Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grasshopperR

What's the Compression like on Your Turbo 5 Volvo?

Compression  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!

Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice

On 11/19/2016 at 9:13 PM, grasshopperR said:

Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!

Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice

If I remember right 185 is considered new, and 150 is the lower end where it starts to go become concerning. I remember doing it on a 100k engine that went another 100k and I believe at the time I was mostly getting in the mid 150's. Not all gauges read the same - precision varies.

Rule of thumb is that uniformity is more important. That's because unless the car has crazy high mileage, you're not expecting all 5 cylinders to fail simultaneously. and uniformly. So if you see 140-140-140-90-140, you've got a problem, but it isn't the 140's. If you're getting uniform but low numbers, I'd probably get another gauge to confirm.

3 hours ago, Fudge_Brownie said:

If I remember right 185 is considered new, and 150 is the lower end where it starts to go become concerning. I remember doing it on a 100k engine that went another 100k and I believe at the time I was mostly getting in the mid 150's. Not all gauges read the same - precision varies.

Rule of thumb is that uniformity is more important. That's because unless the car has crazy high mileage, you're not expecting all 5 cylinders to fail simultaneously. and uniformly. So if you see 140-140-140-90-140, you've got a problem, but it isn't the 140's. If you're getting uniform but low numbers, I'd probably get another gauge to confirm.

I did 2 tests so far, one test showed I was in the 155-165 area and one faulty gauge wouldn't show anything above 60 psi. So, I don't know for sure completely.

I was pleasantly surprised by 180-190 across all my cylinders at 115k. Though I think lpts would be on the higher side. 

After replacing my cylinder head last summer (worn valve stem seals were leaking oil into the exhaust, no effect on combustion/compression) I tested mine with a rented gauge from Autozone, so I can't speak to the absolute accuracy of the gauge, but all 5 cylinders were between 165 and 170.

I was pretty happy with those numbers - for a motor with ~185k on it at the time to exhibit less than 5% variation across all 5 cylinders seemed pretty good to me.

131k fresh rebuild just over 1k ago 190 across the bar wet

On 3/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, MattyXXL said:

131k fresh rebuild just over 1k ago 190 across the bar wet

What's the dry test number? Wet test is usually used to diagnosis a problem.

No clue, I only do it wet. 

14 hours ago, MattyXXL said:

No clue, I only do it wet. 

EPIC

• Similar Content

• By mynewvolvoexp
      Hello everyone,
      I am working on a campaign to bring back the 5cyl Engine but need others to join in and also make the same case to Volvo for going with a 5cyl version of the new 4cyl engine.
      I am a loyal long time Volvo owner. I have owned 12 different Volvos over the years and have learned a lot about them and have done a lot of work myself.
      We purchased 2 new 2016 Volvo XC70's and I am very surprised with some of the issues we are having but I’m not here to complain about the issues I’m having. In fact I thought maybe I can turn this into something positive so I created an article page about mistakes I believe Volvo is making with the goal of letting Volvo know how a long time owner feels about the new vehicles.
      One of the mistakes I believe Volvo is making is going to a 4cyl which I explain on my website. I am hoping to convince Volvo to go back to a 5cyl engine but I need help from other Volvo owners and potential future buyers to contact Volvo saying the same thing.
      My problem with the new 4cyl in our 2 new XC70's is although it is an aggressive engine and sounds good for a 4cyl is that fuel economy has been very disappointing. I believe this is because the amount of boost Volvo has to run to make up for having one less cylinder when instead Volvo could have went with a 5cyl version of this engine and run less boost for the same amount of horsepower with the same fuel economy.

I thought Volvo went to a 4cyl because fuel economy was supposed to be better but we feel like we can get better fuel economy from our old 2005 5cyl Volvos. I started thinking if Volvo has to run more boost to make up for having one less cylinder which brings down fuel economy with the new engines then what is the point and why not go to a 5cyl version with less boost? Now Volvo is talking about an electric supercharger and I feel they are needlessly complicating things and could have reliability issues down the road. If you drive a newer Volvo turbo the response is almost instant so I feel this is unnecessary.
      I then started thinking about how this has possibly also hurt sales because I know some people would never buy a luxury vehicle with a 4cyl engine.
      This is the article page about mistakes I believe Volvo is making and using the 5cyl instead . . .
      Mistakes I Feel Volvo Is Making

I'm hoping I can get others to contact Volvo and tell them that they agree and that Volvo should go to a 5cyl version of the new engine. I would really like to get Volvo owners, fans and potential future Volvo buyers to contact Volvo and maybe take to social media about bringing back the 5cyl with a hash tag #BringBackThe5Cyl
      I don't feel like I can do it alone and would need help from other Volvo owners and fans that I am hoping can also join in and get through to Volvo and hopefully we can get Volvo to bring back the 5cyl!
    • By cryptophilosopher
      98 99 00 01 02 03 04 VOLVO S70 S40 S80 V40 KEYLESS ENTRY KEY FOB OEM

https://www.amazon.com/VOLVO-S70-S40-KEYLESS-ENTRY/dp/B01M28NQXR/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    • By greenellie
      Hey all! I'm planning on swapping in 'white' 350cc injectors, a 16T, and a '98 T5 ECU in my 1998 V70 GLT.
      Only issue is, I'm having serious trouble finding a T5 ECU! I need an automatic one...
      I've scoured Ebay and various other sites and they all seem to be non-turbo ECUs. I've found R and T5 upgrades online and they're all relatively expensive (150-200 bucks).
      Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      -Ellie