Sign in to follow this  
Simply Volvo

Simply T-5R, The Build Thread : A New Hope

Recommended Posts

Awesome results!

Wasn't sure what you meant by "synch loss" but then found this link:  https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/other/megasquirt-vr/

Now I see.  Good shielding on the VR sensor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you gonna shave yet? 


congratulations dude, you now (probably) have the most powerful P80 in America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s just nuts, so stoked for you! There’s so much room to go on your setup, can’t wait to see you turn the wick up, big(ger) numbers to come for sure!

Awesome work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the entire video - wow

The dyno paperwork says you have a 4cyl haha 😛

Also thought it was funny the habit of putting your seat belt on when you got back in once to dyno haha then you quickly took it off

^im only picking at you now because, well, you have a 600whp t5r!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats man - i bet this feels really good after all the hard work and unfortunate set backs along the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably one of the cleanest high power builds I've seen ever.  Thanks for putting so much about it up on youtube.  Have a lot to go back and watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 12:04 AM, gdog said:

Awesome results!

Wasn't sure what you meant by "synch loss" but then found this link:  https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/other/megasquirt-vr/

Now I see.  Good shielding on the VR sensor?

Thanks!! The issue actually ended up being too big of a shunt resistor (resistor wired in parallel between the + and - leg of the VR sensor. The voltage was getting too high at high rpm and the decoding circuit would overload.

I switched from a 10k to a 3.3k and it has solved the issue (atleast on the street). This will 1/3 the voltage.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, Kevin. said:

you gonna shave yet? 


congratulations dude, you now (probably) have the most powerful P80 in America

Nope, not yet. I work remote for my company, so gonna keep looking like a bum. 😂

On 7/16/2019 at 1:26 AM, B_Dub said:

That’s just nuts, so stoked for you! There’s so much room to go on your setup, can’t wait to see you turn the wick up, big(ger) numbers to come for sure!

Awesome work!

Thank you!!

Definitely a lot more power in it!

On 7/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, tuner4life said:

This is so rad!! Nice work!

Thanks!!

On 7/16/2019 at 8:44 AM, gmsgltr said:

Just watched the entire video - wow

The dyno paperwork says you have a 4cyl haha 😛

Also thought it was funny the habit of putting your seat belt on when you got back in once to dyno haha then you quickly took it off

^im only picking at you now because, well, you have a 600whp t5r!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats man - i bet this feels really good after all the hard work and unfortunate set backs along the way

Shhh dont tell anyone its a 5 cyl.

Yeah I kept doing that. I would throw on the belt and be like wait wtf am i doing.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:43 AM, Commander Riker said:

Probably one of the cleanest high power builds I've seen ever.  Thanks for putting so much about it up on youtube.  Have a lot to go back and watch.

Thanks!

I really enjoy producing the YouTube videos and I think others do as well. I really want to try and take the channel to the next level. Theres SOOOO many Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Supra, BMW channels, its time for a legit Volvo one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Simply Volvo said:

The issue actually ended up being too big of a shunt resistor (resistor wired in parallel between the + and - leg of the VR sensor. The voltage was getting too high at high rpm and the decoding circuit would overload.

I switched from a 10k to a 3.3k and it has solved the issue (atleast on the street). This will 1/3 the voltage.

Seems a zener would be a more appropriate solution, no?  Thinking two zener diodes back to back (maybe a resistor in between) across the VR sensor leads?

Edited by gdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gdog said:

Seems a zener would be a more appropriate solution, no?  Thinking two zener diodes back to back (maybe a resistor in between) across the VR sensor leads?

I don’t think a zener diode would work. That would actually clip the AC sine wave. I simply want to reduce the amplitude. 

A resistor across the VR sensor lead works fine, you just need to choose the lowest value resistor that doesn’t give you problems at low rpm. I was running too high of a value (10k). Switching to 3.3k 1/3rd the amplitude and fixed the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed my sync loss by changing the value of my shunt resistor and also finally tuned ignition timing.

Session got cut short due to t bolt clamp failure.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FUCK! Dude - incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Simply Volvo said:

The car makes power and also goes fast!

 

Wish I was still out there so I could see this forreal! Real proud and happy for you man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so cool! Awesome to see the power getting put to use, not just generating dyno numbers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this