Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piston Slapper

Nailing down an upgrade path for P2 XC70

So... been awhile since I've posted on the forums, but I figure it'll be best to ask all my dumb new-to-P2 upgrade questions here than on facebook.

Let's start with the vital info... 2004 XC70, 152k miles, very well maintained by the various members of my family it has been passed around by. I want to make it faster and handle a bit better, but nothing too crazy.

So, for starters, will a downpipe for a P2R bolt up? Need something thick and catless in my lift. OBX or... ?

I think I've got the P2R airbox swap figured out, just need some reducers to make the tubing fit the turbo inlet (I have heard the mitsubishi inlet is smaller than K24) and make existing MAF fit in the airbox hole for the time being until it's tuned.

Turbo wise, what is stock on an 04 LPT? 13g? 14t? Anyway, I have an R manifold and 19t that I was going to rebuild and shove in the S70 AWD that I could redirect for use here.

I personally don't like the FMIC look at all on P2s, so a drop in would be the way to go, anyone's P2 drop in better than everyone else's? 

Tuning... ARD, right guys? :a-farmboy:

Suspension wise, I don't know if I want to lower it, kinda like the taller stance. Lifting may be on the table in fact, with the Bad Swede kit, although I want to know how stiff they are first. OE V70 AWD springs would work to lower a bit I assume? Would I need non-XC control arms if I lower it at all? 

But mainly sways, the debate being between OE R sways (V70Rs are larger than S60Rs, right?) or iPd sways. I do <3 my S70's iPd sways. Endlinks of some kind, duh.

Solid mounting the upper engine mount bar to turn it into a strut brace, if that actually works? 

It's definitely getting my 18x8 TDR 1.2s since the Mich PSSes on them are basically bald, new tire size will depend on what I decide to do for ride height.

What P2 brakes bolt on? R stuff probably, but what about the bigger XC90 brakes?

For my '05 XC I'm just going to do an R swap. K24, greens, 3" downpipe and a conservative sounding 2.5" exhaust, R brembos front and rear. I'm also going to add in a transmission cooler. When tuned I think I should be around the 270WHP mark, which I think will be fine for a comfortable daily. 

Stock turbo should be a 13t on that, and I think that you'll probably find that it already has an R manifold, that was right around the time they started using them in everything. I have no experience with drop in replacement intercooler on the P2 cars, but I would think that a FMIC would still be more effective, simply due to the placement of the stock intercooler.

Stock turbo is a TD04H-14T. No, not a TD04HL like the P80s and most P2s; Volvo used a TD04H on the 2.5 LPT motors. This means they have a smaller turbine wheel than the rest of the P2s; so any turbo upgrade will require a different hot side. 

04 will have a japanifold, so you could put an R manifold on it if so desired.

Snaab's IV setup looks super nice, no firsthand experience though.

Strut brace conversion actually makes a big difference on the P2s, and is pretty cheap/easy to do.

I don't see any advantage to going with XC90 brakes over R Brembos - sure, the rotors are a few MM larger, but the calipers are still a sliding, single piston design and weigh a lot. To me, Brembo are easier to maintain/service as well as better performing in every way so any chance to ditch the stock style sliding calipers for a nice fixed setup is a no-brainer.

Really want to do everything Aaron is planning to an 07XC70...

Good luck with the mods! Post pics!

9 hours ago, andyb5 said:

Stock turbo is a TD04H-14T. No, not a TD04HL like the P80s and most P2s; Volvo used a TD04H on the 2.5 LPT motors. This means they have a smaller turbine wheel than the rest of the P2s; so any turbo upgrade will require a different hot side. 

04 will have a japanifold, so you could put an R manifold on it if so desired.

Snaab's IV setup looks super nice, no firsthand experience though.

Strut brace conversion actually makes a big difference on the P2s, and is pretty cheap/easy to do.

I don't see any advantage to going with XC90 brakes over R Brembos - sure, the rotors are a few MM larger, but the calipers are still a sliding, single piston design and weigh a lot. To me, Brembo are easier to maintain/service as well as better performing in every way so any chance to ditch the stock style sliding calipers for a nice fixed setup is a no-brainer.

Do the TD04H's use different coolant lines as well Andy? I have a 16T from a (I believe) 2004 T5 that I have thought about swapping onto my 2005 V70 2.5, but I heard something about different coolant lines on P2's so I wasn't sure when or what changed

26 minutes ago, woah4 said:

Do the TD04H's use different coolant lines as well Andy? I have a 16T from a (I believe) 2004 T5 that I have thought about swapping onto my 2005 V70 2.5, but I heard something about different coolant lines on P2's so I wasn't sure when or what changed

if the 16T is off a 2004 it should bolt right up to the 2005 with no problems 

I've had the XC90 brakes on my older S60, and now have the S60R Brembos. Both had phenomenal stopping compared to the stock 302mm discs. I also had a problem finding the correct pads for the front. XC pads worked fine, but seemed to have a build up of pad material on the discs, and I periodically had to make 1 or 2 hard stops from speed to clean the material off the discs. Just a minor pain in the *.

It was a no-brainer as far as difficulty in installing the R brakes; I had to do some machine work to make the XC brakes fit. You need to consider the backing plates as well. Unless you are racing, they should be there. R brakes are more expensive, no doubt, but I have no doubt I am happier with the brembos. 

17 hours ago, woah4 said:

I think only the K24 uses different lines, but I could be wrong.

On 1/19/2017 at 2:48 AM, Tightmopedman9 said:

For my '05 XC I'm just going to do an R swap. K24, greens, 3" downpipe and a conservative sounding 2.5" exhaust, R brembos front and rear. I'm also going to add in a transmission cooler. When tuned I think I should be around the 270WHP mark, which I think will be fine for a comfortable daily. 

Any chance this means you'll be getting into the ME-7 tuning game TMM?