Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grasshopperR

What's the Compression like on Your Turbo 5 Volvo?

Compression  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is the average compression across your 5 cylinders?

• 90-110
    • 111-125
    • 126-140
    • 141-155
    • 156-170
    • 171-185+

Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!

Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice

On 11/19/2016 at 9:13 PM, grasshopperR said:

Every time I look up a Volvo compression test, it's always the people with horrible compression (90-125). I was wondering what VS has on their cars. Hopefully better!

Edit: including mileage in a post would be nice

If I remember right 185 is considered new, and 150 is the lower end where it starts to go become concerning. I remember doing it on a 100k engine that went another 100k and I believe at the time I was mostly getting in the mid 150's. Not all gauges read the same - precision varies.

Rule of thumb is that uniformity is more important. That's because unless the car has crazy high mileage, you're not expecting all 5 cylinders to fail simultaneously. and uniformly. So if you see 140-140-140-90-140, you've got a problem, but it isn't the 140's. If you're getting uniform but low numbers, I'd probably get another gauge to confirm.

3 hours ago, Fudge_Brownie said:

If I remember right 185 is considered new, and 150 is the lower end where it starts to go become concerning. I remember doing it on a 100k engine that went another 100k and I believe at the time I was mostly getting in the mid 150's. Not all gauges read the same - precision varies.

Rule of thumb is that uniformity is more important. That's because unless the car has crazy high mileage, you're not expecting all 5 cylinders to fail simultaneously. and uniformly. So if you see 140-140-140-90-140, you've got a problem, but it isn't the 140's. If you're getting uniform but low numbers, I'd probably get another gauge to confirm.

I did 2 tests so far, one test showed I was in the 155-165 area and one faulty gauge wouldn't show anything above 60 psi. So, I don't know for sure completely.

I was pleasantly surprised by 180-190 across all my cylinders at 115k. Though I think lpts would be on the higher side. 

After replacing my cylinder head last summer (worn valve stem seals were leaking oil into the exhaust, no effect on combustion/compression) I tested mine with a rented gauge from Autozone, so I can't speak to the absolute accuracy of the gauge, but all 5 cylinders were between 165 and 170.

I was pretty happy with those numbers - for a motor with ~185k on it at the time to exhibit less than 5% variation across all 5 cylinders seemed pretty good to me.

131k fresh rebuild just over 1k ago 190 across the bar wet

On 3/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, MattyXXL said:

131k fresh rebuild just over 1k ago 190 across the bar wet

What's the dry test number? Wet test is usually used to diagnosis a problem.

No clue, I only do it wet. 

14 hours ago, MattyXXL said:

No clue, I only do it wet. 

EPIC

• Similar Content

• By justanotherhumanoid
      Looking for a TD04HL-16T or TD04HL-18T turbocharger such as the 16T found on 2001-2004 (maybe up to 2005?) Volvo S60 T5 vehicles (for the 16T) or 1999 V70R vehicles (for the 18T). 

Will replace a TD04L-14T which I believe has both coolant ports on the back.

San Diego area would be ideal, will pay for a rebuilt one shipped if good rep.
    • By Crossthreaders
      Hi everyone, just joined the forum and hoping I can get some help😁Just purchased my first car, a 94 850 T5 and looking at some different wheels. I had a quick look on here and people are saying that 17x7 and around a 38-40mm offset is the most you’ll be able to fit on an 850. Currently I’m looking at these V50 wheels, the issue is that they are 17x7.5 and have an offset of 52.50. I really quite like them and for $400 for a set of 5 it seems like a good deal. Does anyone know if I can get these to fit/what modifications I’ll have to do? Also, I hear something about late model wheels not fitting because of their hubcentric sizes or something?
      The tires on them are 225/45/17 if that helps, I read 225 is as much tire as you can get on an 850 aswell. Any help is appreciated!

• By ovlov780t
      Here she is. Putting her up for sale. All offers will be considered. 
      https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1998-volvo-s70-t5-manual/6705737681.html 

• By rcgomes
      hello, i buy a 2001 97k klm s60 t5. im reparing the car now, change the belt, plugs, etcetc. Im planing to know now "for save coin" the mods to make after the basic things done. i search rica and BSR flashtune but this is good only for stock turbo after change the turbo is useless. So what you guys experts thing about for mod the car for power widout open engine to upgrade rods etc? i search if i install a k24 turbo (hight spin turbo) this will put the torque enter sooner and maby will bend rods... and if lets say i upgrade for a t3tt4 50 trim turbo gt35?? maby will spin only after 3000k and dont put stress in botton end? 
      can help please? i plan to mod car for around 350/380 hp
      first thing KN filter, snabb bigger intercooler and pipes, Downpipe. thank you for help...
      now the car is stoped because have all parts atock, so plugs, belt, gas filter, and all oils for now. thanks
      skf good brand for belt kit and pump? and mahle gas filter?oem plugs.  thank you
    • By cryptophilosopher
      selling a set of s60r wheels 18"/7" great condition, straight center hub was bored to 65.1 mm for use on my 98 v70  will fit any volvo with a 65.1 hub or smaller. $800

selling remote fobs, these are all new in box .  the battery's may need to be replaced $25
      i work at a former Volvo dealer and these were some of the inventory left behind 

launch x431 scanner , lightly used  looks new i have all parts and papers, im the original ower and can transfer ownership to you with launch. upgrade able software. matco  sells these scanners now

have original volvo scanner for 96-2000 volvos  v70, s70 ,850 , 740, 960, and others in that time frame. can be used for code reading, date and key programing.

willing to ship, shipping on fobs is $10   the scanner and wheels i need to get a estimate   crypto currency  bitcoin  accepted. email me cryptophilosopher@gmail.com parts are located in concord california