Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wesdunns70t5m

Timing belt job advice

So today at a gas station I notice coolant flowing on the ground from under my car.  Upon a quick inspection I believe it's the water pump (coming from above front passenger cv boot). Luckily I was able to make it home without any problems. 

I just hit 300k miles so I was planning on doing a complete timing belt job with vivas Kevlar belt kit.

i was just wondering what's the best guide people have used, and does anyone have any advice or tips before I dive in as this will be my first time tackling this.  Thanks in advance everyone!

If rather just get it from viva because it comes as a kit with everything so there's no way I could get the wrong belt or something.

this might be a stupid question, but are the timing belt and serpentine belt the same belt on these cars, or are they two completely different belts?

wizzard_al    122

Serpentine belt is what drives the alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor. That is what is being done on #3 and #4 of the article ointed to above. 

...told you it was a stupid question haha.  Sorry about that though, I wasn't gonna read/watch either of them until I was actually ready to do the job.  

survolvo    2,861

Its always good to look over all the information before hand to make sure you have all extra parts and tools that may be needed.

• Upvote 3

• Similar Content

• By fasteddyT5
      New, in box, set of Koni FSD for S/V/C70 & 850 cars. Replaced the set under warranty but sold the car before they were installed. I loved these on the car and am planning to put another set on my current car. My original ones (purchased 7 or 8 years ago) were an early model that suffered from known issues with the water based paint that caused significant rust issues. This issue has been fixed by Koni.
      The shocks and struts are sitting in their unopened box shipped direct from Koni USA, ready to be shipped to their new owners -- you
      SOLD 

• By fasteddyT5
      Up for sale is a stock T5 manual ECU for 1998 S and V70's (with non-electronic throttles, US spec). I just sold my '98 S70 and I am clearing out my extra parts.
      I kept this as a spare for my car, and have run it in my car on several occasions. Swapping out ECU's made a quick way to dump any stored fuel trims or codes after doing repair work. This would make a great spare for another T5M owner, especially if you want to send out your ECU to get flashed, or for someone doing a manual conversion.
      Asking $60, obo. Will ship within US (and possibly Canada).
    • By AJp80
      I'm gearing up for a manual swap this weekend. In the process of making my list and checking it twice, I've noticed that I'm missing the hose that connects the brake fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. I can't find that part anywhere, and all the part numbers I have for it are discontinued. Has anyone else ran into this problem?