Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turbor850

Can someone get me up to speed? Its been 6ish years.....

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, NEU said:

Well a t5 may not be for you. You can run 87, but it's not fun. When I ran 89 I noticed that I actually lost MPG by a mile or two. Maybe cause I had to get into is more to move like it does with 93. Maybe the NA c30 is more to your in your ballpark. That would make a nice eco C, make it as aero as possible. :cool:

 

+1.  We experimented with running my dad's '99 NAm on 87 and the losses far exceeded the savings.

 

 

1 hour ago, ruecatinat said:

 

In my V50 2.4i A/T I got near 30mpg - couldn't come near that in the 850 or S70. If you're sticking to Volvos trade the S70 in for a V50/S40/C30. The T5 is worse than the 2.4i but along with better mileage (compared to a P80) you get all the chassis improvements!

Manual NA.  We usually get 28-32 tank average in my dad's depending on what we're doing with it.  I get 30+ on the highway in my T-5R too when I can get decent gas.....only get like 22 around town with the automatic though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NEU said:

Can elaborate what's so bad about the p1s over the GTI?

 

Neu - Just to be clear... c30 isn't bad... I was just exclaiming how much better the mk7 gti is to me... and to be honest too... the MK7 GTI is a 'newer car' by 2-3 years also so it 'should' have some advancements...

 

It was a very easy decicion for me - In late 2015 (height of dieselgate) when I bought my 2016 MK7 GTI, a nice low mileage '12/'13 loaded CPO C30 cost 21-26k. A brand new vw gti se (mid level) dsg with performance package cost 28k.

MK7 GTI is faster, better handling, better braking, better aftermarket, more space, 4 doors, better depreciation, better mpg, better interior, better sound system, better connectivity, 87 gas without a tune, better visability, more comfortable (minus the seats) more refined total driving experience.

The C30 is a Volvo, so I'd prefer that over VW due to brand loyalties :cool: :a-farmboy: also I like the looks of the c30 better. The c30 is less common/more unique, and offered in a better color pallet. The manual c30 transmission is better than the manual mk7 gti transmission in my opinion as well. But the Volvo auto is silly and the VW dsg auto is legendary...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JaredR1 said:

+1.  We experimented with running my dad's '99 NAm on 87 and the losses far exceeded the savings.

 

Manual NA.  We usually get 28-32 tank average in my dad's depending on what we're doing with it.  I get 30+ on the highway in my T-5R too when I can get decent gas.....only get like 22 around town with the automatic though.

I couldn't crack 30 despite how hard I tried, I was running 87 though and mixed driving. Never tried commuting with either of those cars but the gas mileage was good for such a big vehicle. The V50 excelled in mixed driving in my experience, and it was an A/T over my manual 850 / S70s

20 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Neu - Just to be clear... c30 isn't bad... I was just exclaiming how much better the mk7 gti is to me... and to be honest too... the MK7 GTI is a 'newer car' by 2-3 years also so it 'should' have some advancements...

It was a very easy decicion for me - In late 2015 (height of dieselgate) when I bought my 2016 MK7 GTI, a nice low mileage '12/'13 loaded CPO C30 cost 21-26k. A brand new vw gti se (mid level) dsg with performance package cost 28k.

MK7 GTI is faster, better handling, better braking, better aftermarket, more space, 4 doors, better depreciation, better mpg, better interior, better sound system, better connectivity, 87 gas without a tune, better visability, more comfortable (minus the seats) more refined total driving experience.

The C30 is a Volvo, so I'd prefer that over VW due to brand loyalties :cool: :a-farmboy: also I like the looks of the c30 better. The c30 is less common/more unique, and offered in a better color pallet. The manual c30 transmission is better than the manual mk7 gti transmission in my opinion as well. But the Volvo auto is silly and the VW dsg auto is legendary...

I love C30s as well, don't get me wrong, but the MK7 is a lot more car for someone who wants to mod / drive the car. Volvos are not an enthusiast vehicle and Greg and I are not the target demographic.

I'd get my mother a C30 over a GTI any day, and I tried to find a decent C30 before buying my girlfriend a Beetle, but the majority of the C30's come with those unforgiveably awful vinyl seats or are priced way out there for a late model car. 

I'd have loved to stay in a Volvo for both myself and my girlfriend but they just don't make anything for us any more and the used market is tough because they weren't high volume cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg just scoop up a beater C30 on CL like I did. I bought new suspension, rotors and pads and fluid flush, motor mounts, control arms and serp belt and I had a perfectly driving car for pretty damn cheap. Very easy to work on due to the shared chassis and a lot of the time you can just get the Ford equivalent part (ie brakes) for damn near nothing vs Volvo pricing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are your talking to this Greg?

why would I do that lol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kevin. said:

Greg just scoop up a beater C30 on CL like I did. I bought new suspension, rotors and pads and fluid flush, motor mounts, control arms and serp belt and I had a perfectly driving car for pretty damn cheap. Very easy to work on due to the shared chassis and a lot of the time you can just get the Ford equivalent part (ie brakes) for damn near nothing vs Volvo pricing

It's @RBoy8 that's potentially looking for a beater Kevin, Greg's got a GTI lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites