Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backbutton

V90--Right brake light out, and it is not bulb.

The right brake out of my V90 went out.  It is not the bulb.  Swapped left and right, and it is not the socket/plug.  Had problem before, but several bulb replacements would take care of it, but not this time.  Do I need to replace the tailight lens assembly as someone had mentioned (hard to find).  

5 hours ago, Backbutton said:

The right brake out of my V90 went out.  It is not the bulb.  Swapped left and right, and it is not the socket/plug.  Had problem before, but several bulb replacements would take care of it, but not this time.  Do I need to replace the tailight lens assembly as someone had mentioned (hard to find). 

Fetch the voltmeter / digital multimeter. Check for power of any kind at the socket. You can try alcohol or electrical contact cleaner to clean the socket. You might have a short somewhere in the line that you'll have to hunt down. I'm not sure you'd be replacing the taillight lens, you'd want to replace the socket, or the socket's carrier, if you're gonna troubleshoot by replacement.

Wiring diagrams are available if you look around the web, but I'd try cleaning the socket and checking it with a multimeter for power first.

The bulb failure "relay" might fail.

On my car the contact board/print on the lens assembly was misalligned, when I inserted the bulb holder the contact face got on the wrong side of the holder...

I would remove the lenses for inspection as it is hard to see when they are mounted. Might want to spray with wd40 or similar to avoid breaking loose the bolts.

Not sure about US but several stores in Sweden sells repro V90 taillights, quite good quality aswell.