Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wesdunns70t5m

Timing belt job advice

8 posts in this topic

So today at a gas station I notice coolant flowing on the ground from under my car.  Upon a quick inspection I believe it's the water pump (coming from above front passenger cv boot). Luckily I was able to make it home without any problems. 

I just hit 300k miles so I was planning on doing a complete timing belt job with vivas Kevlar belt kit.

i was just wondering what's the best guide people have used, and does anyone have any advice or tips before I dive in as this will be my first time tackling this.  Thanks in advance everyone!

If rather just get it from viva because it comes as a kit with everything so there's no way I could get the wrong belt or something.

this might be a stupid question, but are the timing belt and serpentine belt the same belt on these cars, or are they two completely different belts?

Did you look at the post or video? It is clear that the belts are different.

Serpentine belt is what drives the alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor. That is what is being done on #3 and #4 of the article ointed to above. 

...told you it was a stupid question haha.  Sorry about that though, I wasn't gonna read/watch either of them until I was actually ready to do the job.  

Its always good to look over all the information before hand to make sure you have all extra parts and tools that may be needed.

• Similar Content

• By Max Meade
      Hey guys!
      My car has been making noises in the front right strut whenever I go over bumps, so I took it to a mechanic today to get an idea of what is wrong. Unfortunately, once I got it up on the rack, it looked pretty bad. Although I used to baby my car, these days I just do not have the time to take care of it. It's starting to look like I will be paying for that now.
      I got a quote from the mechanic (attached), who says I need to replace the shock mounts, front lower control arms, drive axles, ball joints, etc. on both sides. He seems like a trustworthy mechanic and they have good reviews, but just to be safe (had a really bad experience with my last mechanic), I wanted to run it by some of you on here who have a much better idea of what I should be looking at than me. I posted some pictures of what I say under the car as well. I really just want an opinion on whether or not everything recommended is necessary, and if they prices for parts/labor is realistic. 
      Thanks everyone.
      Max

• By adamdrives
      Hey guys, having a frustrating problem with my s70. After installing new outer tie rods, ball joints, iPd bars and pressing new bushings into '93 arms, I had the car aligned, only to have it pull to the left. I took it back and found that one of the control arms had shifted rearward on the bushings. I fixed the bushing issue so they are secure, and had it re-aligned. Guess what? Still pulls left. I took it back again, stupidly offering to pay to have it aligned again just to get it dealt with. Still pulls left! I decided to take it to another shop after asking to see the alignment sheet and figuring out they weren't touching the rear as it "was not adjustable". As we all know, it is. Lesson learned; don't take fwd Volvos to Rockland Tire in Monsey. The second shop aligned it properly, starting with the rear delta links. Still pulls left. Must be a fluke, took it back: still pulls.
      At this point I don't even want to drive the car, this little issue is driving me nuts. It's a slight pull on the highway, enough that it isn't very noticeable unless you take your hands off the wheel, but in stop and go traffic the wheel wants to "roll" to the left as you come to a stop. That, and I know it's there so I can't be satisfied :P
      One thing I noticed when adjusting the arms was that the front DS subframe bolt seems to be pushed back slightly. This would in theory cant the whole front of the car to the left, though I would think with alignment that wouldn't matter, or it would show up in alignment. Could this be the source of my issue? Now that I write about it and review the pictures it seems obvious that it could be, but I'd like to get some input before I spend any more time dealing with this issue. 
      EDIT: it occurs to me that if the subframe shifted back on the left, the bolt would be relatively moved forward. So maybe this isn't relevant. 

• By grasshopperR
      Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!
      Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice
    • By Leo850T5
      OBX aluminum strut brace Type V2 model for a P80 850, V70, S70, C70. Used in good condition, one of the mounting points is slightly bent but the material is soft enough that it doesn't really matter. Asking for $75 shipped.

• By RobT5M
      Back story. 

Replaced driver side axle after it broke a few months ago and went on my way.

slowly over the last couple months a vibration started and eventually got worse. 
      Replaced pass axle over the weekend as it was worn and needed to be replaced.  
      Vibration under load (accl) decreased exponentially but it is still there a little. 

What should I be looking at/for?   

Wheel bearing on pass side?    
      Pass side lower motor mount?  
      Driver side axle? 

I've heard the pass side motor mount can cause a vibration under load when bad, did not replace it when the engine was out, just front, rear and upper mount. 

Fishing for answers/suggestions.