Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbor850

Can someone get me up to speed? Its been 6ish years.....

On 5/29/2017 at 0:43 PM, yangotang said:

Both were MK7s - e-golf and the golf-r were both lemons plagued with issues....

Wow, first time I've ever heard of either of those problems...really don't blame you there after all.

1 hour ago, gmsgltr said:

BUT AWD BRO AND 0-60 in sub 4 lol - agreed. Ugh.

Did you get the performance pack on the GTI?

1 hour ago, ruecatinat said:

Wow, first time I've ever heard of either of those problems...really don't blame you there after all.

Did you get the performance pack on the GTI?

Yup :) The big brakes and lsd are amazing honestly... now have it on VWR springs and spacers and stage 1 tuning. It just roasts the stock tires lol

21 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Yup :) The big brakes and lsd are amazing honestly... now have it on VWR springs and spacers and stage 1 tuning. It just roasts the stock tires lol

That's the goal for my next car / fun car, I put too much mileage on to daily one. What tune? 

I think the GTI is a perfect daily honestly. I will never drive a cookie cutter... and this is close, ill admit, and not 'rare' by any means but it honestly checks every box. I know all the magazines and garage reviewers and top gear elitists love the gti but it truly is a jack of all trades...

I have the burger motorsports jb1 piggy back tune (cannot be detected if removed and taken to dealer) - 260-275 whp and 30mpg. Also takes regular gas. I have 25k on it in a year and a half.

On 6/2/2017 at 11:46 AM, gmsgltr said:

I think the GTI is a perfect daily honestly. I will never drive a cookie cutter... and this is close, ill admit, and not 'rare' by any means but it honestly checks every box. I know all the magazines and garage reviewers and top gear elitists love the gti but it truly is a jack of all trades...

I have the burger motorsports jb1 piggy back tune (cannot be detected if removed and taken to dealer) - 260-275 whp and 30mpg. Also takes regular gas. I have 25k on it in a year and a half.

+1 on everything there except for DSG:closedeyes:

I LOVE the dsg. its amazing.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, yangotang said:

C30: ABS Module issues. Locked up front Right brake on every freeway offramp due to the wheel sensor believing it was spinning at 0mph. Apparently Volvo said this "pulsation" was a 2013 model year only issue.

I wonder if you had issues with the wheel bearing. I know Volvo came out with a wheel bearing brace to prevent the wheel bearing from separating from the knuckle, triggering ABS issues. It was such a common issue they made the brace and issued an extended warranty.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?218691-MyNameIdeasWereTaken-C30-Progression-Thread&p=4910753&viewfull=1#post4910753

Part of me really wants a Mk7 as a daily... preferably a red GTI.

Downpipe and tune gets you 300whp and 30mpg haha - just nowhere near as cool as an 850 R like yours or mine :cool:

37 minutes ago, gmsgltr said:

Downpipe and tune gets you 300whp and 30mpg haha - just nowhere near as cool as an 850 R like yours or mine :cool:

You can make faster than our P80s (or at least faster than mine anyways) but you just can't add that amount of personality to it. :cool:

23 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

I LOVE the dsg. its amazing.

Different strokes - I don't deal with a lot of traffic on my commute so I can't speak for you but with a shift kit the VW manuals are quite satisfying

18 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

I would but I do 110kms a day - I want it as a fun car!

17 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

You can make faster than our P80s (or at least faster than mine anyways) but you just can't add that amount of personality to it. :cool:

This is true - both of you guys are in unique situations in that you've had the 850s since very low mileage and kept them in immaculate shape. I'd love an 850R but it would take me years and thousands to either find something in such nice condition or repolish a high mileage beater...

2 hours ago, ruecatinat said:

This is true - both of you guys are in unique situations in that you've had the 850s since very low mileage and kept them in immaculate shape. I'd love an 850R but it would take me years and thousands to either find something in such nice condition or repolish a high mileage beater...

I was fortunate to pick mine up from my mom, which was maintained by my dad. I know what you mean... the last one really like what you described was my Olive wagon and I'm done with all of that. The yellow is my project car now so if I ever get a car to replace my S, it probably won't be a $1K fixer-upper.

In a couple of weeks, my commute is gonna change to 100km a day so that's got part of me thinking of looking at something more economical for a daily... but for now the S should be good. Comfort level of the P80s are fine, I'm just thinking more on gas as I'm sure the difference between 87 and 91 adds up after while. :tongue:

22 minutes ago, RBoy8 said:

so that's got part of me thinking of looking at something more economical for a daily...

Maybe a c30? I get 24mpg city. And then you can really be part of the c30crew. :biggrin:

21 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

I think the GTI is a perfect daily honestly.

meh. I had a mk5 when I was still commuting and it was OK, the gas mileage suffered whenever I didnt drive like a grandma, the car was thirsty and had a relatively small tank... would have preferred the 4 door as the rear windows not even cracking was annoying, the only things I kind of miss after going back to P80's/volvo is the headlights and maybe the DSG(exhaust note was pretty sweet when shifting at higher rpm's also, hence the tendency for shitty mpgs haha) .. the leather 'autobahn' seats were comfortable enough for short distances but quite firm compared to volvo seats ....  jettas, rabbits, kind of chick cars IMO .. like a mazda 3 .. lol .. . should have never traded in my S60 T5 for that car :)  

edit, it was a 2007 mk5, im dumb :)

you had a mk7?... a 2015 or newer golf? for how long?