of my progress if i wount get to embarrassed .
      any tips or suggestions are appreciated regarding everything i need to know if im taking off my head , changing gasket  changig all cooling system pipes intake pipes and all the other stuff that coems with it 
      thanks on any advice or tips regarding all my plans . cheers volvo fans
    • By The_Yamsman
      Hello, I am preparing to start an engine swap on my 1998 v70 manual. The donor car is a 18998 v70 T5 awd auto and i was wondering if the ECU from the donor car would work in the manual car. Also any pointers/must do's in the actual swap?
    • By MadeInJapan
      If you need one (these all go bad), you probably know by now that the system in the '99 and 2000 S/V 70's are Denso...but Bosch makes the front 02 Sensor too. But this one is the original Denso (made in Japan... like my name here... lol) I thought I needed this and bought it on eBay (dealer wants $350 for one- FCP wants close to $200 for the same part). I saw the positive ratings and the numbers on the box so I know I was good with this one. This is coming by Friday but I'm going to have to send it back at my expense as well as 20% restocking fee.....sort of not looking good for me. But this is where we can both profit. Here is what I have coming to me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/142260189339?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's still a great deal off of eBay but I'll do it better!! Rather than paying to send it back to the seller ($15 loss) as well as pay for shipping (more loss), I'll send it to you at my cost and you pay $70 for it. I would rather sell it to someone here. I will say I might be willing to take a little less for it, but not much. It will be new in a box (unopened) and guaranteed to fit and work! If you low ball me I'll just send it back to the seller on eBay. This is the best deal I have found so far for a brand new OEM Front 02 sensor for these cars.

Let me know soon. I do have a limited time before I have to make a decision regarding whether to send it back or not. 

-MIJ
    • By adamvolvos70t5
      I'm looking into swapping my auto to manual in my 99 S70 T5.
      I'm in the process of sourcing parts and came across an M56 gearbox from a 2001 C70 2.4
      My question is would this gearbox work? Are all M56 gearboxes the same regardless of its paired engine?
      I know that there is a M56H and an M56L, but from what I read I gather either will be fine, its just a final drive ratio difference between the 2.
      Ideally I was looking for an M56 from a 1999 or 2000 S70 T5 so I'll know for sure that it'll work, but that's hard to find.