Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wesdunns70t5m

Timing belt job advice

So today at a gas station I notice coolant flowing on the ground from under my car.  Upon a quick inspection I believe it's the water pump (coming from above front passenger cv boot). Luckily I was able to make it home without any problems. 

I just hit 300k miles so I was planning on doing a complete timing belt job with vivas Kevlar belt kit.

i was just wondering what's the best guide people have used, and does anyone have any advice or tips before I dive in as this will be my first time tackling this.  Thanks in advance everyone!

If rather just get it from viva because it comes as a kit with everything so there's no way I could get the wrong belt or something.

this might be a stupid question, but are the timing belt and serpentine belt the same belt on these cars, or are they two completely different belts?

Serpentine belt is what drives the alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor. That is what is being done on #3 and #4 of the article ointed to above. 

Its always good to look over all the information before hand to make sure you have all extra parts and tools that may be needed.

• Similar Content

• By JA VOLVO
      I am sure it is on here somewhere, but I have not been able to find it. Can a 98 cluster be swapped to a 99-00? I have found going the other way and the answer was no for the whole cluster.
      Can the guts be pulled and moved to the replacement cluster so it maintains the mileage and such since the faces are the same?
    • By galexie64
      Pulled from another site: "I am now the owner of a 1998 Volvo V70 AWD Pewter Silver/Light Taupe with 191k miles on it. This will be an ongoing project with plans to this becoming a daily driver. I purchased the car on Saturday January 21, 2017 for a whopping $250. The car will need a head gasket (milk shake oil), timing belt kit with water pump, PCV breather system, accessory belt, all coolant hoses, plugs, wires, and cap/rotor. Once I have the head removed I will be able to see if the car needs a head rebuild. The car also need some serious interior cleaning and a left front fender. The car came with good records that ended in about 2011. I'll be contacting the shop that did the more recent work and see if they can give me more info on the car. I'm wondering if the PCV and timing belt were actually done. The car has new brakes and shocks, no oil leaks, no rust, and a fairly clean looking motor. I do need to get an electric fan and replace all the vacuum lines."

I also picked up a set of ABM headlights with HID conversion for $100 from the guy.

I'm sitting at a total investment of $420 including the rental trailer. This should be a good project car.
      My first project was the interior. I started by vacuuming the carpets only to find out I had to pull the seats. After pulling the seats I found the center console needed to be pulled. After that I found I needed to pull the carpet to clean the pad. After that I found I needed to clean the metal pan. I don't know how anyone could keep their car this dirty. I'm not going to be able to save the carpet and I'm going to need to source a clean used carpet.

Under the rear seats:

Rear floor:

Under the driver's seat:

What the car looks like after:

After a whole ton of work and pulling stuff from the junk yard. I have a really nice clean interior.

• By Chrisonfire
      For sale is a pair of brand new front and rear IPD lowering springs for P80 Volvos. I originally bought them for my 99 S70, but never installed them and eventually sold the car. Also included is a brand new pair of upper spring seats.
      Looking to get $200 locally - or willing to negotiate a price+shipping if you are not in Western Washington. I understand these are on-sale at IPD right now, so I am negotiable.
      Thanks for looking

• By V_T5
      Used ABM projector headlight's in great condition.
      Located in Central Fl.
      Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks for looking.
      $350 shipped obo
      https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7y5rLe
    • By V_T5
      Brand new, never installed OBX downpipe. Straight flanged for 850, S70, C70 cars. Also have 4' of 3" mild steel straight pipe with the proper v-band welded.
      $150 for the OBX downpipe, or $200 for everything.
      Located in central FL. Willing to ship. Any question, feel free to ask. Thanks for looking.
      https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6eudWu