Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbor850

Can someone get me up to speed? Its been 6ish years.....

5 minutes ago, gmsgltr said:

you had a mk7?... a 2015 or newer golf? for how long?

my mistake, I wasnt paying close enough attention to this, it was a 2007 mk5, my bad ..  I had it for 3 years ... time flies!

another thing that really annoyed me about that car was VW dealership in complete denial about the speedo being 4mph off and would never correct the issue under factory warranty..  

ok... wanted to make sure lol

3 hours ago, NEU said:

Maybe a c30? I get 24mpg city. And then you can really be part of the c30crew. :biggrin:

I've thought about that! It would have to be non-turbo though, which we did also get in Canada.

I'd look at something that can take 87.

Do the new VWs still smell like crayons on the inside?

Hahahah the mk4 jetta certainly did lol... the mk6 jetta and golf don't... nor does the mk7 golf

Okay good... back to dreaming of a red Mk7 GTI... or red Golf Sportwagen. :wub:

8 hours ago, NEU said:

Maybe a c30? I get 24mpg city. And then you can really be part of the c30crew. :biggrin:

a c30 t5 is not practical as a daily by modern standards....

The issue I have with all of this is that I want my DD to be a throwaway car, like a cheap NA 850 or something.  Why would I want to get in so high on the depreciation curve on something that I'm going to drive the wheels off of?  I'll be adequately comfortable and safe in a cheap old Volvo, and then I'll have an extra $20k to put into my 850s or sailboats or banjos or retirement or whatever else I want. 

As long as there is no salt on the streets and I'm not commuting into the city, I wouldn't have much of an issue with using my R as a DD.  It's over 270k now so I'm winning any low mileage awards at this point no matter what.  Just gotta keep it away from the big hazards like winter and big city rush hour.....but then, if I'm commuting into the city, I'm taking public transportation anyway, so I don't even need a DD at that point.

9 hours ago, yangotang said:

a c30 t5 is not practical as a daily by modern standards....

I love mine as a daily, it's better than a '00R....  :blink:

I didn't realize people still come here anymore.

You came on her? er here?

Drove the C30 when deciding on the Mk7 gti. Night and day. As much as I love Volvo and the looks of the c30 I couldn't do it.

12 hours ago, JaredR1 said:

The issue I have with all of this is that I want my DD to be a throwaway car, like a cheap NA 850 or something.  Why would I want to get in so high on the depreciation curve on something that I'm going to drive the wheels off of?  I'll be adequately comfortable and safe in a cheap old Volvo, and then I'll have an extra $20k to put into my 850s or sailboats or banjos or retirement or whatever else I want. 

As long as there is no salt on the streets and I'm not commuting into the city, I wouldn't have much of an issue with using my R as a DD.  It's over 270k now so I'm winning any low mileage awards at this point no matter what.  Just gotta keep it away from the big hazards like winter and big city rush hour.....but then, if I'm commuting into the city, I'm taking public transportation anyway, so I don't even need a DD at that point.

Problem for me is I can't drive a beater, so if it's in dinged up, I'd go crazy. An NA P80 would be idea though since it would be cheap to maintain and easy to fix. While it has some quirks here and there, my S70 is great as the PO was my grandfather. My main concern is petrol though... I'm gonna keep an eye on how much I spend for the next month when I start my new job, and try and calculate how much I would save if I were to fill up on 87 vs. 91.

I can't bring myself to filling up the S with 87 though. :closedeyes:

get a tune to allow for 87 ;)

22 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

I was fortunate to pick mine up from my mom, which was maintained by my dad. I know what you mean... the last one really like what you described was my Olive wagon and I'm done with all of that. The yellow is my project car now so if I ever get a car to replace my S, it probably won't be a $1K fixer-upper.

In a couple of weeks, my commute is gonna change to 100km a day so that's got part of me thinking of looking at something more economical for a daily... but for now the S should be good. Comfort level of the P80s are fine, I'm just thinking more on gas as I'm sure the difference between 87 and 91 adds up after while. :tongue:

22 hours ago, NEU said:

In my V50 2.4i A/T I got near 30mpg - couldn't come near that in the 850 or S70. If you're sticking to Volvos trade the S70 in for a V50/S40/C30. The T5 is worse than the 2.4i but along with better mileage (compared to a P80) you get all the chassis improvements!

That being said, if you cross over to the dark side (VW) almost everything is cheaper, easier to find, aftermarket is a million times better, insurance and crash ratings are almost comparable, and gas mileage is way better. BUT - they rust, the seats suck, the headlights are garbage (unless you get the rare models with HIDs) and oil standards are annoying.

2 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Drove the C30 when deciding on the Mk7 gti. Night and day. As much as I love Volvo and the looks of the c30 I couldn't do it.

Can elaborate what's so bad about the p1s over the GTI?

Personally, modern VW are too problematic, especially with there track record. Too many simple issues that they cut corners on and feeds there bad rep.

1 hour ago, RBoy8 said:

My main concern is petrol though... I'm gonna keep an eye on how much I spend for the next month when I start my new job, and try and calculate how much I would save if I were to fill up on 87 vs. 91.

I can't bring myself to filling up the S with 87 though. :closedeyes:

Well a t5 may not be for you. You can run 87, but it's not fun. When I ran 89 I noticed that I actually lost MPG by a mile or two. Maybe cause I had to get into is more to move like it does with 93. Maybe the NA c30 is more to your in your ballpark. That would make a nice eco C, make it as aero as possible. :cool:

19 minutes ago, ruecatinat said:

In my V50 2.4i A/T I got near 30mpg - couldn't come near that in the 850 or S70. If you're sticking to Volvos trade the S70 in for a V50/S40/C30. The T5 is worse than the 2.4i but along with better mileage (compared to a P80) you get all the chassis improvements!

My t5 with the AW55 got 28mpg hiway and that was at 80mph, so if I slowed down it would have gone up. Best part about the p1 is the chassis and the fact that it shared with the Focus and Mazda3. In my 20 years of Volvo owning this easiest and cheapest to buy performance chassis parts.