Oreo931

DIY: 850 Dashboard Repair

On 3/24/2018 at 8:07 AM, JA VOLVO said:

I did the Chrome plugin thing (pretty cool, did not know it existed) and printed page 1 to pdf with all the images. Here it is if anyone else is interested. Thanks for the great write-up. I had forgotten about this one.

Volospeed_-_850_Dash_Repair.pdf

Thanks but can't open the pdf.  Do you have to be a "supporting member" or something?  Says I don't have permissions.

Could you post on generic server like dropbox or something?

Edited by gdog

8 hours ago, JA VOLVO said:

Here, give this a try: Volospeed_-_850_Dash_Repair

Also updated my previous post with this link as well.

And I just saw I spelled Volvospeed wrong... oh well... Let me know if you still have issues.

Much thanks to @Oreo931 and @JA VOLVO !!

I think my 855T may need this soon; the driver's side is getting squeaky..  :sad:

@Oreo931 how much weight do you think you added to the dash? Fiberglass isn't the lightest stuff..  :a-farmboy:

Thanks again!

49 minutes ago, gdog said:

I think my 855T may need this soon; the driver's side is getting squeaky..  :sad:

@Oreo931 how much weight do you think you added to the dash? Fiberglass isn't the lightest stuff..  :a-farmboy:

Thanks again!

Completely negligible. Buy two boxes of the stuff and you'll quickly realize it's nothing to worry about. 

16 hours ago, gdog said:

Thanks again!

Maybe a couple of ounces?

15 hours ago, Brad850 said:

Completely negligible. Buy two boxes of the stuff and you'll quickly realize it's nothing to worry about. 

Agreed.

Wait, weight  is of concern? :a-farmboy: We drive mid 90's Volvos... :blockhead:

On 4/11/2018 at 12:13 PM, gmsgltr said:

Wait, weight  is of concern? :a-farmboy: We drive mid 90's Volvos... :blockhead:

I know you're kidding around and I'm sure you know this already but weight loss helps regardless of the car son. Extra weight in a Volvo is no different than extra weight in a Porsche. And honestly our cars are pretty light, It looks like I only have about 200 pounds on your gti. (without my dynamat and sound system)

Anyway I'm assuming Gdog was more concerned with added weight causing stress to the already shitty dash mounts, not quarter mile times. I actually added dynamat to the dash itself and any exposed metal behind it. That coupled with the reinforced fiber glass, the dash makes literally zero noise for probably the first time in over 10 years.